Car Accident - Reckless van driver

Lucky888

Early this morning, we were waiting in our car at a traffic light. The traffic light is left-turn only.

When the traffic light turn green, we started to move forward slowly. We noticed from our driver's side mirror that there was a van approaching dangerously close and fast from behind on our right hand side.

We brake immediately and stop completely. But the van continue moving forward dangerously close to our car and he turn left recklessly. The side of the van hit my right fender and scraped my paintwork on my bumper.

Note that at this moment, our car is already at a complete stop.

We wanted to settle privately with the van driver but the van driver seems unwilling to take any responsibility. He claim that we cut into his left-turning lane.

The van driver looks very tired and is not concentrating at all on the road. He nearly hit another car when the moved his van to the road shoulder. He seems to be working very early in the morning doing delivery and does not looks like he slept well the night before.

What should i do this this case? Should i go to my insurance and clam against him? Will i get 100% claim? Also, he is using the same insurance company as the one that i am using. Will this make the insurance company less willing to pay 100%?

Please see youtube video below. From the video, it is obviously we did not cut into his lane. Any comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7rQ4VlWRY&feature=youtu.be

Edited by RadX
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 2

Early this morning, we were waiting in our car at a traffic light. The traffic light is left-turn only.

When the traffic light turn green, we started to move forward slowly. We noticed from our driver's side mirror that there was a van approaching dangerously close and fast from behind on our right hand side.

We brake immediately and stop completely. But the van continue moving forward dangerously close to our car and he turn left recklessly. The side of the van hit my right fender and scraped my paintwork on my bumper.

We wanted to settle privately with the van driver but the van driver seems unwilling to take any responsibility. He claim that we cut into his left-turning lane.

The van driver looks very tired and is not concentrating at all on the road. He nearly hit another car when the moved his van to the road shoulder. He seems to be working very early in the morning doing delivery and does not looks like he slept well the night before.

What should i do this this case? Should i go to my insurance and clam against him? Will i get 100% claim? Also, he is using the same insurance company as the one that i am using. Will this make the insurance company less willing to pay 100%?

Please see youtube video below. From the video, it is obviously we did not cut into his lane. Any comments?

Looks like you have the advantage here. That you were in the left most turning late, and you stopped completely before the impact, is in your favour.

• Praise 1

Looks like you have the advantage here. That you were in the left most turning late, and you stopped completely before the impact, is in your favour.

How about claiming 100%?

Is it extremely certain?

How about claiming 100%?

Is it extremely certain?

If it's certain, it's certain. You cannot have varying degrees of "certain-ness".

And you're seeking assurances from the wrong channel, really.

I would never base my course of action based on advice solicited online from strangers. I would however use such information gathered in this way as a point of reference, and seek professional advice before making a decision.

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

How about claiming 100%?

Is it extremely certain?

From the video how come u make such a wide turn ah? [sweatdrop]

Are you trying to turn into 2nd lane?

According to traffic rules on left turn. 2 left turning lanes ur car suppose to go into last lane.

He has the advantage here cos if u cut into 2nd lane. That is his lane.

Again like every other million accidents depend on what story the other drive give.

No 100% confirm chop full claim one haha..

Btw what road is this ah?

If I am not wrong from the video seem like u r already positioned with the right wheel in his lane before the light turned green.

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Within my humble knowledge about this minor car accident, it is clasify as "side swept" in motor claims and most probably both vehicle Insurers will likely passing 50:50 settlement, but again if either one or both drivers disagreed with insurer decision, they may proceed to engage Motor Claim Lawyer to contest against Insurer and claim against other driver car insurance for higher compensation.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

huh? I hardly even moved?

It also looks to me that you are turning very very wide, I'd also wonder how come?

Also, although you may have stopped at the time of impact, it's very marginal - not like you had been stopped for three or four seconds before impact.

Could you have turned sharper left?

first you shouldn't have stopped, you should just keep moving and the van would slow down when you are moving.

second, i also agree your turn is quite wide.

Edited by Jman888

Turbocharged

think if you post the minute before this might clear up some doubt (as to how close you are on the line reaching that point as well)

Just let the insurance handle ba. No point thinking abt it. I just got into an accident last fri but lucky mine is straightforward, rear end case.

Gd luck!

Twincharged

Cannot be 100% cuz it seems like you turn too wide. Left lane should turn to left lane. Even though you stopped but you already moved very far out. Should be the same as side swipe. Usually 50-50.

Edited by Nzy

i think u should continue driving and turn left when u see the van coming from behind,clear it quicky, the van would have miss u...

now too bad

U or ur wife driving ah? To be frank, the driver has rather poor judgement. Keeping to ur own lane and proceed swiftly into ur lane without stopping I think the accident would haf been avoided.

The van driver could be summoned for inconsiderate driving though. Carries demerit points. Maybe u can hang him wif this