Car Accident: Who is at greater fault?

Student92

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I just got into an accident outside clementi mall taxi stand/bus stop area. I dropped off my friend already (along double yellow line). As I moved off and was WITHIN the lane (in the centre of the lane), a guy driving a rental car swerved into my lane despite me having the right of the way. It happened so quickly (he swerved at a high speed) that we hit each other like that. The front head lamp of my car against his car door. What are your thoughts? Who is likely to bear the greater burden/responsibility? I am driving the white car by the way.

Thank you.post-128464-1377941204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Student92
↡ Advertisement

Ur car in lane or not? His car in 2 lane??

U got camera?? U got more clear picture as in from a distant??

Your information not enough to give judgement.

Edited by Joseph22

Hi all,

I just got into an accident outside clementi mall taxi stand/bus stop area. I dropped off my friend already (along double yellow line). As I moved off and was WITHIN the lane (in the centre of the lane), a guy driving a rental car swerved into my lane despite me having the right of the way. It happened so quickly (he swerved at a high speed) that we hit each other like that. The front head lamp of my car against his car door. What are your thoughts? Who is likely to bear the greater burden/responsibility? I am driving the white car by the way.

Thank you.

Let me guess, you drop your friend off, mean u in total stop mode, since u block his way, he over take u or maybe change to your Lane thinking you r still stationary... But you started to move off without checking condition. Both at fault but if you move off without checking, more guilty imo.

Neutral Newbie

Nope, I wasn't in stop mode. I was already moving about 0.5 metre centre of the lane (not like cutting in). So in fact, I did my usual check and move off but his car suddenly swerve in. No plans to settle outside. I took many photos but the really good one has their faces on it so not convenient to upload.

Nope, I wasn't in stop mode. I was already moving about 0.5 metre centre of the lane (not like cutting in). So in fact, I did my usual check and move off but his car suddenly swerve in. No plans to settle outside. I took many photos but the really good one has their faces on it so not convenient to upload.

if your photo show that your car is going straight and his car is in 2 lane. likely you don't have to worry. best if go camera.

It would seem the other party should be more aggrieved than you in this accident based on what happened, because you have less liability due to your "right of way".

Neutral Newbie

Hmm if this makes things clearer: we weren't in the taxi lane and coming out - we were on the leftmost lane and they were in the middle trying to cut in front of us to go to the carpark. So I really had the right of way.

Turbocharged

Hi all,

Thank you.

U moved off fron the taxi stand area? There is a carpark entrance right after the taxi stand. Did u signal your attention to move off or check blindspot? That area is very common for cars in lane 2 to cut into lane 3 to enter carpark because of the long taxi queue. I believe liability should be 50-50.

Hmm if this makes things clearer: we weren't in the taxi lane and coming out - we were on the leftmost lane and they were in the middle trying to cut in front of us to go to the carpark. So I really had the right of way.

please try not to stop near the exit/entrance. just drive in. safer and you wont inconvenience other.

Neutral Newbie

I will say again that I was outside the taxi stand area. I.e. I was in the left most lane. Taxi stands are for taxis queuing so I was not in the taxi area but outside. I dropped my friend off with my vehicle in the lane (double yellow line). IIRC, immediate drop off and boarding are allowed on double yellow line.

Oh ok he at fault then, sorry didnt get it just now thought u in taxi lane

Btw u got signal when u move off right?

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

Neutral Newbie

But he's insisting I'm coming out from taxi lane. That will be his argument. Oh well. No video to help me. I will leave it in the hands of insurance company.

If there's a video camera, then it's a clear cut case. I would happily show it to the insurance and let them decide.

The other guy got video?

But he's insisting I'm coming out from taxi lane. That will be his argument. Oh well. No video to help me. I will leave it in the hands of insurance company.

Any witness? Its important to have witness and also can ask ur passenger to be witness also

↡ Advertisement