COE refinements to be finalised in next few weeks

Darthrevan

Singapore is a small market. I don't think manufacturers take took much notice of Singapore's CatA unless world demand calls for it.

The last gen Civic.. Honda came out with a 1.6 lit after requests from KM, so that it can fall into cat A..

The last gen Civic.. Honda came out with a 1.6 lit after requests from KM, so that it can fall into cat A..

coz honda is made in thailand. easier to make small batches for sg as well as local thai market.

LTA i wonder if you're dumb or simply bo chap....why bother if this what you can achieve??Audi & Chery on the same Cat?? Prob got to go geylang & understudy someting on Cat.....

[thumbsup] Though I don't like the way it was said, I agree with your general sentiment.

So happy no change lor!

You want change?

I propose COE bid and pay with full cash.

New Car price 50% downpayment.

Loan 2 yrs max

2nd hand car , no loans allowed

Ho say boh?

Then the dealers will come out kpkb again, then LTA maybe change something even more stupid? Besides, if people got the money to buy car, got extra cash slushing around already, will spend on other things, pushing prices up again.

And if can't take long car loan, maybe they take other loans to cover the additional cost, etc.. Haiz..

The biggest loser will be the VW group, as their small cc vehicles with turbos will sure be badly affected by this new ruling...

Not true, BMW and Mercedes are the worst affected.

VW and Audi still have cars like the Golf, Jetta, A1 and A3 available in Cat A.

For BMW and Mercedes, 100% of their Cat A bestsellers have become Cat B. Like the 116i/118i, 316i, A-Class, B-Class, CLA, C-Class and so on.

how they derive 130bhp? or xx kw? export into excel, use median, mean and std deviation?? Genius!

i was wondering how the magic number of 97kw came about. why not 100kw?

then i see the list...

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitst...ts-Annex-B3.pdf

and i suspect their starting point was to wipe out BMW and mercedes from cat A to make people happy. BMW 316 is exactly 100kw.

Despite all the negative comments here, I think LTA did a fairly good job with this policy adjustment

I think you must read their press release to see why they did it this way

-----------

The key explanations are found here:

7. LTA acknowledges that many who were consulted favoured cars to be categorised based on their Open Market Value (OMV). However, it is not practical to use the OMV of a car model for categorisation as OMV can fluctuate quite significantly for different batches of the same car, due to variations in exchange rates and car model specifications. This means that the same car model can end up in Cat A and Cat B at different times.

8. Engine capacity had been a good proxy for the value of a car until recent years. The new twin criteria of engine capacity and engine power will be an improvement as a proxy for the value of a car, compared to the single criterion, while giving buyers certainty over the COE category of the car model they are intending to purchase. With the new criteria, more than 90% of the car models in Cat A will have an OMV of less than $20,000, which was the OMV threshold for Cat A/B most respondents preferred.

9. To keep pace with market trends and technological improvements, LTA will review the criteria every few years and consider if adjustments are necessary.

-----------

The intention all along was to keep Cat A COE for basic cars, and popular opinion was to segregate by OMV. But this as rightly pointed out by LTA fluctuates with currency and parallel importers can play punk with this (as they have shown before)

so a good proxy was to use engine power

and reading through the list of cars that will fall in the new Cat A , they have achieved the aim. Almost all of the Mercedes,BMW, luxury type brands have been pushed into Cat B.

so their aim of bringing some social equity into the COE system has been achieved (whether this was necessary in the 1st place for a want rather than need, is a debate for another day)

So come Feb 2014, if the Cat A COE is still high, no one can blame premium brands for causing this.

Do note there is no guarantee that Cat A will be low even without the Mercedes/BMW cars. In 1994 (20 yrs ago) the peak for 1000-1600cc cars was $62,000 - adjusted for inflation is above $100,000. And these were mainly all Japanese cars.

They just have to monitor the luxury brands to see if they cheat by bringing in lower spec models, but they can readjust as needed

Good move so far

well, that makes 1.

[rolleyes]

Audis still remain in CAT A and people who wants those Audis will still completely financially out-muscle those in CAT A. In short this move fail to achieve even the most ridiculous aim it had. Yet somehow it has done a good job. There is no one as blind as one who refuses to see.

I can't believe our tax money is going to these gundus to make decisions even a 12yr old can better.

From 1600cc to 130hp? This is just like cutting my left artery instead of the right. I could almost swear that they just rolled some dice and picked out one of the items in their survey as the great policy change.

Frankly, I really don't care how many cars are purchased. If it's jammed or if ERP is too high, people will naturally just switch to public transport. Nobody wants to lose their job, business or relationship because they drove the car.

Governments have fallen because of loss of citizen equity, inflation, transport failures and making downright stupid decisions. But never because of traffic jams. My guess is that the G is just throwing us some bones to gnaw on before they really figure out the solution by 2016.

I was watching the news and they interviewed Minister Lui. If he gave his approval on this and is genuine that this solves ANY problem, I think Moulein Kallang may have new MPs soon. It is not as if he had been stellar with all other transportation issues. Talk about tempting fate. [laugh]

there have a list of car models transacted in the past couple of years

key in a bhp number that make Cat A 90% of the model < $20K OMV

y not just have a cat carrot coe?

Carrot A: normal luxuary => merc, BMW, Audi, Jag, Lexus, Land Rover etc

Carrot B: prancing horse, raging bull, maclaren etc

Chop them big big mah

SSS power! champion of Japs

how they derive 130bhp? or xx kw? export into excel, use median, mean and std deviation?? Genius!

Edited by Wt_know

cat chase mouse game

in less than 1 year ... all the car sold in cat A is bmw/merc/audi/vw again

then don't know what LTA will do

101bhp?

haha they can bring in the CLA180 and A180, 1.6L 122hp

Then same scenario again.

must give ample notice ma

else macam the 40-50% downpayment ... make a u-turn sibei lose face u know

why start next FEB?

Should start the next round of COE or at the most next month.

no worries ... 1L and 1.2L turbo will huat !

The biggest loser will be the VW group, as their small cc vehicles with turbos will sure be badly affected by this new ruling...

↡ Advertisement