Firms must advertise for Singaporeans before hiring foreign

Jman888

Another story to make you happy :D

Back to Manila after failing to get Singapore work permit

Filipino exec among foreigners facing brunt of tighter hiring laws in S'pore

Published on Sep 30, 2013

7:54 AM

Mr Edwin Macaraig, 39, with his wife Winnie Rose, 35, and their two daughters Winona Ashley, 10, and Jewel Rachele, five. He was unable to secure a new work pass before his old one expired. -- PHOTO NOT POSTED HERE TO PROTECT THE PERSON ID (but you can find in the newspaper) [laugh]

By Cassandra Chew

When Filipino Edwin Macaraig tried switching jobs this year, he did not expect his application for a new Employment Pass (EP) to be rejected by Singapore's Ministry of Manpower (MOM) - twice.

It happened in July and again late last month after the 39-year-old IT executive, who had been working in a multinational technology company for 3 1/2 years, also tried to apply for permanent residency. He was turned down both times.

Unable to secure a new work pass before his old one expired, Mr Macaraig, who is married to a Filipina and has two daughters, returned to Manila to find work.

"I would surely have wanted to continue working in Singapore had I been given a chance by MOM, primarily because of the money. My last offered package was five times what I make here in the Philippines," he told The Straits Times in an e-mail interview.

↡ Advertisement

Another story to make you happy :D

Back to Manila after failing to get Singapore work permit

Filipino exec among foreigners facing brunt of tighter hiring laws in S'pore

Published on Sep 30, 2013

7:54 AM

Mr Edwin Macaraig, 39, with his wife Winnie Rose, 35, and their two daughters Winona Ashley, 10, and Jewel Rachele, five. He was unable to secure a new work pass before his old one expired. -- PHOTO NOT POSTED HERE TO PROTECT THE PERSON ID (but you can find in the newspaper) [laugh]

By Cassandra Chew

When Filipino Edwin Macaraig tried switching jobs this year, he did not expect his application for a new Employment Pass (EP) to be rejected by Singapore's Ministry of Manpower (MOM) - twice.

It happened in July and again late last month after the 39-year-old IT executive, who had been working in a multinational technology company for 3 1/2 years, also tried to apply for permanent residency. He was turned down both times.

Unable to secure a new work pass before his old one expired, Mr Macaraig, who is married to a Filipina and has two daughters, returned to Manila to find work.

"I would surely have wanted to continue working in Singapore had I been given a chance by MOM, primarily because of the money. My last offered package was five times what I make here in the Philippines," he told The Straits Times in an e-mail interview.

Those still in IT line should be a bit more happy now. [laugh]

Yeah, 99% came here 'cos $$$ only, nothing else. You think they will sink roots here? Let's be realistic. No amount of immigration will solve our population woes unless we DIY ourselves.

Edited by Kangadrool

i heard that certain biz, v easy to get EP, others v hard, so it seems theres a control of which industry gets more FTs or not.

sooner or late word gets out n FTs will start flooding all these easy to get EP biz... problem solved or not? [:|]

u know y singies always late to such news? coz g singie bosses who r happy w such control of cse wont say anything coz they making more margin. by d time that sector gets flooded, only then is when d avg singie starts to complain, by then too late already... vicious circle

Edited by Duckduck

By the way, where will they advertise? Shouldn't the mainstream media be included? What's this job bank?

if u speak w recruitexpress etc who handle lower income sales job type, theyll tell its really hard 2 get sales promoters nowadays, so yes looks like this sector is being clamped down... but some other sectors/maybe even specific coys... no comments...

if u speak w recruitexpress etc who handle lower income sales job type, theyll tell its really hard 2 get sales promoters nowadays, so yes looks like this sector is being clamped down... but some other sectors/maybe even specific coys... no comments...

you can find many ads in the recruitment section of the major/minor newspaper across the causeway :D :D

Local IT executive with 10 years experience in the field here of which 5 years was with 2 Hong Kong dotcom companies.

Looking for job now because contract ending soon. Anyone interested? [:p]

Supercharged

Yeah, 99% came here 'cos $$$ only, nothing else. You think they will sink roots here? Let's be realistic. No amount of immigration will solve our population woes unless we DIY ourselves.

Exactly.

If they so like here, then convert to SG Citizen lah...

Supercharged

beer lah, but only get older aunties send in CV.... [bigcry]

last week in taiwan i saw many xmms selling beer like the aunties do here... :D

Were they dress up like the beer aunties in SG, or a bit more "hotter" ? [nosebleed]

Were they dress up like the beer aunties in SG, or a bit more "hotter" ? [nosebleed]

I rated them HOT, but wifey rated them cool aka 清凉 but both agreed xmm all very 伟大, at least their HIDs are [thumbsup]

What do u think then? U think all of them are here to share bad times with us? Fat hope... Most are here for the good times and our government still welcome them .. f--k sia... If we really need FT, Do a better screennig and more policies to protect the locals first.. Look at how Australia protect their CITIZENs... [thumbsup]

Higher EP minimum pay puts strain on workers,
companies Shift to S Pass spells PR worries for staff, cost woes for firms
Published on Oct 14, 2013
By Amelia Tan And Janice Heng
ST_20131014_ATPASS14_3879294e.jpg
Filipino assistant retail manager Jovie Pascual, 36, with his wife Janette, 29, who works as a network administrator. He was downgraded to an S Pass holder in August as his pay did not meet the new salary criterion. -- ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Filipino assistant retail manager Jovie Pascual, 36, is unsure about his future in Singapore.
He is unlikely to get permanent residency as he was downgraded from holding an Employment Pass (EP) to a lower-skilled S Pass in August. Non-EP holders usually find it difficult to become permanent residents.
His monthly pay of $2,800 did not make the EP cut after the qualifying salary was raised from $2,800 to $3,000 in January last year.
"I love living here. If possible, I want my daughter to take up citizenship. But I am not sure if this will happen now," he said.
Recent tightening measures
EMPLOYMENT PASS CHANGES JANUARY 2014
* Minimum salary to be raised to $3,300 for young graduates. Older applicants must earn more.
* Firms must advertise on a government jobs bank for 14 days before applying for an Employment Pass.
S PASS CHANGES JULY 2013
* Minimum salary raised from $2,000 to $2,200.
* Tiered system introduced so that older applicants must earn more to qualify.
* S Pass holders can form no more than 15 per cent of a service firm's headcount, down from 20 per cent.
* Levies raised to $300 a worker if S Pass holders are less than 10 per cent of headcount, and $450 a worker otherwise. They will continue to rise in the next two years, to $330 and $650 respectively in 2015.