More Sgrean leaving vehicles at home in favour of public tpt

Darthrevan

stock-mrt-passengers-04.jpg

Efforts to get Singaporeans to leave their cars at home and take the train and bus appear to be paying off.

This was among the findings of a recent survey by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) that was announced on Monday.
Lawyer Jinny Tan still drives to her workplace in the Chinatown area each morning but she opts for the train when she goes out for lunch.
Ms Tan said she is open to using public transport more if one major complaint is addressed.
"For mornings, it does get a bit crowded and you have to really wait for a few trains before you get on a train."
The government has put in place measures to address these and other concerns.
The LTA's latest Household Interview Travel Survey indicates these measures might be working.
The survey found that more higher-income earners appear to be choosing buses and trains over personal vehicles.
Higher income earners refer to those who earn a salary of S$8,000 or more a month.
They contributed to a rise in the number of peak hour trips on public transport last year.
In 2008, just over half of all such journeys were made during peak hours. It rose to nearly two in three last year.
Experts believe the key to increasing these numbers is to show people how using public transportation can benefit them.
The survey also found that more people used public transport if they lived near MRT stations.
The government plans to have eight in 10 households live within a 10 minute walk of a train station by 2030.
Observers said getting commuters from their homes to public transport is straightforward with covered walkways.
The harder part is getting them from buses or trains to their workplace.
Ang Hin Kee, a member of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, explained: "I think the challenge for the LTA is how it incorporates this last mile into a revision of their Masterplan so that for any commuters, it will be very convenient to get from their place of work to their place of residence."
The survey also showed that total daily journeys on public transport increased by 13 per cent to 12.5 million last year.
↡ Advertisement

stock-mrt-passengers-04.jpg

Efforts to get Singaporeans to leave their cars at home and take the train and bus appear to be paying off.

This was among the findings of a recent survey by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) that was announced on Monday.
Lawyer Jinny Tan still drives to her workplace in the Chinatown area each morning but she opts for the train when she goes out for lunch.
Ms Tan said she is open to using public transport more if one major complaint is addressed.
"For mornings, it does get a bit crowded and you have to really wait for a few trains before you get on a train."
The government has put in place measures to address these and other concerns.
The LTA's latest Household Interview Travel Survey indicates these measures might be working.
The survey found that more higher-income earners appear to be choosing buses and trains over personal vehicles.
Higher income earners refer to those who earn a salary of S$8,000 or more a month.
They contributed to a rise in the number of peak hour trips on public transport last year.
In 2008, just over half of all such journeys were made during peak hours. It rose to nearly two in three last year.
Experts believe the key to increasing these numbers is to show people how using public transportation can benefit them.
The survey also found that more people used public transport if they lived near MRT stations.
The government plans to have eight in 10 households live within a 10 minute walk of a train station by 2030.
Observers said getting commuters from their homes to public transport is straightforward with covered walkways.
The harder part is getting them from buses or trains to their workplace.
Ang Hin Kee, a member of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, explained: "I think the challenge for the LTA is how it incorporates this last mile into a revision of their Masterplan so that for any commuters, it will be very convenient to get from their place of work to their place of residence."
The survey also showed that total daily journeys on public transport increased by 13 per cent to 12.5 million last year.

HUH [hur] 2 surveys conducted recently n both contradict each other????

WTF!!! Why is gharmen wasting tax payers money doing these stupid surveys?

The results dun gel. One say motorists prefer to keep using their cars n the other says motorists r leaving their cars at home n taking public transport.

I think as usual, all these gharmen surveys only give false readings n r a waste of pples time n money. [furious]

Twincharged

I guess the results will depend on who you ask. Those that just bought car mostly will drive even if it takes a longer time for them to reach their destination.

When I got my first car in Poly, I drove to school everyday and it took me about 1hr. I still continued driving for the next 1+ year even though I knew that by taking the train my commute will be shortened to about 30min. After a while then I realised its stupid as I was spending more but taking a longer time to reach. [sweatdrop]

I guess the results will depend on who you ask. Those that just bought car mostly will drive even if it takes a longer time for them to reach their destination.

When I got my first car in Poly, I drove to school everyday and it took me about 1hr. I still continued driving for the next 1+ year even though I knew that by taking the train my commute will be shortened to about 30min. After a while then I realised its stupid as I was spending more but taking a longer time to reach. [sweatdrop]

But the difference is you have your personal space, can control your own timing, and don't have to squeeze.

Mr. Ang Hin Kee, so the last mile is in the scenario of from place of work to place of residence, or from place of residence to place of work?

Twincharged

But the difference is you have your personal space, can control your own timing, and don't have to squeeze.

This is what I used to justify as well before. Until I realised with public transport, timing is easier to control. No need to find parking, worry about parking coupons and I can read on the trains or buses. Nowadays my car parked at home for the whole week, only drive out on sat for marketing or when its raining heavily and my kids still want to go out.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Depends on where you work too.. If I work at places like Tuas South or those far flung industrial area where only 1 public bus serve the area, and comes once every 30 mins, i'll still drive.. if it's places like city area, then public transport is the more obvious choice..

This is what I used to justify as well before. Until I realised with public transport, timing is easier to control. No need to find parking, worry about parking coupons and I can read on the trains or buses. Nowadays my car parked at home for the whole week, only drive out on sat for marketing or when its raining heavily and my kids still want to go out.

It also depends on what trips you have to make. I have to send my child to school every morning as his school is pretty far from my place, and onwards to office in town. I cannot imagine using public transport for that.. [sweatdrop]

Go to any big cities in Asia during peak hr. Personal space in subway is a luxury lah. What is to cry about?

Season parking in CBD is a luxury now. I am moving to Asia Sq next mth & season parking there is $428/mth.

Going forward, if Golden Shoe follows Mkt St, got car also no use.

Twincharged

It also depends on what trips you have to make. I have to send my child to school every morning as his school is pretty far from my place, and onwards to office in town. I cannot imagine using public transport for that.. [sweatdrop]

Like that then probably easier to drive. But near my area got childcare so I just put him there. So everyday just walk him to school and continue to work.

Drive to work but take train when goes for lunch, this also can be counted meh? Anyway, this type of survey not accurate lo, some people dont drive to work doesnt mean they are in favour of public transport, but due to the limited parking lots and no choice but to take public.

This one don't need survey. Its about practicality and common sense.

I have been doing this week in week out for 10 over years.

I drive to work. Lunch time, I walk, take bus or train.

Unless go out for a meeting which is on the other side of the island.

I guess G wants to paint a rosy picture.

Underneath it all, I still have to pay ERP gantry when using ECP to go home but drive at a speed of a snail. So whats the point.

G only know 1 thing for a short cure which is to tax everything on this island. Cant fix it, lets tax it.

Don't understand the mentality of these car owners.

The more expensive the new car prices, the more we should use and enjoy our current car right?

There is plenty of time to get used to public transport in the future when COE expires for me.. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

The more expensive the new car prices, the more we should use and enjoy our current car right?

There is plenty of time to get used to public transport in the future when COE expires for me.. [laugh]

Sometimes the car is just an alternative mode of transport ma. For me I will still buy another car once my COE expires but I'll still take public transport or cycle on most days. Car is just there so I can use it when I feel like it.

• Praise 1

Whether u utilize or not, the car will still have to be scrapped at 10 yrs. And the resale value still sucks whether u drive more or drive less.

↡ Advertisement