That CD Shop Downsizing ?

Blackseal

Turbocharged

Last time I use to buy from this shop call Da Da record over at Funan centre.

Anyone knows if this shop is around and where are they now?

↡ Advertisement

When u change car, u dont buy new cd meh? [rolleyes]

I still have got many CDs at home... have digitalized most of it but kept some good ones that I like. Only buy CDs when the kids want

Dada is long gone. The boss retired many years ago

I used to patronise from Dada Records from their early days in the early/mid 80's before Funan Centre underwent a major revamp and renovation.

That time, it was probably the best place to go to get limited edition vinyls from selected artists, and if you needed any rare record that was hardly available in S'pore, you could get it ordered from there. They also used to bring in limited 7" vinyl singles which was good if you were looking for B-sides and rare remixes. In addition, Dada also had a very good range of turntable needles as well.

With the explosion of commercial pop in the late 80's and 90's, Dada actually expanded with their offering of both vinyl and increasing cassette tape and cd collection. Like the vinyl, you could also get rare remixes on cassette singles too. When button badges and pop star photos were the rage and many of us were putting them on our school files, Dada was the place to go to get those too. With the Funan Centre revamped, Dada began operating on the 1st floor, just a couple of doors where CBTL is now, and expanded from offering music to movies in VCDs and DVDs.

As the 90's faded, and bigger players came - e.g. Tower Records, and then later HMV, Borders, I believe Dada's star slowly faded. There were also many people who complained about the attitude of its boss. Although I acknowledge that many of the complaints and feedback were probably valid as I saw some instances of those happening myself, I'd say I was treated decently by the boss and his wife (and 2 children, who kinda grew up with the store too) as my elder sister DJ and I had been regulars from the early years.

In the late 90s and early 2000s, being pretty much overseas, I didn't really come into any contact with Dada any longer since I could get loads of good vinyl abroad anyhow. With the invasion of Napster and MP3s, I think the entire music industry took a big hit somehow since then. At the point when I kinda thought of Dada when I returned, I was told they had shut down. It was around 2008 that I had a chance encounter with Dada's boss, ironically at Funan Centre where it all began. But this time, it was different story as he was actually working as a waiter in one of the F&B outlets at Funan and serving food. I think it was quite an awkward moment when he happened to serve at my table and I think both of us recognised each other for a split second. I could tell that sadly, he look very embarrassed. And I felt sorry for him as this was a far cry from the days when he was the confident boss at the store and decked in his awesome gold bracelets and stone-encrusted Rolexes. Perhaps he had lingered on at Funan in fond memory of his glory days.

Sorry for the long post. Got a bit caught up in the nostalgia there.

Call me old fasioned, but I still prefer to have CDs and still do buy them from time to time. Its just like books. I prefer to have actual books than E-books. Its quite sad that so many CD shops have closed down or preparing to close down. [:(]

Turbocharged

I used to patronise from Dada Records from their early days in the early/mid 80's before Funan Centre underwent a major revamp and renovation.

That time, it was probably the best place to go to get limited edition vinyls from selected artists, and if you needed any rare record that was hardly available in S'pore, you could get it ordered from there. They also used to bring in limited 7" vinyl singles which was good if you were looking for B-sides and rare remixes. In addition, Dada also had a very good range of turntable needles as well.

With the explosion of commercial pop in the late 80's and 90's, Dada actually expanded with their offering of both vinyl and increasing cassette tape and cd collection. Like the vinyl, you could also get rare remixes on cassette singles too. When button badges and pop star photos were the rage and many of us were putting them on our school files, Dada was the place to go to get those too. With the Funan Centre revamped, Dada began operating on the 1st floor, just a couple of doors where CBTL is now, and expanded from offering music to movies in VCDs and DVDs.

As the 90's faded, and bigger players came - e.g. Tower Records, and then later HMV, Borders, I believe Dada's star slowly faded. There were also many people who complained about the attitude of its boss. Although I acknowledge that many of the complaints and feedback were probably valid as I saw some instances of those happening myself, I'd say I was treated decently by the boss and his wife (and 2 children, who kinda grew up with the store too) as my elder sister DJ and I had been regulars from the early years.

In the late 90s and early 2000s, being pretty much overseas, I didn't really come into any contact with Dada any longer since I could get loads of good vinyl abroad anyhow. With the invasion of Napster and MP3s, I think the entire music industry took a big hit somehow since then. At the point when I kinda thought of Dada when I returned, I was told they had shut down. It was around 2008 that I had a chance encounter with Dada's boss, ironically at Funan Centre where it all began. But this time, it was different story as he was actually working as a waiter in one of the F&B outlets at Funan and serving food. I think it was quite an awkward moment when he happened to serve at my table and I think both of us recognised each other for a split second. I could tell that sadly, he look very embarrassed. And I felt sorry for him as this was a far cry from the days when he was the confident boss at the store and decked in his awesome gold bracelets and stone-encrusted Rolexes. Perhaps he had lingered on at Funan in fond memory of his glory days.

tks for the update! I used to buy records from them back in the late 80s and early 90s. after enlisted into NS, I stop this hobby until recently I got an entry level turntable as my old one was beyond repair and I still have a good collection of records.

thats the reason why I started looking for vinyl records now and the first shop that come to my mind is DaDa but say to know they are out of biz. [:(]

And yes, I still remember how the boss look like. [:)]

no more CBTL like more than 4 years ago, the CD shop location is currently Guardian pharmacy if i am not wrong.

Edited by Jman888

no more CBTL like more than 4 years ago, the CD shop location is currently Guardian pharmacy if i am not wrong.

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry, haven't been to Funan in awhile and when I drove past recently, I thought I saw a coffee outlet there on the opposite side of the KFC (which in the old days was Taco Bell, I believe).

I think all the rentals killing local retailers. They kenna high rental, bo bian raise prices, end up consumers just F-care them and buy online liao.

tks for the update! I used to buy records from them back in the late 80s and early 90s. after enlisted into NS, I stop this hobby until recently I got an entry level turntable as my old one was beyond repair and I still have a good collection of records.

thats the reason why I started looking for vinyl records now and the first shop that come to my mind is DaDa but say to know they are out of biz. [:(]

And yes, I still remember how the boss look like. [:)]

Yeah its strange that despite all the modern technology, people still go back to the old school basics.

Personally, I still love turntables and vinyls. My sister and I have a huge collection that starts from the 70's all stored up.

Sadly, after marriage and frequent moving around, alot of my equipment's pretty much mothballed. I should consider setting them up again although my wife will probably give me a shelling given the limited space at home and the clutter that the set-up will make :P

Do you have any recommendations for good places to get vinyl, and turntable-related stuff in Singapore at the present time?

Oh dear. Was his name Patrick or Peter? Can't seem to recall now but yes, my group and I have had our fair share of "attitude" from him towards the end of his tenure.

In the end, we "migrated" to Roxy Records who is happily still operating now [cool]

Turbocharged

Yeah its strange that despite all the modern technology, people still go back to the old school basics.

Personally, I still love turntables and vinyls. My sister and I have a huge collection that starts from the 70's all stored up.

Sadly, after marriage and frequent moving around, alot of my equipment's pretty much mothballed. I should consider setting them up again although my wife will probably give me a shelling given the limited space at home and the clutter that the set-up will make :P

Do you have any recommendations for good places to get vinyl, and turntable-related stuff in Singapore at the present time?

Plaze Sing has a shop there but prize wise is nowhere close to what I used to pay at DaDa even taking inflation into account. [:(]

Adelphi should have quite a range to will meet your budget. [:)]

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry, haven't been to Funan in awhile and when I drove past recently, I thought I saw a coffee outlet there on the opposite side of the KFC (which in the old days was Taco Bell, I believe).

yah the mall is getting lesser crowd where shopper stop going there, the once so-call IT mall lose its shine since you can find these gadgets cheaper online.

Turbocharged

yah the mall is getting lesser crowd where shopper stop going there, the once so-call IT mall lose its shine since you can find these gadgets cheaper online.

that area like a little Myanmar now esp Peninsula Plaza.

Turbocharged

Old school basics give the best sound quality.

I am using vacuum tubes for my amplifiers and DAC. Much better than all the latest transistor electronics.

Vinyl on turnables are the best really for music.

Yes I also bumbed into the ex-boss of DaDa myself....He's a nice chap if u know him long enuff....So sad so many of those good old days players in the music scene just bade us all " Adios Amigos "

Turbocharged

I also bought from that outlet, they have many imported CD and limited ones, if cannot find they will indent for you. CDs are mainly for collectible and higher sound quality.

Amazon, iTune, and even Singtel AMPed can download for free if you use your phone as MP3 player.

Yeap, but I only listen from CDs. Never from MP3.

↡ Advertisement