Alternator fail

Tcx607

alternator failed in my civic fd.

buying a brand new one from jb at 900rm.

lion city offered 250 for a recon set plus labour, very reasonable price. but decided to get a new one to last me 4 more years till scrap.

↡ Advertisement

alternator failed in my civic fd.

buying a brand new one from jb at 900rm.

lion city offered 250 for a recon set plus labour, very reasonable price. but decided to get a new one to last me 4 more years till scrap.

Is it original and shop name/location?

Hi

Need help

There is this roaring sound from engine compartment when car move off from stationary sounded very rough and happens about 2000rpm onwards.

When driving on highway which rpm is normally above 2000 there is no significant sound but feels a bit of drag when below 40km/hr.

Abit like modified /leaking exhaust sound but my car is stock. Engine is smooth when accelerate at neutral, exhaust checked and not leaking.

This roaring sound will sometimes disappear and it will be smooth like baby but most of time it is around.

Let's say a single trip has 10 traffic lights and I have to pick up from stop 10 times, 7 of the times will have this rough sound and 3 will be smooth.

Tried going to mechanic three times but every time the sound does not appear .

Tried to accelerate When in neutral and is no sound thus engine should be fine and exhaust not leaking.

Honda HRV 2015, 60k km mileage

Hi

Need help

There is this roaring sound from engine compartment when car move off from stationary sounded very rough and happens about 2000rpm onwards.

When driving on highway which rpm is normally above 2000 there is no significant sound but feels a bit of drag when below 40km/hr.

Abit like modified /leaking exhaust sound but my car is stock. Engine is smooth when accelerate at neutral, exhaust checked and not leaking.

This roaring sound will sometimes disappear and it will be smooth like baby but most of time it is around.

Let's say a single trip has 10 traffic lights and I have to pick up from stop 10 times, 7 of the times will have this rough sound and 3 will be smooth.

Tried going to mechanic three times but every time the sound does not appear .

Tried to accelerate When in neutral and is no sound thus engine should be fine and exhaust not leaking.

I think it's your radiator fan kicking into high speed intermittently. Have you been driving during the hot day when it happens?

Maybe you would like to check your coolant level or check the radiator cap for leaks.

Hi

Need help

Unable to advise much but i can think of a few things:

- your car is likely using electric fan motor, so unlikely radiator fan related since the noise will only come around 2000RPM onwards.

- next time when  your car feel draggy  at around 40km/h, turn off the aircon immediately and see if the power picks up, you may feel the difference. For a small engine car, compressor clutch in can be a heavy load to the engine. 

- likewise, when you hear the noise next time, turn off the aircon immediately and listen for the sound, if it disappears, go get mechanic to check your compressor. 

if all else fails, change car.  [laugh]

Edited by Ct3833

Unable to advise much but i can think of a few things:

- your car is likely using electric fan motor, so unlikely radiator fan related since the noise will only come around 2000RPM onwards.

- next time when your car feel draggy at around 40km/h, turn off the aircon immediately and see if the power picks up, you may feel the difference. For a small engine car, compressor clutch in can be a heavy load to the engine.

- likewise, when you hear the noise next time, turn off the aircon immediately and listen for the sound, if it disappears, go get mechanic to check your compressor.

if all else fails, change car. [laugh]

Tried off aircon but no difference.

It comes and go which I think might not be transmission, was thinking some kind of transmission mounting or engine mounting , went four mechanic but none can advise coz whenever mechanic around this car behaves .....

I went to lion city to replace my alternator to a recon one. $180.

I called the workshop in JB. They quoted rm360 (for a recon set) but as my alternator was already not working, I was not confident it could make it thru the jam to the workshop

I went to lion city to replace my alternator to a recon one. $180.

I called the workshop in JB. They quoted rm360 (for a recon set) but as my alternator was already not working, I was not confident it could make it thru the jam to the workshop

the workshop at Bukit Merah Lane 3. how was your experience there? do they still repair faulty alternators?

the workshop at Bukit Merah Lane 3. how was your experience there? do they still repair faulty alternators?

It was ok. The replacement took about 30 mins. I guess they will take my faulty alternator to repair and sell it again.

I called up 3 workshops in sg. They quoted the lowest so I went to them.

Is there a workshop in sg whereby they will open up your alternator and repair for you on the spot? I guess that will be cheaper.

It was ok. The replacement took about 30 mins. I guess they will take my faulty alternator to repair and sell it again.

I called up 3 workshops in sg. They quoted the lowest so I went to them.

Is there a workshop in sg whereby they will open up your alternator and repair for you on the spot? I guess that will be cheaper.

If you have the experience of removing  and taking apart a faulty alternator  and to check the components , cleaning and replacing with new parts ( the work amount to almost a 100% overhaul ) you can easily guess the total time is far far more than R&R the alternator.

If you are working on Bosch alternators most of them now have free wheeling pulleys that can be easily remove only with the help of a special alternator tools.

post-272-0-72581400-1516439702.jpg

• Praise 1

I got mine full recon at 9005 Tampines industrial area .

Waited and chat with Mr Leong who was reconning it for like 2.5hrs or so.. lots of work . Also shouldering done etc etc.

Was on Monday 19th Feb 2018. Lots of workshop still closed .

Could try if you are living on east side.

2.4L Accord from KM left with 7mths.

Damage below 300 I find it very reasonable as seasonal period and he just came back to pray pray and I caught him haha

96378035 he does on the spot repair too.

Can't post at least one of the pic.,

↡ Advertisement