Brand New BMWs Have Faulty Brakes, Triggering Mass Recall

Natnut

Major recall for 2012-14 F30 BMW 3 Series with N20/N26 for dangerous loss of braking

e71723278523367.jpg

Delivery of N20 and N26 powered vehicles stopped as a result of power brake assist problem

On September 26th, BMW of North America announced to NHTSA its intention to conduct a voluntary Recall on certain 2012-2014 model year BMW 3 Series, 5 Series, X1, X3 and Z4 models equipped with the N20 or N26 engine, produced from May 2012 to August 2013.

Affected vehicles in dealer inventories will not be sold or delivered to customers until the recall repair has been performed. Vehicles at BMW vehicle delivery centers will be corrected before shipment to dealerships.

The Problem:

The oil supply from the intake camshaft to the brake vacuum pump can become restricted. If this happens the brake vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist.

The hydraulic brakes will still function to stop the vehicle but without power assist. Without assist the driver will need to apply much greater pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. The distance required to stop the vehicle will increase as most drivers will not be able to apply enough brake pedal pressure.

In the event of a loss of brake power assist pull the emergency brake and apply as much brake pedal pressure as possible. If your BMW has an electronic parking brake pull up and hold the switch to engage the brake.

Move away from traffic and park in a safe location as soon as possible. Contact BMW Roadside Assistance and have your vehicle taken to the nearest BMW dealer.

Link :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724599

↡ Advertisement

i never had any inclinations for hybrid. If I wanted instant torque and improved mileage, i would go for korean TD.

The more electronic wizardry, the higher the chance the ball gets dropped. As for bmw....whats next?

I wonder how many Singaporeans who have ordered their brand new 320i and 328i as well as the 520/528i are affected.

How many 328i/528i are rolling on Singapore roads with faulty brakes that won't stop in time?

Perhaps the Singapore BMWs are made in a different factory from US models? I heard that Singapore BMWs are made in South Africa. Hopefully the S. African factories have better QC than the German factories.

This is not a joking matter since a faulty brake doesn't only endanger the driver but it also endangers other road users and pedestrians.

Must we avoid driving near any such affected models/cars :blink:??? A bit scared now :o

Yes, to be safe, I would strongly urge drivers of all other makes and models to keep a good distance from any BMW. In fact if you see a BMW in your rear view mirror, you should scurry out of its way with alacrity, since it could be hazardous to stay in front of it. :D

Even though I drive an F20, which is not affected by this, I thank you for your general caution and giving us way - it's all in your interest, after all. [laugh]

So no need to ponder about the model. When you see this:

post-52704-1380366868.jpg

just equate it with this:

post-52704-1380367420_thumb.jpg

and move quickly out of the way. [:p]

Edited by Turboflat4

Just because you lose assistance doesn't mean no brakes lah, just exercise your leg muscles lor. Of course there are those stupiak people who go "ohmigod! my brakes failed!"

Err..i wonder 'if' any BMW here hit the rear of any cars,can they tell their insurance companies their brakes not working,tell them not to affect their NCD..?

Err..i wonder 'if' any BMW here hit the rear of any cars,can they tell their insurance companies their brakes not working,tell them not to affect their NCD..?

By right, should hor, especially when Lexus' tok kong sound insulation can absolve one of killing a cyclist.

bmw 3 i believe is made in S afr. Only the the higher end 3trees 2 doors are german. Prob is if driver is used to brake assist & used to apply light pressure, suddenly assist fails = boomz.

Yes, to be safe, I would strongly urge drivers of all other makes and models to keep a good distance from any BMW. In fact if you see a BMW in your rear view mirror, you should scurry out of its way with alacrity, since it could be hazardous to stay in front of it. :D

Even though I drive an F20, which is not affected by this, I thank you for your general caution and giving us way - it's all in your interest, after all. [laugh]

Now I finally understand how come last time mata used BMW.... No need on the siren or blinking red/blue roof lights, people will automatik give way [thumbsup]

Just because you lose assistance doesn't mean no brakes lah, just exercise your leg muscles lor. Of course there are those stupiak people who go "ohmigod! my brakes failed!"

This reminds me long long ago when my fren's left foot meshed the brake pedal to metal but the car still didnt slow down but went straight ahead at turn #9 at Sepang..... I was the passenger!!!! :blink:[dizzy][sweatdrop]

lol, these people complain literally for everything. Earlier they complained that BMWs stall, now they complain that they do not stop! Make up your mind kids! Schools holidays are over!!!

What car is the yellow logo? Conti or Jap? :huh:

lol, these people complain literally for everything. Earlier they complained that BMWs stall, now they complain that they do not stop! Make up your mind kids! Schools holidays are over!!!

LOL, suddenly i realise kids are driving bmws, and learning to complain.... :D:o

This reminds me long long ago when my fren's left foot meshed the brake pedal to metal but the car still didnt slow down but went straight ahead at turn #9 at Sepang..... I was the passenger!!!! :blink:[dizzy][sweatdrop]

At least u lived to tell the tale. :D

By right, should hor, especially when Lexus' tok kong sound insulation can absolve one of killing a cyclist.

jus like u to go after the a$$ [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement