Let's talk about NS... good memories or nightmares?

Scion

I love the SM1. whenever you feel hot, just intercom the driver to rev the engine. air will get suck into your fighting compartment. :D

as SM1 is using a floating turret, your legs can get "giap" by turret when moving the main gun. [laugh]

I sleep all the time, no chance to tell driver to rev !! [laugh]:D

↡ Advertisement

I got 6+2 in the 90s but we probably can swear as well. -_-

actually those days the language spoken was very colourful. there was no sentence that were spoken without at least 20% of irrelevant (!@#$%-type) words to top it off...

but that occasion was unique, told us on top (dunno which idiot) wanted to try out see 4-men instead of 7-men can work or not. Bloody hell, the mines, iron pickets, barbed wire, etc. all never reduce, only the manpower reduced... we just let go... even the medic who was attached (mine is sargaent vehicle) to our platoon was forced to help us carry store when we built minefield...

heard after that he returned to his unit, went to his MO to complain kanna ill-treated by us [laugh] [laugh]

My time in Wallaby damn power. Day 1 start already tank down, heng ah PC jumped tank w/o taking me + driver. So we basically eat, sleep & count kangaroo carcasses everyday.

The thing is our transmission will be stuck @ second gear after 5/10 mins. So when tech squad come and check (usually after cool down), they cannot find fault. Then 10 minutes into action we put up yellow flag again ^_^ So after a few times, my PC just told us to follow the company but stay out of sight

si bay ho mia, got aircon.

I do know the current Terrex and Leopard tanks got aircon.

wonder BX got aircon or not?

our M113 also got something.

Not aircon, it is a combination of hot air, sandstorm plus solid music (engine noise). Couple that with the violent shaking when vehicle moving over rough (even smooth also the same) terrain, and it is a guaranteed recipe to make the most insomniac person fall asleep within minutes.

The TSR said cannot sleep inside vehicle, esp. on the ramp cos dangerous. Everytime we move out, everyone fought to sleep on the ramp as it's the most comfortable [:p]

I love the SM1. whenever you feel hot, just intercom the driver to rev the engine. air will get suck into your fighting compartment. :D

as SM1 is using a floating turret, your legs can get "giap" by turret when moving the main gun. [laugh]

I remembered some of sm1 had cracks on their hull. I was attached together with STA pple to 42 SAR I thk to mend the crack.

we had to dismantle everything down to the hull and let STA guys mend the crack before assemble back. it was very siong, thk there were 10 or 15 affected vehicle.

I heard it was due to too much upgrading works and the hull couldn't take it and crack under fatigue [sweatdrop]

I also remembered there was a few case of tank overturned and commander killed. one of it was parked at our workshop. we burned incense on the turret and for weeks it had a very strong medication smell. thk it was in 95 from 41SAR

Turbocharged

I sleep all the time, no chance to tell driver to rev !! [laugh]:D

so you also gunner? On the way! target! gun cease. :D

My time in Wallaby damn power. Day 1 start already tank down, heng ah PC jumped tank w/o taking me + driver. So we basically eat, sleep & count kangaroo carcasses everyday.

The thing is our transmission will be stuck @ second gear after 5/10 mins. So when tech squad come and check (usually after cool down), they cannot find fault. Then 10 minutes into action we put up yellow flag again ^_^ So after a few times, my PC just told us to follow the company but stay out of sight

my impression of wallaby...

the camp toilet superb... the worms they put inside to remove the sai and the smell. completely odourless. RSM already stressed no smoke or will have explosion, but at the end of ex, saw from the back of the toilet, got one cubicle got black soot around it... sigh...

[nod] ahhhhh, no one mentioned the ATT..... best days during trade course. Drivers go thru hell, gunners go play arcade game in aircon + canteen breaks !! wowwee !! [thumbsup]

Got one Indian, Master DAS, woah. His arcade gunnery skills damn good sia [rifle]

Turbocharged

You got post #888

Swee la, huat liao

another memorable time is do guard duty at Live Firing Area the night before. Me and platoon mate took the Landrover out for joyride. Very short distance nia, cos kiasee [laugh]

Turbocharged

I remembered some of sm1 had cracks on their hull. I was attached together with STA pple to 42 SAR I thk to mend the crack.

we had to dismantle everything down to the hull and let STA guys mend the crack before assemble back. it was very siong, thk there were 10 or 15 affected vehicle.

I heard it was due to too much upgrading works and the hull couldn't take it and crack under fatigue [sweatdrop]

I also remembered there was a few case of tank overturned and commander killed. one of it was parked at our workshop. we burned incense on the turret and for weeks it had a very strong medication smell. thk it was in 95 from 41SAR

our SM1 are all over stretch lah. our commanders was tasked to clear some APFSDS rounds as they are going to expire.

at the range and after firing a few rounds, the latches that hold the engine cover gave way! either the rounds are too powerful or the structure of the tanks is giving way.

during my time, we are already asking our commanders how come our tank gun got no stabilizer? how to shoot on the move?

Turbocharged

another memorable time is do guard duty at Live Firing Area the night before. Me and platoon mate took the Landrover out for joyride. Very short distance nia, cos kiasee [laugh]

In my last exercise during NS, we play mahjong (tiles one) on the 3-tonner

That was possible because the officers all not staying overnight in the outfield

In my last exercise during NS, we play mahjong (tiles one) on the 3-tonner

That was possible because the officers all not staying overnight in the outfield

wah, mahjong outfield. must say PONG KONG HUU soft soft ?? [blush]

in terms of live firing, did:

M16 - 5.56 mm

M203 - 40 mm

SAW - 5.56 mm

LAW - dunno how many?

GPMG - 7.62 mm

0.5" HMG - 12.7 mm

Claymore mine

grenade

bangalore torpedo

pipe charge

comet charge

side charge

landflame mine

fougasse

AP mine

AT mine

door charge

plus a few more forgot names liao...

then used detonators, PE (plastic explosives), TNT flakes, Blk 3 and 4, detcord, safety and instantaneous fuses like nobody's biz...

didn't dare to tell my parents what i did...

didn't dare to tell my parents what i did...

wow, some dangerous toys you played sia .... Anyone in your company injured or dieded?

Turbocharged

[nod] ahhhhh, no one mentioned the ATT..... best days during trade course. Drivers go thru hell, gunners go play arcade game in aircon + canteen breaks !! wowwee !! [thumbsup]

Got one Indian, Master DAS, woah. His arcade gunnery skills damn good sia [rifle]

talk about trade course. we have about 60+ gunners but only 4 commanders and 4 tanks. while waiting for your turn to practice striping and assembly of the main gun, you can basically sleep the whole day at the vehicle shed. [laugh]

its only when they combine the drivers and gunners together that we get the most tekaning. instructors make us joint many sets of the main gun 5 pcs rods together to do dragon dance. [laugh]

in the end, we learn nuts during our trade course.

All hail! Fellow Combat Engineers!

All hail! Polar Bear B Bn, Coy Plt 5!

ADVANCE AND OVERCOME!

Halo, Buaya reporting!

Looking forward to see more of Buayas and Polar Bears here :D

wow, some dangerous toys you played sia .... Anyone in your company injured or dieded?

no lah, we all Air level one, all si bey kiasi...

but one time funny, during our demolition live firing, after preparing the charges, getting ready fire, went to hide behind bunker according to TSR. That time just posted to 46SAR, our CSM was mortar trained, think he si bey garang. everybody hid with helmet on, firer and safety+supervising officers ready liao, he is regular so ya ya just stood nearby without helmet or cover. After firer ignited safety fuse, ran back with safety+supervising hid behind cover whole platoon counting one-thousand, two-thousand.... he still casually stood outside not under cover, gave us that type of see-us-no-up look... thinking he had seen it all.

it was a side charge with 10 kg TNT buried in mountain side. Then when exploded, the hardened mud/debris/soil from the mountain side flew like rain all over the place, and our CSM dived for cover [laugh]:D[laugh]:D

Incidentally, the tragedies i came across were all not related to the explosives we had to deal with...

↡ Advertisement