PM Lee dodges question:

Knoobie

http://sgtalk.org/mybb/Thread-PM-Lee-dodges-question-%E2%80%98Should-US-lawmakers-be-paid-more

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/10/09/pm-lee-dodges-journalists-embarrassing-question/

In an interview with CNN’s Patricia Wu on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit, PM Lee Hsien Loong openly criticized the United States over the government shutdown and ongoing deadlock over the debt ceiling, calling them “problems you have created for yourself in a game of chicken.”

He said Americans “are unable to get their act together”, and that Washington’s behavior sends a “negative signal which will last much longer than the shutdown”.

The US government shutdown led President Barack Obama to cancel his attendance at the APEC leaders’ summit just days before he was meant to arrive.

The summit finished yesterday (8 Oct) in Bali, Indonesia.

Aside from Taiwan, Obama is the only leader missing among the 21 economies of the APEC group [Link], which together account for half the world’s output, 45% of its trade and 3 billion of its inhabitants.

The US government is also facing an October 17 deadline to raise its debt ceiling or risk a default of its debt obligations.

CNN’s Ms Wu very quickly put PM Lee on the spot by asking him, “Singapore’s lawmakers are some of the highest paid in the world, do you think that if Washington’s lawmakers were better compensated there would not be so much dysfunction?”

PM Lee answered, or rather did not answer:

I, I, first of all I, we may have competitive salaries but we are far from being the richest lawmakers in the world.

I think we operate a clean system, an honest system, we pay people what their job is worth and what the quality of people is worth and we expect them to perform. And if they don’t, well, they have to go or (shrugs his shoulders) the electorate will vote them out.

Undeterred by PM Lee’s non-answer, Ms Wu repeated her question: “Think that’s part of the problem? That they would attract better talent in Washington if their salaries were more competitive?”

Before Ms Wu could finish her question, while she was still enunciating the words “their salaries were more competitive?”, PM Lee cut in and said with a pained look and obvious discomfort:

Well it might not just, I think you have a lot of idealistic idealistic [Ed. this is not a typo, PM Lee actually says "idealistic" twice in succession] people, people who want to do good, who would be prepared to come forward. Of course there are many engines to coming forward and not everybody enjoys, enjoying, enjoys going through a congressional confirmation process. Er, but there are people who will come forward.

I think what is not good is because of the, because of the [Ed. PM Lee repeats the phrase, a sign of nervousness perhaps] influence of what will come next, as a revolving door leads to complicated conflicts of interest [Ed. upon repeated listening, we still have no idea what this sentence means; revolving door? what revolving door?].

And so does depending on interest groups to fund congressional campaigns. You have restrictions but now that there are many ingenious ways around them, some blessed by the Supreme Court, and er that means that money speaks. Which is a big problem in the, in the system, which many of your own people acknowledge.

Not getting a straight answer from PM Lee, Ms Wu gave up and moved on to another topic – territorial disputes in the region – allowing PM Lee to leave his discomfort zone.

Did PM Lee give a good answer to Ms Wu’s question about compensating US lawmakers better? Or did he meander and adopt a defensive posture and instead attack the American congressional system? What do you think?

Entertaining.

Edited by Knoobie
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Salary of ministers has always been a sensitive issue. The whole world thinks they are overpaid. He knows it, they know it, everybody knows it. Just that they are still in denial stage.

PM Lee should go Washington and show them how to run a gahmen.

Since he's paid 10x as much, he should be 10x as good.

i think he must train how to catch the bullet using his mouth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Ll9h7EPTA

Edited by Tianake

Does this show that Mr Lee has run out of idea to defend high salary govt? That's why he choose to shunt off the discussion.

Does this show that Mr Lee has run out of idea to defend high salary govt? That's why he choose to shunt off the discussion.

they sure got excuses and ideas to defend it la....They will throw the question to Singaporean and threaten that a government shutdown will happen here if we pay peanuts to sub standard law makers lah...and being Singaporean...many of their supporters will buy the threat...

• Praise 1

I think he was rather caught off guard thinking that the reporter wouldn't dare to ask such sensitive questions despite dodging the first time round.

Or, he didn't dare to comment much knowing that the next question in line could be, "Could you then explain the corruption issues recently raised in your country." Lagi paiseh.

Either way, what he has potrayed is that the confidence of having high salary for ministers are just that much.

they sure got excuses and ideas to defend it la....They will throw the question to Singaporean and threaten that a government shutdown will happen here if we pay peanuts to sub standard law makers lah...and being Singaporean...many of their supporters will buy the threat...

hmm.. thinking about it.. what would be affected for Singapore if the govt here shutdown?

Might not be a bad thing afterall! ERP gantry turn off? ICA no one chop free PR or SC? hohoho!

hmm.. thinking about it.. what would be affected for Singapore if the govt here shutdown?

Might not be a bad thing afterall! ERP gantry turn off? ICA no one chop free PR or SC? hohoho!

ERP is automated system...Even if LTA shutdown due to government shutdown...your money still continue to roll into their bank account....so yes...FAT HOPE..!... [laugh]

I think the question on highly paid ministers will never go away. Where ever our pm visits ppl will ask him the same question. It will be a popular "throw back" question.

ERP is automated system...Even if LTA shutdown due to government shutdown...your money still continue to roll into their bank account....so yes...FAT HOPE..!... [laugh]

:( I thought.. government shutdown = people not working = no one manage power supply = no power for ERP = ERP turned off...

damn...

in my opinion, i think pm lee said they're not the richest lawmakers in the world, is correct.....

lawmakers from the other countries may makes more....all under table, corrupt....

but in singapore, all above table...no corrupt....if found, all will be send to jail or back to their home....

Talk in parriment or to local state-controlled media is one thing.

Fielding questions from international press is quite another.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1