South Korea: Self Drive in Jeju during Winter Season

Bluepica

Any bro here have any self drive experience in Jeju during winter season before? wonder if the road condition is harsh during Christmas period.

Planning a trip there this Dec. Have not drive on icy road before

↡ Advertisement

Any bro here have any self drive experience in Jeju during winter season before? wonder if the road condition is harsh during Christmas period.

Planning a trip there this Dec. Have not drive on icy road before

Beware of "Black Ice"...the roads may look normal...but there is a thin layer of ice on top...commonly cause accident..Better not drive.

I thought jeju will not snow?

Even no snow "Black Ice" will still form when Temperture dropped below 5c,esp in the morning..that is the reason why cars now equiped with outside Temperture gauge...

No problem as long as drive slowly...

Have drove in harbin in -29degree celsius and up mt cook area new zealand in wintry conditions with no problems

Hi guys,

Planning to go to Jeju this march. Will be staying for 3 nights. Thinking of driving. Is it advisable? Any personal experience and tips to share? Thanks!

Hi guys,

Planning to go to Jeju this march. Will be staying for 3 nights. Thinking of driving. Is it advisable? Any personal experience and tips to share? Thanks!

driving is pretty easy there. Just look out for the speed cams, whole bunch of em.

Parking is ok, I remember parking directly at the cross junction at the entrance to the underground shopping cos I couldnt find any place to park lol

Did 2 self-drive trips to Jeju.

March - end of winter, temp warmer. very little or no chance of "black ice" on the roads.

Dec - start of winter - temp cold. Higher chance "black ice"

However, during winter period, road are regularly plowed to clear the overnight snow and cars are able to drive on them. Icing on the mountain roads are common, just avoid them and take the coastal road that runs around the whole island. To be on the safe side, try to reach your destination by midnight as the temp will drop and road conditions may become bad.

Like all overseas driving trips, always follow the speed limits and drive safely. Parking is not a problem unless in the city areas.

• Praise 1

Just back from SK, and had a 3 day stay at Jeju.

Driving is quite similar to driving to small town in Malaysia...at half the speed limit.

Light traffic around the island coastal road quite easy to find parking,

Heavier at town area and limited parking space.

Just back from SK, and had a 3 day stay at Jeju.

Driving is quite similar to driving to small town in Malaysia...at half the speed limit.

Light traffic around the island coastal road quite easy to find parking,

Heavier at town area and limited parking space.

hi,

i am going there at end of this year, any tips or hints to share ?

Also which rental did u use ?

thanks

hi,

i am going there at end of this year, any tips or hints to share ?

Also which rental did u use ?

thanks

When turning at a junction drive into the wrong side of the road.

Its so natural to turn into the left side and find you are going

head on with the opposing cars. You should see the look on

the face of the driver when you are accelerating head on.

I needed to change my shorts after that.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 1

I use AJ rental.

Need to take shuttle bus from airport to the AJ, recommend to take the 0 excess.

I booked a Tucson, was given diesel, I felt much faster pickup than Sante Fe.

Tried 0-100 at some stretch where locals made a dash, otherwise must keep to GPS speed warning.

I had a minor brushed with an old Sorento rear bumper, didn't see the bumper was so long, it was totally my misjudgement, it was 8pm plus, road work on two lane merge to single lane, it was very slow speed, but I misjudged the front of the Tucson and the rear of the old Sorento, I didn't give sufficient clearance.

Waited for the rental car company rep to arrive within 20 mins.

Took few photos and left.

During the wait , the driver that I hit remained calm and friendly, he did stared very hard at me when I alighted, walk closed to me to see if I drank.

I apologise immediately upon alighting and admitted it was totally my mistake, told them I am from SG, gave my intl driving licence for him to take photo, he was the one who called the rental company.

It was my 1st oversea fender bender.

Apologised a few more times to the Sorento driver

I realised almost all S Korean are very environmentally friendly. Almost all will off the engine and never let the car idle.

I stood at roadside with him and his passenger while waiting for rental Co rep in 2 Celsius deg.

I actually let the car idle as my 3yr old was still sleeping throughout the whole incident and my wife stayed inside the idling car

They still asked,"Baby sleeping?" And understand why I didn't off the engine.

The driver even gave me freshly plucked Jeju mandarins from his car before leaving.

When I return the car the following day, they only checked the fuel, I told the rep, it was totally my fault and if any additional payment required just charge to my credit card, he reassured all covered.

For you end of year will be in middle of winter, so please see the advice of Zeagle.

• Praise 1

When turning at a junction drive into the wrong side of the road.

Its so natural to turn into the left side and find you are going

head on with the opposing cars. You should see the look on

the face of the driver when you are accelerating head on.

I needed to change my shorts after that. [thumbsup]

I don't have much issue with turning lanes, as almost all turning lanes now has lane marking during the turn.

For me it's was fatigue and over confidence when I had the minor fender bender during the traffic jam.

• Praise 1

The hardest thing about driving is Jeju

is they have very long straight roads

and you cannot speed.

• Praise 1

The hardest thing about driving is Jeju

is they have very long straight roads

and you cannot speed.

Drove in Jeju this early Jan 2017 during the winter season. It rain periodically when I'm there but driving wise it's still safe( not slippery and etc). I drove a Sonata CNG and just whack when there's no camera. Drove around 100-120km/hr during long straight road before slowing down at speed camera. Beware of the speed camera in the city especially near a school as it can go as low as 30km/hr speed limit. Otherwise, majority will be 50-70km/hr speed limit.

Just be aware if you are first time driving left hand side as I overestimated when I make my first right turn and strike kerb. Once you get used to it, it will be like normal driving in Singapore. 

Do get full comprehensive car insurance with no additional excess as you might not know what will happened and just in case anything happened, you will be fully covered. I rented from Billycar (A cheaper car rental under AJ rental) and it only cost $80+ for 3days car rental with full insurance. 

Do check the conditions of the tyres and etc every morning before you drive as I encountered 1 tyre that is deflated slightly (spotted it by chance when I retrieve something from the car in the morning) and called the insurance company to send a tow truck to come and repair the tyre. If I didn't notice, I can't imagine what will happened when I travel 100km/hr.

In any case, be alert to the traffic light as some of the traffic light in the suburban area is blinking orange(like those in Taiwan at night) which mean any of the car in the cross junction can cross. Just give way to car if they are not slowing down and be attentive (:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1