AIG: Claims involving cyclists doubled in last three years

Darthrevan

One of Singapore's leading general insurance providers said today (Aug 29) that the number of motor accident claims involving cyclists that they have received doubled from 2010 to 2012.

AIG Asia Pacific Insurance (AIG) also said that the number of bodily injury claims made by cyclists doubled in that same period.

"We've seen a significant increase in bodily injury claims involving motorists and cyclists over the past year," said Ms Wong Siew Lee, AIG Singapore Vice-President who heads the auto insurance business.

The number of cyclist-related motor accidents in the first half of this year has already exceeded the total for 2012 by 30 per cent, AIG said in a release.

According to Ms Wong, AIG has seen an average annual increase of 11 per cent over the past five years in terms of bodily injury claims overall.

"This is a rising trend which road users need to be aware of. We encourage everyone to take extra care on the roads," Ms Wong said.

"With the rise in accidents involving cyclists, it is very important for motorists to ensure their insurance is up-to-date and comprehensive. Whatever the mode of transport, everyone has a right and a responsibility to be safe on the road."

The insurer also said that the increase in accidents involving cyclists has coincided with the growing popularity of cycling in Singapore both as a sport and as a mode of transport.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/claim...ast-three-years

↡ Advertisement

Again discuss the issue here as this is always a hotbed for flaming and personal attacks.

Once that starts I will issue warnings and close this

Thank you

The 3 sports that think you cannot do in Singapore. mountain hiking, skiing, & cycling (on public road).

Its a combination of factors. Poor drivers & cyclist (not skill, but mindset), as well as poor road structure for cyclists. I strongly feel that if you need to use the road to cycle, you need safety gears (why bikers need helmet, but cyclist do not?), as well as follow traffic rules! I think licence & insurance to use the road, so to ensure cyclist that takes to teh road are at least if certain quality, & accountable for their actions. Drivers have to be train to share the road with cyclist also.

Edited by Kiadaw

Again discuss the issue here as this is always a hotbed for flaming and personal attacks.

Once that starts I will issue warnings and close this

Thank you

3 pages is my bet. [:p]

I think Cycling threads, as well as COE threads should be grouped together so we do nt have a new COE threads every few days, discsussing teh same thing. My opinion only.

The 3 sports that think you cannot do in Singapore. mountain hiking, skiing, & cycling (on public road).

Its a combination of factors. Poor drivers & cyclist (not skill, but mindset), as well as poor road structure for cyclists. I strongly feel that if you need to use the road to cycle, you need safety gears (why bikers need helmet, but cyclist do not?), as well as follow traffic rules! I think licence & insurance to use the road, so to ensure cyclist that takes to teh road are at least if certain quality, & accountable for their actions. Drivers have to be train to share the road with cyclist also.

It would be interesting to know the age gender nationally of these cyclist. .

I think it's the insurance company that want to raise premiums. They are just looking for an excuse.

Maybe they can choose to deny claims made from cyclists coz cannot be driver's fault all the time.

I think it's the insurance company that want to raise premiums. They are just looking for an excuse.

Maybe they can choose to deny claims made from cyclists coz cannot be driver's fault all the time.

I was with AIG and received my new quote a few weeks ago. Despite having no claims whatsoever ever and having a 50% NCD they still raised the bloody premium! And all the "benefits" they boasted were in the situation that you had a crash, no "benefits" if you never call them for 12 months. So moved companies.

I cycle on average 400km/week. You can certainly cycle safely in Singapore, but it is a case of using different routes compared to a car. I wear helmet, wear bright clothing, have 2 rear flashing lights and 1 front light (these are on every time I cycle). And act defensively and think ahead for what cars may or may not do. And of course, I follow the traffic rules.

I propose to open subforum for all these hot-topic threads, give RadX more work but also easier to monitor.

If ppl are responsible and know how to behave and discuss without getting embroiled this will be a better place

Then again world peace is but a dream

I cycle on average 400km/week. You can certainly cycle safely in Singapore, but it is a case of using different routes compared to a car. I wear helmet, wear bright clothing, have 2 rear flashing lights and 1 front light (these are on every time I cycle). And act defensively and think ahead for what cars may or may not do. And of course, I follow the traffic rules.

If others follow as you did, then I guess Singapore will be a better place for cyclists.

But I think it still takes 2 hands to clap, as one can only do this much. motorists also have to do their part, especially so as any crush with motorist normally the cyclist that is the losing end, often with unforunate consequences.

Cheers.

Edited by Kiadaw

This is a big problem in recent years, especially so after the introduction of electric bicycles. They interchange between being a cyclist and a pedestrian. Its unfair and very dangerous.

I have my fair share of cyclist. As my wife was driving off a zebra crossing.... a FT sped across the road on her bicycle..........

One of Singapore's leading general insurance providers said today (Aug 29) that the number of motor accident claims involving cyclists that they have received doubled from 2010 to 2012.

AIG Asia Pacific Insurance (AIG) also said that the number of bodily injury claims made by cyclists doubled in that same period.

"We've seen a significant increase in bodily injury claims involving motorists and cyclists over the past year," said Ms Wong Siew Lee, AIG Singapore Vice-President who heads the auto insurance business.

The number of cyclist-related motor accidents in the first half of this year has already exceeded the total for 2012 by 30 per cent, AIG said in a release.

According to Ms Wong, AIG has seen an average annual increase of 11 per cent over the past five years in terms of bodily injury claims overall.

"This is a rising trend which road users need to be aware of. We encourage everyone to take extra care on the roads," Ms Wong said.

"With the rise in accidents involving cyclists, it is very important for motorists to ensure their insurance is up-to-date and comprehensive. Whatever the mode of transport, everyone has a right and a responsibility to be safe on the road."

The insurer also said that the increase in accidents involving cyclists has coincided with the growing popularity of cycling in Singapore both as a sport and as a mode of transport.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/claim...ast-three-years

I have my fair share of cyclist. As my wife was driving off a zebra crossing.... a FT sped across the road on her bicycle..........

This morning, when i m about to cross zebra crossing, a city cab speed across zebra crossing disregarding 3 pedestrian.

↡ Advertisement