RESPECT - Mr Ngiam Tong Dow!

Carfreakz

Hypersonic

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2669073

with all due respect to Ngiam, i have doubt on speaking up or dare to contest your boss ideas or directions

when you are

30s - you are eager to prove yourself

40s - you are at your prime seat

50s - there is so much to lose

70s - of course you dare to whack la ... what else to lose

That's what I think too. What's the point of whacking now that he is that old. Absolutely no impact whatsoever. PAP ain't going to listen to him -_-

I like the part LKY said to Mr Ngiam about the COE..."What's wrong with collecting more money?"

This "confession" should end all debates on the true reason for the COE apart from controlling car population.,

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2669073

with all due respect to Ngiam, i have doubt on speaking up or dare to contest your boss ideas or directions

when you are

30s - you are eager to prove yourself

40s - you are at your prime seat

50s - there is so much to lose

70s - of course you dare to whack la ... what else to lose

QFT.. [thumbsup]

I only read the shorter link, bookmarked the long interview to read later. But, with all due respect, I still agree with Wt_know..

"Your children and grandchildren will be the greatest joys in your life," he continued. "Whether they take care of you later in life, that's in God's hands, but the joy that they provide is irreplaceable."

This is the best motivation for the baby problem here.

I disagree with him on F1 though and not just cos I like motorsports. F1 benefits Singapore's tourism industry hugely. It's not just about the 3 days, but when u have a global tv audience of several hundred million, the spin offs are huge. U can't expect F1 or any other event to benefit every sector. Unless NTD believes the tourism sector is not important.

Anyway, i believe it can be organised by a private company. The company will still be profitable without govt input.

Frivolity? NDP comes to mind. Just by shooting fireworks and performances, doesn't mean Singaporeans will start loving their country & it's not cheap. The best NDP i went in recent years was WP rally in Serangoon stadium.

I like the part LKY said to Mr Ngiam about the COE..."What's wrong with collecting more money?"

This "confession" should end all debates on the true reason for the COE apart from controlling car population.,

COE is about collecting more money. The recent 'upgrade' for higher BHP cars is a classic example. With Volvo, Alfa, VW delivering 1.2-1.6 litre turbocharged cars, many buyers have been enjoying lower COE at more power. So for anyone stupid enough to believe the reason is to control the car population, well, isn't it obvious? Same for property and stuff. Bank loan restrictions are enough to cool the market. Stamp duty though...is just another form of commission and a big one! 3% and 7%!

While I'm not going to criticise him and also do admire him for speaking up, noticed a lot of such civil servants or govt linked people only start to speak about such things when they are retired or half retired from their positions or when at the wrong end of some unfavourable decisions from the top. Beside Ngiam, it must be noted that Tan Kin Lian was also quite pro-govt until he was removed as the CEO of NTUC income.

Edited by Damienic

That's what I think too. What's the point of whacking now that he is that old. Absolutely no impact whatsoever. PAP ain't going to listen to him -_-

nothing to respect about this guy. he has made enough to retire, then dare to whack. if he dare to whack while he is at the peak of his career, then we all have respect for him.

i'm a strong believer that different policy is necessary at different time

ngiam pointed out that put food on the table is upmost important as compare to "soft power" (aka F1). that's probably true at his time during nation building.

LKY iron fist policy during his time probably is the best. otherwise, spore will not be what it is today.

but, will the iron fist policy works now? i'm sure many will say No right.

so, does that mean iron fist policy is wrong as a whole? no, it's effective back then.

Edited by Wt_know

Hypersonic

While I'm not going to criticise him and also do admire him for speaking up, noticed a lot of such civil servants or govt linked people only start to speak about such things when they are retired or half retired from their positions or when at the wrong end of some unfavourable decisions from the top. Beside Ngiam, it must be noted that Tan Kin Lian was also quite pro-govt until he was removed as the CEO of NTUC income.

You can be sure that if ever PAP was ousted from power, the current ministers will come out and sing a different tune.

"Your children and grandchildren will be the greatest joys in your life," he continued. "Whether they take care of you later in life, that's in God's hands, but the joy that they provide is irreplaceable."

This is the best motivation for the baby problem here.

That's quite idealistic, IMHO. Talk like this is easy, but how to translate into action is tough.

How are they going to increase the birth rate and encourage young people to get married and settle down - just by repeating this theme - that children bring you joy - in campaign posters and TV ads?? Is it going to work?

The reality is quite different, as many young parents will attest to. Children bring you joy, certainly, but also a lot of hard work - the truth is a little bit of the good and bad.

You can be sure that if ever PAP was ousted from power, the current ministers will come out and sing a different tune.

you can be sure PAP will never be ousted

Hypersonic

you can be sure PAP will never be ousted

Never is too strong a word. In the near future maybe but never? I wouldn't count on that.

↡ Advertisement