Wheel spacers - the real truth...

Ken4555

Looks like this issue still not resolved...

My input is that a wider rear will increase understeer. Understeer is where the tail refuses to kick out. Having a wider track at the rear will make it even more unwilling to kick out - i.e. even more understeer...

Like I said... Yes your input was my take all along... Until this year I came across some really In-depth discussion on a wider rear then stock for FF cars. Most FF cars come stock with the rear less wide then the front. Why? It's to induce under steer... Cause it's easier to control and under steer then an over steer...

So logically if you wider the rear, it will be easier to oversteer... I know I am making sense here, less the different tyre grip issues suspension set up blah blah blah.... But some might disagree i suppose... I read some experiments some VW owners did to their rides in the UK...

Anyways I don't think many here drive hard enuf to reach the limit of their cars anyways... Lol

↡ Advertisement

Like I said... Yes your input was my take all along... Until this year I came across some really In-depth discussion on a wider rear then stock for FF cars. Most FF cars come stock with the rear less wide then the front. Why? It's to induce under steer... Cause it's easier to control and under steer then an over steer...

So logically if you wider the rear, it will be easier to oversteer... I know I am making sense here, less the different tyre grip issues suspension set up blah blah blah.... But some might disagree i suppose... I read some experiments some VW owners did to their rides in the UK...

Anyways I don't think many here drive hard enuf to reach the limit of their cars anyways... Lol

hmmm... I think this statement is questionable: "Most FF cars come stock with the rear less wide then the front. Why? It's to induce under steer". Did they give a reason why there would be more understeer?

hmmm... I think this statement is questionable: "Most FF cars come stock with the rear less wide then the front. Why? It's to induce under steer". Did they give a reason why there would be more understeer?

It's common knowledge... That most BB cars are made to under steer because its easier to control under steer... Just brake... Then compared to an oversteer... Spinning around.

I don't know about high end performance cars or FR or RR or MR cars...

It's common knowledge... That most BB cars are made to under steer because its easier to control under steer... Just brake... Then compared to an oversteer... Spinning around.

I don't know about high end performance cars or FR or RR or MR cars...

I know the understeer part. I was questioning the idea that a rear that is "less wide" than the front induces understeer.

I know the understeer part. I was questioning the idea that a rear that is "less wide" than the front induces understeer.

Well for FF BB cars like the lancer GLXi, lancer ex, altis, vios, sunny Latio, slyphy, Getz, axio... Etc. whichever different rear suspension set up, have a smaller rear wheelbase then the front.

Well My theory could be totally wrong, it could simply be the different sizes of the rear lower arm bar....

I am no expert on this subject

FF cars are biased for understeer for safety - that's true. But actually, they naturally understeer mainly because they are front-heavy.

Their design aspects (e.g. track width) are mostly to reduce understeer, but not to the extent that they eliminate understeer.

On 9/12/2013 at 7:54 AM, Hamburger said:

why add a spacer and alter the whole geometry of the intended design by the engineer??

waste money if you ask me.

Btw, rims are not design to flush with fenders but to move freely within the wheel arch.

Well this is the reason why you should not ask about whether to add wheel spacer to flush out the rim in this forum.

I know this is a old post and i chanced it across while searching for rim spacers and this reply really gets on my nerves....

People will just tell you why upgrade, why do this mod, its a waste of money, why put bbk its overkill, why put bigger rim? waste petrol la, dont serve any purpose etc.

To me, you can do whatever you want as long as it is LTA legal and it enhances stability/look of your car why not? if your thinking is always this waste money that cannot, why do it, it dont serve any purpose except asthetic anyway, no point la my car going scrap soon blah blah blah, then i suppose you should just take grab wherever you go, its cheaper and surely cost less than your monthly car expenses.

On top of it, you get chaffeured wherever you go and you dont have to worry about your öh am i getting a 8L/100Km mileage today? how much are you getting? wah my mileage is better than you....save you all the trouble la just take taxi/grab, isnt that what you want?

That is only fuel mileage topics are the most sticky.

Edited by Ooosh
  • Haha! 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, _TaiZi_ said:

A little late and off-topic. Any reliable workshops at current to do custom spacers with the long studs?

MAY BE YOU can try google ,or online store local or oversea.

only concerned is you must know exactly what you want ?

like PCD , thickness , HUb center diameter, is your wheel original, car type etc

customer is Good idea but prepare to pay more and time and Do not expect super finishing because mostly done Manually Machined.

Neutral Newbie
On 4/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, Roberttan said:

MAY BE YOU can try google ,or online store local or oversea.

only concerned is you must know exactly what you want ?

like PCD , thickness , HUb center diameter, is your wheel original, car type etc

customer is Good idea but prepare to pay more and time and Do not expect super finishing because mostly done Manually Machined.

Will do. The premade HnR spacers are terribly expensive, i'm trying to think of a cheaper alternative which wont compromise build and durability too much. Thanks though.

23 hours ago, _TaiZi_ said:

Will do. The premade HnR spacers are terribly expensive, i'm trying to think of a cheaper alternative which wont compromise build and durability too much. Thanks though.

my Dear Friend, paying for premium = Branding = Quality assurance = LIke Eibach or HnR.

you may have seen some selling much lower price doent meant are Poor quality .it is just a some Risk factor(poor Quality) to consider.

Spacer is a important Component placed btw your Wheels and Hub or Car.

another factor to take note is Installation when new and After is also need extra care, never like to See shop using Power tools (particularly th Air type) of the Mech doesn't pay attention by forcing it this could leak to damaging the Spacer .and the consequence can me quite costly.

just MHO.

1st Gear
On 3/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, _TaiZi_ said:

A little late and off-topic. Any reliable workshops at current to do custom spacers with the long studs?

can do 5 in-5 out custom spacer at machining shop in toa payoh Ind estate.its along the same row as the tire shops

21 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

The last time I saw a shop that used a torque wrench was in the early 2000s 

They all have been watching Scotty Kilmer YouTube channel - just tighten tight tight! 

• Haha! 1

13 hours ago, Bbs said:

can do 5 in-5 out custom spacer at machining shop in toa payoh Ind estate.its along the same row as the tire shops

Referring to Cheong Onn? Good place.

55 minutes ago, tarbo said:

Referring to Cheong Onn? Good place.

ya ,chang an machine shop. ppl going to them since ages ago for wheel spacers centre bore ring 

most machine shop can do the job, but they do for cars alot, more familar if u left out some details

↡ Advertisement