Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

Hypersonic
28 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

The reason its been 一粒榴莲 for so long is because it is translated from hokkien and not by proper Chinese.  

In the old days,  ah lian hawkers are all BTC ah beng,  so mostly communicated in hokkien, and hokkien is all fruits come in "liap". In fact  many things come in "liap" too,  like bread, also if anyone notice,  even 大白菜  is "ji liap".  So we have 一粒面包, 一粒大白菜 as well.  Nobody really bother to correct or be corrected,  and we get what we have today.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Once you understand and accept how it came from dialects, and not thinking that since it's been like that all the while,  it must be correct,  or that it was wrong from the start,  then there is room for discussion. 

I had more than once dine in old teochew makan places,  where they want to "吹烧" my dimsum instead of "蒸热", and often you hear them say "吹鱼"  instead of "蒸鱼".  When I first encountered I was quite lost,  but once I recollected myself,  I knew must be teochew. So now when I come across again,  and my children look at my with that "吹"? look,  I just say teochew, is "steam". [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I only know 吹水。 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

I only know 吹水。 😁

When the Cantonese meet the teochew,  they better know that their 吹 is no same same that 吹.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

@Tianmo Hokkien is the same 吹 is 蒸。

The teochew and hokkien pronounce the word 蒸 so differently,  for a hokkien to use 吹 as 蒸, he must have live and grown up in a teochew kumpong.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I am teochew home speaking grown up in a hokkien environment,  speaks Cantonese,  and understand hakka,  so I know what I am talking.  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

The reason its been 一粒榴莲 for so long is because it is translated from hokkien and not by proper Chinese.  

In the old days,  ah lian hawkers are all BTC ah beng,  so mostly communicated in hokkien, and hokkien is all fruits come in "liap". In fact  many things come in "liap" too,  like bread, also if anyone notice,  even 大白菜  is "ji liap".  So we have 一粒面包, 一粒大白菜 as well.  Nobody really bother to correct or be corrected,  and we get what we have today.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Once you understand and accept how it came from dialects, and not thinking that since it's been like that all the while,  it must be correct,  or that it was wrong from the start,  then there is room for discussion. 

I had more than once dine in old teochew makan places,  where they want to "吹烧" my dimsum instead of "蒸热", and often you hear them say "吹鱼"  instead of "蒸鱼".  When I first encountered I was quite lost,  but once I recollected myself,  I knew must be teochew. So now when I come across again,  and my children look at my with that "吹"? look,  I just say teochew, is "steam". [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Just ot a bit...from this article written by tw prof.....only mainland Chinese uses 个 for apple but roc OK with 粒, 颗,个 for apples. 😄

https://humanityisland.nccu.edu.tw/onesoon_her02/

I would have used 颗 for ah lian. But exam may be wrong answer.🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
20 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

Just ot a bit...from this article written by tw prof.....only mainland Chinese uses 个 for apple but roc OK with 粒, 颗,个 for apples. 😄

https://humanityisland.nccu.edu.tw/onesoon_her02/

I would have used 颗 for ah lian. But exam may be wrong answer.🤣🤣🤣

Personally I am not particular with this,  for me there is the actual thing,  and the widely acceptable thing.  One is not easy to educate while the other does not mean it is the correct thing.  I just go with the flow but not forgetting what is correct.  

For the sake of fun discussion,  it's TW,  ROC we are talking about here comparing to PRC. You know they (ROC) can speak hokkien in parliament while PRC only speaks 汉语 right?  And they use 五笔 while  PRC and the rest of the world use 拼音.  The world uses 简体, while ROC uses 繁体. Even the way ROC write their English name and pronounce them also different.  

So what we seen as acceptable translating from hokkien is not very different from what they can accept in their 闽南语 translated 国语. 

This same topic will see a different reaction if reply by PRC prof I believe.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

I don't know if we had the same teacher,  but I was taught 一粒, 一颗, 一个, from small to big,  so I am with you on this. ^_^

And btw,  go for D24 and XO,  I just had one round of D24 and they were good,  as in really good.  [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

Bro, your D24 from where and $??

I reached JW 8.30pm and stall all nobody already. Lights off and all koon already. Argh.....no durian for tonight.

Hypersonic
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Bro, your D24 from where and $??

I reached JW 8.30pm and stall all nobody already. Lights off and all koon already. Argh.....no durian for tonight.

Try SS at jalan bahar,  the little store just outside the cashier.  His selection not many,  but usually good.  And can bargain with him because he OMO.  ^_^[laugh][laugh]

So far I had good JF,  D1, BG,  and latest D24 from him.  I bought his D24 in boxes,  $18 a box,  but I very regular liao,  and yesterday morning I was his first customer, so he gave me 4 boxes for $50 after I bargained with him.  By the kg is $15/kg. 

If buy the boxes one,  ask him to choose,  so far 100% hit rate.  ^_^[laugh][laugh] 

But what he has is see your luck,  he usually has 1-3 different tastes ah lian only.  Yesterday he had BG,  D24 and XO only,  the red ones all end of season liao he said. 

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Try SS at jalan bahar,  the little store just outside the cashier.  His selection not many,  but usually good.  And can bargain with him because he OMO.  ^_^[laugh][laugh]

So far I had good JF,  D1, BG,  and latest D24 from him.  I bought his D24 in boxes,  $18 a box,  but I very regular liao,  and yesterday morning I was his first customer, so he gave me 4 boxes for $50 after I bargained with him.  By the kg is $15/kg. 

If buy the boxes one,  ask him to choose,  so far 100% hit rate.  ^_^[laugh][laugh] 

But what he has is see your luck,  he usually has 1-3 different tastes ah lian only.  Yesterday he had BG,  D24 and XO only,  the red ones all end of season liao he said. 

Wah....more and more to west liao.

seriously 西游记sia

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
1 minute ago, Hamburger said:

Wah....more and more to west liao.

seriously 西游记sia

Otherwise go to Boon Lay Shopping center nearer to JW , big selection there,  and I think they run 24 hours,  I think only ah.  

I was there this afternoon and ah lian many many, but new arrival price not so nice.  Saw bamboo just arrived because they put in the middle lot,  $18/kg.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

Anyone tried this red prawn before? 😁

D750047F-1BDA-487E-90D2-6F18BDD9F06F.jpeg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 13

Supersonic
8 hours ago, Tianmo said:

The teochew and hokkien pronounce the word 蒸 so differently,  for a hokkien to use 吹 as 蒸, he must have live and grown up in a teochew kumpong.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I am teochew home speaking grown up in a hokkien environment,  speaks Cantonese,  and understand hakka,  so I know what I am talking.  [laugh]

I am from a Hokkien speaking home, not influenced by Teochew environment. When we say 吹, It means 蒸。@Tianmo

Supersonic
(edited)

Ah lian is off today? Almost all stalls in Pasir Ris Dr 6 are either closed or nearly empty.

Edited by Fitvip
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Ah lian is off today? Almost all stalls in Pasir Ris Dr 6 are either closed or nearly empty.

I tink sellers and delivery guys are all very youthful...happy youth day peeps 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1