COE refinements to be finalised in next few weeks

Darthrevan

no worries bro ... detune ecu to 128-129bhp coming soon .... [laugh]

Not true, BMW and Mercedes are the worst affected.

VW and Audi still have cars like the Golf, Jetta, A1 and A3 available in Cat A.

For BMW and Mercedes, 100% of their Cat A bestsellers have become Cat B. Like the 116i/118i, 316i, A-Class, B-Class, CLA, C-Class and so on.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

they must cull one of the cow ma ... if all are sacred cow then sure kena backlash

still got A1 in Cat A [thumbsup]

i was wondering how the magic number of 97kw came about. why not 100kw?

then i see the list...

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitst...ts-Annex-B3.pdf

and i suspect their starting point was to wipe out BMW and mercedes from cat A to make people happy. BMW 316 is exactly 100kw.

they must cull one of the cow ma ... if all are sacred cow then sure kena backlash

still got A1 in Cat A [thumbsup]

no, really. how is 97kw arrived at? very curious haha. A1 slipped through the cracks.

I was watching the news and they interviewed Minister Lui. If he gave his approval on this and is genuine that this solves ANY problem, I think Moulein Kallang may have new MPs soon. It is not as if he had been stellar with all other transportation issues. Talk about tempting fate. [laugh]

i really think Lui Tuck Yew is the correct man for the job at this point in time. don't underestimate his policy background. most people know him as former chief of navy, but he had also served as Deputy Secretary in the Ministry of Transport prior to joining politics. he knows his stuff, and has 20 years of poo to clean from his ineffective predecessors MBT YCT and RL.

and the poor guy really has a tough job. it's almost impossible to make people happy, unless the COE is scrapped altogether. and when it is, roads will be clogged and even more people will be unhappy. all the anger from:

- not being able to own a car

- own a car but pay a lot

- pay a lot and still jam

- jam and pay even more ERP

... are channeled towards him. [laugh] can anyone solve just 2 out of the above 4? i can't.

Edited by Alheych

Now the new 2014 Honda Fit/Jazz 1.5l is 132ps. Jazz becoming cat B is a JOKE. So Honda is "penalized" just because they created a more powerful and efficient 1.5l?

This way of categorization will prevent people from embracing new technology and engine advancement in cars. A step backwards in progression.

They could have opted for less power with greener characteristics [:p]

i wonder why they didn't peg the CAT according to the OMV - would not have a lot of the problems highlighted here.

Because people will complaint about cars like the veloster still being in Cat A [:p]

the issue here is technology advancement and efficiency

low cc high power = good drive = good FC = good car

coe system wait for > 20 years then dare to tweak

this 130bhp gonna stick for the next 20 years? or bi good !!!

very soon ... toyota, honda, nissan, hyundai and kia also not making 130bhp car liao ... it's a humiliation in the car industry in terms of advancement and efficiency

Actually, using the same tech and cutting the power, it should lead to better emissions and maybe better FC (if it isn't too heavy a vehicle).

this new ruling got so many ways to bypass sia.

i buy a 129BHP car.

i lup legal exos, change to open pod, forge pistons and reflash ecu, i can get about 20 bhp.

total spend=5k+-1k.

also cheaper than cat B.

lol

People look at the 'skin'. Your Cat A car will still look Cat A no matter what you do.

even a basic jap or korean family mpv gonna be Cat B. where is the logic in this? tink LTA gonna kena alot of flak from families for this short sighted, populist move.

I was thinking about this. We still have our options. Scenic diesel, Peugeot 5008 diesel, etc. IMHO its a good thing. They're generally better MPV's than their jap counterparts yet never have done as well.

agree. low cc low power compact smart car [thumbsup]

looking at 800-1000cc that churn out < 100bhp and < 1000kgs

29_35_19_web.jpg

Actually, using the same tech and cutting the power, it should lead to better emissions and maybe better FC (if it isn't too heavy a vehicle).

Edited by Wt_know

Merc n BMW take order like chicken rice

I go kpo drink kopi

I saw quite a few people inside mercs, bmw, audi, VW and volvo showroom. Where jap make and korea make showroom like ghost town.

:wacko:

Surely this is a fallacy? If a dude can't afford a VW because it has been priced out of his reach, he will still want to buy a car and will settle for a cat A. Now this dude is probably able to outbid another dude who is firmly stuck in cat A territory. The result is that the same people are going to end up with cars! What it means is that COE is not going to come down, assuming the total COE number is the same. What we will end up is more crappy cars on the roads which is forced upon the owner.

They know it. The consensus was that short of increasing the Cat A COE's, the prices would more or less remain the same. Whether they moved COE's from Cat B to A, or based it on OMV, the end result would end up being right here.

I saw quite a few people inside mercs, bmw, audi, VW and volvo showroom. Where jap make and korea make showroom like ghost town.

Not surprising. The bar has just gone up. As long as Cat A have more COEs than Cat B, then we should see more B&B cars on the road and do not have to feel too 'out of place' when surrounded by luxurious marques (some Cat As)

"if i get a car, might as well spend a bit more to be more with the Jones". I doubt anyone else would care. Our priorities could be elsewhere - homes, children, savings, parents, etc.

I agree that he has a tough job, and ultimately there is nothing wrong with the system. They are just 'tweaking' the perception that luxury buyers are crowding out the 'mass-market' buyers. But is that really true?

Like I said, it's just 'perception'.

1) The reason why entry level BMW & Merc are so popular is that the price difference between them and a japanese car is so little that it makes little sense not to top up a small % more to get a perceived much better car. The tree is different, but the monkeys are the same. Line up all the buyers in order of who is willing to pay the most for their COE and no matter how you adjust the quota allocation, it is going to be the same top buyers who will get their car. Like I previously mentioned, a guy who now can't afford a VW will buy the next best, maybe a jap or korean car. The rest of the guys down the line has no chance in hell.

2) And why is (1) the case? Because of the high yen and the low euro, which makes japanese cars uncompetitive, not to mention primitive technology. Plus the fact that COE quotas are a lot lesser than 10 years ago. Every round, the number of scrapped cars is larger than the number of new cars. That means some are forced to give up on their cars or forced to buy severely overpriced 2nd hand cars. But that is just postponing the inevitable. Unless LTA reissues the COEs one for one, it is not going to happen. And that is why COEs will remain high. I suspect there is not going to be any tsunami coming, since everyone is clamouring for no more feast-famine allocation. Those who bought their cars cheap during the feast period, enjoy it while you still can, for you will end up not driving or having to pay much more for your next car.

The most immediate effect once this thing kicks in is that we get more crappy cars on the road, that we reward mediocrity in car design, and we are still going to have a lot of unhappy people.

People are unhappy becos the policy does not suits them....either it price them out of the mkt or their desired car or they now have to pay more for their desired car. When asked how to solve the problem, they will suggest a policy that suit their desire. Bottomline of complaint is still the price...... do you see anyone complaining during the low COE days??? [:)]

It would be extremely interested if the COE for CAT A did not fall despite the new measure ... there is a new Audi A3 Saloon coming soon. BMW 316i can be detuned to 129 BHP from 136 BHP. Mercedes can easily bring in the A160, C160 etc etc, cars below 130 bhp.

Also why not implement immediately ... another 6 months for BMW and C&C to take orders for the current C180 and 316i before Feb.

I am sure that they can do better .......... as reported, they are still looking into how to even out the supply of COE ..... WTF. What if the root problem ? I am sure they know.

Lower the price for CAT A but no. of COE remain the same, traffic jam remain.

People are unhappy becos the policy does not suits them....either it price them out of the mkt or their desired car or they now have to pay more for their desired car. When asked how to solve the problem, they will suggest a policy that suit their desire. Bottomline of complaint is still the price...... do you see anyone complaining during the low COE days??? [:)]

That is what I felt

well, that makes 1.

[rolleyes]

Audis still remain in CAT A and people who wants those Audis will still completely financially out-muscle those in CAT A. In short this move fail to achieve even the most ridiculous aim it had. Yet somehow it has done a good job. There is no one as blind as one who refuses to see.

If you bother to read the table of cars left in the new Cat A , you will realize why the Audis managed to remain in Cat A.

If they put the power cut off so that the Audis were in Cat B, the Toyota Corolla Altis (and Honda Civic) would have also gone into Cat B. both have 90 kw.

So which is worse, some low selling Audi left behind in Cat A. Or The most popular bread and butter car, the Toyota Altis in Cat B fighting against the Merecedes/BMW crowd?

And this answers also the rest who keep talking about the Audis. Some policies are stupid, but this was well done.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool -Shakespeare