Wheel spacers - the real truth...

Ken4555

^_^ Hi all,

Wheel spacers... Good or bad... I mean seriously....

Strut bars are good, makes cornering better. Strut bars are bad, weakens parts of your chassis.

Open pod is good, engine breaths better. Open pod is bad, lose low end and risk more dirt into engine.

My point is, most mods will cause premature wear on the car, in one way or another. So it a fully stock car good? "Never..." The car enthusiast will say...

Anyway lets get back to my topic. Wheel spacers... Some say just get proper off set rims... And seems many who are against it say it will cause premature wheel bearing wear. Seriously wouldn't a smaller off set rim (wider) also cause the small problem?

And we all know most cars are designed to under steer, so that means the rear wheel axle should be shorter. And they are on most cars... I always thought a modded wider rear will increase under steer, some friends said so... But after some research, I think in fact under steer will be less. Maybe different cars will have different effects. Anyone got facts to share?

↡ Advertisement

hmm, to me, put spacer means the nut screw in lesser. scared wheel fly out LOL.

but seriously, i think putting puts more stress on the "screw thing" and also wear out the wheel bearing (same as wrong offset)

U can always get a proper 5 in 5 out spacer with centre bore to fit ur car n rim

Or just normal spacer with fitting centre bore too n chg to extended wheel studs + long lug nuts

^_^ Hi all,

Strut bars are good, makes cornering better. Strut bars are bad, weakens parts of your chassis.

Open pod is good, engine breaths better. Open pod is bad, lose low end and risk more dirt into engine.

My point is, most mods will cause premature wear on the car, in one way or another. So it a fully stock car good? "Never..." The car enthusiast will say...

Anyway lets get back to my topic. Wheel spacers... Some say just get proper off set rims... And seems many who are against it say it will cause premature wheel bearing wear. Seriously wouldn't a smaller off set rim (wider) also cause the small problem?

And we all know most cars are designed to under steer, so that means the rear wheel axle should be shorter. And they are on most cars... I always thought a modded wider rear will increase under steer, some friends said so... But after some research, I think in fact under steer will be less. Maybe different cars will have different effects. Anyone got facts to share?

Strut bars weaken your chassis??? It allows you to corner better by strengthening your chassis actually.

Open pods, well they sound good, but they don't actually do much on their own most of the time. Almost always, the restriction is caused by everything between the plenum and airbox.

As for the wheel spacers, forget the wear on your wheel bearings. It's a wear and tear item afterall. Think about the stress on the nuts instead, and what would happen if they fail. If you must, get a bolt on wheel spacer and not those that slip over your nuts. (Is it me or does that sound wrong [laugh])

Actually a wider rear track will mean you under-steer more (or over-steer less depending on the set-up). it's just physics, and applies to all cars.

why add a spacer and alter the whole geometry of the intended design by the engineer??

waste money if you ask me.

Btw, rims are not design to flush with fenders but to move freely within the wheel arch.

I thought wheel spacers are most of the time for rims that you like to buy do not have the same offset of your original ones? If you want to extend the track whether it's front or rear it physically alters your turning radius. You might have to turn more on your steering and might risk wearing your steering rack prematurely. I think you also have to check whether the tires will rub against the fenders. I think it's pointless to widen the track coz you are not driving in a race circuit. Dun forget you are driving in Sgp. Think narrow u-turns, narrow carpark driveways and ramp.

Strut bars with no loading is also pointless. No loading as in no screw threads on the bar that allows you to tighten and lock after installing the connections to the chassis. Those hollow strut bars are a joke IMO. It must be a solid round bar which allows you to adjust the rigidity and lock in position. A bigger diameter ARB actually does a better job but it adds weight. Plus it's not legal in sgp to weld anti-roll cage or anti-roll bar in the cabin. It's pretty pointless when I look at most strut bars. Those upper strut bars only prevent some body roll but it does not make handling any better. The difference is in the original suspension setup by the carmakers whether they use muti-links, independent wishbone suspensions. These things increase cost hence you can only find them on more premium cars.

Open pod or close pod as long as it achieve what engineers call laminar air flow it is ok. If the pod and pipe produce turbulent air flow dan it's quite pointless. Here's a diagram for illustration...

laminar.gif

So how many aftermarket pods have done test to show that their product produce laminar flow despite having a bigger inlet and bigger pipe? Bigger does not equate to better. Car makers hire PhD engineers to design the air intake system. What do aftermarket air intake pod makers hire?

What do car enthusiast know about engineering to tell about all these stuff? If really you want to add wheel spacers, it's better to check with your insurance company whether they will void your coverage.

Edited by Watwheels

Strut bars weaken your chassis??? It allows you to corner better by strengthening your chassis actually.

Open pods, well they sound good, but they don't actually do much on their own most of the time. Almost always, the restriction is caused by everything between the plenum and airbox.

As for the wheel spacers, forget the wear on your wheel bearings. It's a wear and tear item afterall. Think about the stress on the nuts instead, and what would happen if they fail. If you must, get a bolt on wheel spacer and not those that slip over your nuts. (Is it me or does that sound wrong [laugh] )

Actually a wider rear track will mean you under-steer more (or over-steer less depending on the set-up). it's just physics, and applies to all cars.

Thanks for your reply...

Seriously I believe all stress on whatever part is so determined by the way one drives... Lets not go into open pods n strut bars... We will end up with margarine or butter is healthier...

Your theory on a wider rear track will under-steer more... Is like common sense to most and I have always believed it. But after some research... Some cars... Like the golf I read, did reduce under steer with a wider rear track. Physics will disagree. But think a model car or just imagine... A narrower rear track will cause under steer... So more narrow even more... So if opposite wider, easier to slide the rear and over steer...

I fcuking confusing myself sia lol...

Aiyah, just go buy a Porsche Turbo with a wide backside and your wheels will appear "spaced" out leow. Somemore stock!

[laugh] ...

I love having sex so much

why add a spacer and alter the whole geometry of the intended design by the engineer??

waste money if you ask me.

Btw, rims are not design to flush with fenders but to move freely within the wheel arch.

Okok... I backside itchy mah... As Yuan always will say [laugh]

:huh:

Wow thanks for the lesson..

I have driven for more then 10 years and owned a number or different rides. I have never put on wheel spacers. I think my driving style stresses the whole car bad enuf...my topic now is to determine if a wider rear track (say only 20mm) will induce or reduce under steer..

Cause I have read very different reports on this issue. Cause my car gonna scrap soon just trying out some stuff to make the ride more interesting... Lol if you know what I mean... :D

good summary.

and to add...

strut bar with only 2 points are quite pointless. Three point would be preferred.

I have a four point front top strut bar... My previous two point strut bar was those you could tighten. I don't feel any difference... With same tyres and suspension set up.

Just that the UR four point bar is sooooo much heavier

YES ever see Porsche originally fitted with very thick spacer at the back .

also see BMW after market rim( AC schnitzer rim with spacer fitted behind it without customer knowing)

And PML acknowledge the rim with spacer and accepted warranty (because that time German BMW acquired the rim company).

My personal POV is SAFE to use the Premium brand spacer for cosmetic reason NOT for track purpose .

and those after market Bo brand if customer made still acceptable to me

you have to make sure the spacer is hub centric (both rim and hub must match and make sure it sit properly .

^_^ Hi all,

Stock is best. I am driving a stock car (minus my brakes and dampers).

YES ever see Porsche originally fitted with very thick spacer at the back .

also see BMW after market rim( AC schnitzer rim with spacer fitted behind it without customer knowing)

And PML acknowledge the rim with spacer and accepted warranty (because that time German BMW acquired the rim company).

My personal POV is SAFE to use the Premium brand spacer for cosmetic reason NOT for track purpose .

and those after market Bo brand if customer made still acceptable to me

you have to make sure the spacer is hub centric (both rim and hub must match and make sure it sit properly .

Yes thank you very much your valuable input [:)]

↡ Advertisement