Which is the best way to backup/recover data?

Kelpie

Dear all experts,

I wonder which is the most suitable external storage solution for the purpose of backup and speedy recovery for a SME?

Option 1. (Corsair Voyager Air)

I have the option to backup my corporate NAS to it via gigabit ethernet or USB 3.0. Backup may not be as fast as eSATA using USB 3.0. In a disaster, I can quickly access my data via network switch or a wireless router.

Option 2. (External HDD with eSATA and USB 3.0)

This option can use high performance eSATA to backup data from server/NAS. In a disaster, data has to be copied to a host in order for the rest to access. slower recovery.

Option 3. (External HDD with only USB 3.0)

Almost same as option 2, but restoration could be the slowest but the cheaper option.

Part of reason of using an external HDD is because it is portable, light weight and can be carried around for off-site storage.

Do you have a better suggestion than the above-mentioned?

Kindly advise me.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Dear all experts,

I wonder which is the most suitable external storage solution for the purpose of backup and speedy recovery for a SME?

Option 1. (Corsair Voyager Air)

I have the option to backup my corporate NAS to it via gigabit ethernet or USB 3.0. Backup may not be as fast as eSATA using USB 3.0. In a disaster, I can quickly access my data via network switch or a wireless router.

Option 2. (External HDD with eSATA and USB 3.0)

This option can use high performance eSATA to backup data from server/NAS. In a disaster, data has to be copied to a host in order for the rest to access. slower recovery.

Option 3. (External HDD with only USB 3.0)

Almost same as option 2, but restoration could be the slowest but the cheaper option.

Part of reason of using an external HDD is because it is portable, light weight and can be carried around for off-site storage.

Do you have a better suggestion than the above-mentioned?

Kindly advise me.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

bro.. more information before anyone can help you leh..

Your backup is online or offline, at what interval.

File system backup or db backup.

how big is the filesize ?

considering increment backup ?

Budget..How big is the company ? 1000 ppl also SME... 2 person also SME.. but budget very different.

NAS very ex leh.... small setup difficult to justify the cost.

Last time , I work in laundry factory during holiday.. they backup POS on a floppy disk.. ha ha ha :P

Edited by ShepherdPie

bro.. more information before anyone can help you leh..

Your backup is online or offline, at what interval.

File system backup or db backup.

how big is the filesize ?

considering increment backup ?

Budget..How big is the company ? 1000 ppl also SME... 2 person also SME.. but budget very different.

NAS very ex leh.... small setup difficult to justify the cost.

Last time , I work in laundry factory during holiday.. they backup POS on a floppy disk.. ha ha ha :P

NAS not that expensive la, get a 2x2TB Raid1 NAS about SGD$400 or under.. Claim under PIC lor. =D

Then again, see how many users and how much you want to backup.. If just want to backup few hundred MB or few GB of files, use Dropbox or Box.. That's quite reliable and best of all, free... Even accidently deleted files by one user can still be restored by another...

im on the 100gb dropbox plan - never been more satisfied. gmail backend for our company as well. these days, whenever got issue, just reformat or buy new com and restore everything else. all the enterprise software stored on flash drives so we can reinstall fairly quickly. plus when staff are travelling (esp some older ones) and they c--k up something .. still can log into gmail.

but seriously .. drop box is a savior. all the staff have shared dropbox folder so dont even need to waste time with flashdrive. just throw it in.

viva la cloud!

↡ Advertisement