Front lower arm and suspension questions

Lengendcf

The ball joint external casing is machined to very close tolerance designed for press fit.

Frankly any shop that is worth calling themselves as professional should be equipped with such simple tools. Most of them are using wedge chisel and hammer to do the work.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I had just went for wheel alignment and mechanic test drive after the works. Informed that the lower arms is somewhat damage though I do not feel anything significant by the way it's responded. Few months back sent my vehicle for servicing with several points checks also to the undercarriage but was not reported to have any wear and tear item to replace. I only know that I had not changed the bushing or whatsoever for many years since brand new. Does it really pose any danger at all since I do not feel any driving difference at all.

• Praise 2

I had just went for wheel alignment and mechanic test drive after the works. Informed that the lower arms is somewhat damage though I do not feel anything significant by the way it's responded. Few months back sent my vehicle for servicing with several points checks also to the undercarriage but was not reported to have any wear and tear item to replace. I only know that I had not changed the bushing or whatsoever for many years since brand new. Does it really pose any danger at all since I do not feel any driving difference at all.

If yr steering still feels accurate n tight, dun neeed to change.

Just go to another ws when u free for a 2nd opinion what is damaged.

Many ws wil BS customer to change things which r not spoilt. Sometimes ty too free cos go no customers.

And ty hv no customers cos ty r lousy.

So u go figgure.

Neutral Newbie

Borrow this thread to ask problems on my LATIO

my second hand latio 2008, mileage 65K KM, last 60K service done sept last year.

just done half year check up at autosaver, told me several issues need to be replaced

1, fan belt

2, real break shoot ball?

3, front lower arm (boot? not sure, as they said must replace whole unit)

4, front shock absorber (rubber problem?)

done 1 & 2 immediately

for 3 and 4, cause totally will cost more than 1k and wait for the order the component part

ask another workshop, said might not be replaced... and can wait for the 70K

wonder if to change now and wait for the 70K service?

thanks.

• Praise 1

buy the whole arm with the bushings from stocklist, then go to your normal workshop to change.

no point changing the bushing only, they still need to press out the old bushing and that cost money also, if the mechanic screw up and replaced the new bushing in the opposite direction, then hell breaks loose....

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Dear Members,

Last Sun, I realized that the shifting of the gear was too smooth with no resistance at all. When I reached at one location, I could not engage my reverse gear. My car moved forward despite that the reverse gear was engaged. I tried to shift the gears but the indicator at the front panel was stucked at Drive. Afterwhich, the gear lever stucked at park mode. I had no choice but to call for tow service. Appreciate if you all could advice whether the following charges were ok for the repair.

(1) Auto Cable snapped - $120

(2) Lower arms going to give way - replaced the left and right at $210

(3)Front and Rear brake pads 80% used - replaced front at $48, rear at $58

(4)Replace Boot in $15 (what is this?)

(5) Link Side Bars (think is the suspension) replaced left and right - $136

(6) Towing - $55

(7)WS informed that the engine oil was low (left 1/4)

(a) Changed to Mobil 1 engine oil fully syn $103, (b) Oil Filter $10 © and replaced the leaking gasket

(8) Labour Charges - $250

(9) Spark plugs going to be finished (replaced to Diamond Spark Plugs $68)

Total Damage with servicing = $1133

In the past, my steering really got prob and the tyre workshop I went to in JB always told me the chamfer got problem and I was asked to replace the bolts. Replaced 3 times at different tyre sides. Think the real problem might be the lower arms instead. After the repair, lesser noise during idling and car is very powerful. Very smooth ride.

So am I overcharged? My car still left 2 years 1 month. I felt lucky that they never said my gearbox chiu.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Sorry for hijack. I drive a Toyota axio. Hit a kerb few nights ago. Changed rims and tyres but back right hand side tyre slanted. Was told that the axle/arm needs to be changed. Anyone knows where I can get this?

• Praise 1

Sorry for hijack. I drive a Toyota axio. Hit a kerb few nights ago. Changed rims and tyres but back right hand side tyre slanted. Was told that the axle/arm needs to be changed. Anyone knows where I can get this?

Get from stockist fongtat, min ghee, Jae auto etc.... or find from scrapyard.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Need some advice here.

My car keeps on pulling to the left. I did a wheel alignment, and the mechanic remarked that the lower arm might need to be replaced.

He noticed that the lateral gap between the wheel and fender is of different gap between the FR & FL wheel (i.e. he can insert his three fingers in between the gap of the FR wheel, but the gap is tighter for the FL wheel)

My queries are: -

1. Is this due to the lower arm?

2. Are these usually covered under warranty?

3. Can I replace at external workshops if it's not covered without voiding warranty?

4. Any good workshops to recommend and indicative costs?

5. Need to re-align the wheels after replacing the arm?

Many thanks for precious advice.

Edited by Carpark
  • Praise 1

Need some advice here.

My car keeps on pulling to the left. I did a wheel alignment, and the mechanic remarked that the lower arm might need to be replaced.

He noticed that the lateral gap between the wheel and fender is of different gap between the FR & FL wheel (i.e. he can insert his three fingers in between the gap of the FR wheel, but the gap is tighter for the FL wheel)

3. Can I replace at external workshops if it's not covered without voiding warranty?

Question is....How did the gap for the 2 front tires become different?

Is the chassis badly bent? Better scrap the car then.

It cud b very dangerous to drive such a car. [drivingcar][hur]

I wud go back to the AD n ask them to explain. [confused]

Did u hit a curb or hit a pothole hard b4? A visual inspection by a good mech sud b able to confirm if any of the steering/suspension components r badly bent. They sud b changed ASAP.

• Praise 1

Have the chassis inspected cos it might b badly bent n needs to b fixed or scrap the car. [sweatdrop]

Need some advice here.

Could it be ur shocks if one side high n one side low? Maybe can seek a second opinion.

Have the chassis inspected cos it might b badly bent n needs to b fixed or scrap the car. [sweatdrop]

That sounds too serious for a hit kerb issue right? Unless have collision, I don't think it is that bad. Perhaps an undercarriage check should b able to tell if there any issue.

I have never had an accident nor hit any curbs before.

Not sure why that is so. Need to go back to AD for further advice.

Dear Members,

Last Sun, I realized that the shifting of the gear was too smooth with no resistance at all. When I reached at one location, I could not engage my reverse gear. My car moved forward despite that the reverse gear was engaged. I tried to shift the gears but the indicator at the front panel was stucked at Drive. Afterwhich, the gear lever stucked at park mode. I had no choice but to call for tow service. Appreciate if you all could advice whether the following charges were ok for the repair.

(1) Auto Cable snapped - $120

(2) Lower arms going to give way - replaced the left and right at $210

(3)Front and Rear brake pads 80% used - replaced front at $48, rear at $58

(4)Replace Boot in $15 (what is this?)

(5) Link Side Bars (think is the suspension) replaced left and right - $136

(6) Towing - $55

(7)WS informed that the engine oil was low (left 1/4)

(a) Changed to Mobil 1 engine oil fully syn $103, (b) Oil Filter $10 © and replaced the leaking gasket

(8) Labour Charges - $250

(9) Spark plugs going to be finished (replaced to Diamond Spark Plugs $68)

Total Damage with servicing = $1133

In the past, my steering really got prob and the tyre workshop I went to in JB always told me the chamfer got problem and I was asked to replace the bolts. Replaced 3 times at different tyre sides. Think the real problem might be the lower arms instead. After the repair, lesser noise during idling and car is very powerful. Very smooth ride.

So am I overcharged? My car still left 2 years 1 month. I felt lucky that they never said my gearbox chiu.

Well I think is reasonable. Which car are you driving?

Could it be ur shocks if one side high n one side low? Maybe can seek a second opinion.

That sounds too serious for a hit kerb issue right? Unless have collision, I don't think it is that bad. Perhaps an undercarriage check should b able to tell if there any issue.

Ya but having the 2 front wheels at different heights/angle n car pulling to one side sounds very serious no matter what. [shocked]

TS sud have it professionally checked n repaired ASAP cos the car sud not b driver like that. [shakehead]

I have never had an accident nor hit any curbs before.

Not sure why that is so. Need to go back to AD for further advice.

When u took the car for 1st time I wud say it was normal n only now u notice it?

Maybe ask the e mech how it cud have happened? [confused]

Then go back to AD n tell them the problem n see if its covered under yr warranty? [rolleyes]

When u took the car for 1st time I wud say it was normal n only now u notice it?

Maybe ask the e mech how it cud have happened? [confused]

Then go back to AD n tell them the problem n see if its covered under yr warranty? [rolleyes]

The car is fine when I took delivery.

It happens only after 20,000 km when I did tyre rotation - it veers slightly to the left. AD adjusted for me, and it manage to go straight.

The same thing happen again at 30,000 km.

Recently I changed my tyre sat 32,000 and did a free wheel alignment. And it happens again after the alignment. The mech at the tyre shop did a few rounds of re-alignment for me and still couldn't get it straightened. That is when he notice the gap differential between the FR & FL wheel.

The car has been accident-free, and neither have I hit any curbs before. I may have hit some minor potholes along the way, but nothing serious.

Wonder whether it is due to the lower arm issue?

Supersonic

The car is fine when I took delivery.

It happens only after 20,000 km when I did tyre rotation - it veers slightly to the left. AD adjusted for me, and it manage to go straight.

The same thing happen again at 30,000 km.

Recently I changed my tyre sat 32,000 and did a free wheel alignment. And it happens again after the alignment. The mech at the tyre shop did a few rounds of re-alignment for me and still couldn't get it straightened. That is when he notice the gap differential between the FR & FL wheel.

The car has been accident-free, and neither have I hit any curbs before. I may have hit some minor potholes along the way, but nothing serious.

Wonder whether it is due to the lower arm issue?

Some times it's due to the tyres.

Some times rotating tyres just makes things worse.

↡ Advertisement