Alfa 159 Part VIII (Any Alfa discussion also welcomed)

Gorjiam

The alum/ Valeo clutch?

Just the clutch or with the bearing?

What's next bro?

The QV and 4C are out.

Or waiting for Giulia?

Just the stock clutch alone. currently reserved till sunday.  

The Giulia is very tempting but I can only afford if they announce smaller cc turbo engines. For now, the old A6 is good enough for me.

↡ Advertisement

Bros,

Any suggestion on what is wrong with my car?

Sometime it auto go to neutral when in drive mode. Been going on for like few months. I didn't do much since it was intermittent. On and off also have the check gear box message.

Recently totally cannot go into auto mode. Have to drive manual and it didn't even help you downshift unlike when you conciously used the manual mode. Super hard to drive as you have to gear up and down manually...

Then out of no where, it recovers again. Not sure how long it can last me until the next headache.

Any Bros know which are the failure parts and estimated cost? Thanks in advance.

2009 159 2.2

Bros,

Sometime it auto go to neutral when in drive mode. Been going on for like few months. I didn't do much since it was intermittent. On and off also have the check gear box message.

Recently totally cannot go into auto mode. Have to drive manual and it didn't even help you downshift unlike when you conciously used the manual mode. Super hard to drive as you have to gear up and down manually...

Then out of no where, it recovers again. Not sure how long it can last me until the next headache.

Any Bros know which are the failure parts and estimated cost? Thanks in advance.

2009 159 2.2

change your accumulator first. I think it will solve your problem. 

not exactly expensive.. few hundred. It is plug and play, so labour will be alright as well. 

Edited by Chrispie

Bros,

2009 159 2.2

I have this problem 2 month ago. My car still at workshop and already transfer to EA. EA Still cannot find the fault. You need go check your gearbox ASAP. FYI

I have this problem 2 month ago. My car still at workshop and already transfer to EA. EA Still cannot find the fault. You need go check your gearbox ASAP. FYI

i had that problem last time. Changing accumulator fixed it for me though.

Maybe he can go to a workshop and plug in the examiner, see what are the error codes as well.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Peter from AS said it is some substation or something failing. Cost around 3k plus just for the parts.

He advised not to change if can tahan it. Is this the same part as the accumulator mentioned? Why is the cost so big difference ah?

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Peter from AS said it is some substation or something failing. Cost around 3k plus just for the parts.

He advised not to change if can tahan it. Is this the same part as the accumulator mentioned? Why is the cost so big difference ah?

3k ??

I dont think your symptoms are those that can tahan... 

i dont know what substation. But well, like i said, i had those same issues and accumulator solved it. Accumulator is something most 159 owners will need to change at some point in time. So why not just give it a try?

Going into N is a safety concern. Once i was halfway through a right turn, with approaching oncoming vehicle and it went to N. Go figure what are the possible implications.

Edited by Chrispie

Hi guys,

Just speaking from experience and also from the regular guys who go to AS, Peter tends to quote higher, just in case there are more serious things at play that need to be replaced. If its not as much, he will definitely have a lower final fee.

And where possible, he tends ask you to wait till it really fails.

In my case, I usually ask him to change it anyways, since I'm already there, and I'd rather not have to incur time and $ for towing. I tend t agree with Chrispie, you don't want to wait for your accumulator to fail.....

That saying, when you have an Alfa, you also need to have a tow truck number in your phone... you just never know when you'll need it, but you will need it.

That saying, when you have an Alfa, you also need to have a tow truck number in your phone... you just never know when you'll need it, but you will need it.

Not so bad la,bro :)

I had an alfa for 9 years. Never did my bella left me stranded on the road. 

Just speaking from experience and also from the regular guys who go to AS, Peter tends to quote higher, just in case there are more serious things at play that need to be replaced. If its not as much, he will definitely have a lower final fee.

And where possible, he tends ask you to wait till it really fails.

In my case, I usually ask him to change it anyways, since I'm already there, and I'd rather not have to incur time and $ for towing. I tend t agree with Chrispie, you don't want to wait for your accumulator to fail.....

hi bro,

just activated tow truck last week to be honest. For a failed fuel pump. 

Car is like falling apart... sibeh sian

Hi guys,

Wow 3k is alot bro. You need to find other WS. If you want i can introduce to you. Cheers!

Wow 3k is alot bro. You need to find other WS. If you want i can introduce to you. Cheers!

3k is not a lot. the whole 159 gear system can set u back by around 6-7k. it consists of the actuators, pump. accumulator is the cheapest part. The car is not falling apart. it's just wear and tear as part of age. 

even my 6 yr GT had to change parts recently. also cost me few k here and there. i don't think any workshop can do it much cheaper cos the parts already cost this much. the labor is not the pricy thing here.

one way u can save money is to order the part yourself. U can get parts from buycarparts.co.uk or various alfa sites, even ebay. The only thing is Peter has no obligation towards u should the part fail soon after installing.

The 159 parts bin is better than my car. so if the part is available, just get it fixed. 

EA will be the most expensive option by a mile. 

Edited by Felipe

hi bro,

Fuel pump fail is normal

hi bro,

Agree saabretooth.....activating tow truck sux! Esp if need to use flatbed or fix up with extra back wheels to tow....easily >$120 for each tow.

Failed Fuel pump ....I also got the same fate. Kena last month = $780 replacement + tow of $120

Actually what Chrispie suggest is good, start with simple fix/cheap first > accumulators and see how

BTW ......for those who suffer failed fuel pump....do you all continue to drive when CFL/yellow lights turns on? 

BTW ......for those who suffer failed fuel pump....do you all continue to drive when CFL/yellow lights turns on?

Just drive .... With the hood down. Problem solved.

Just drive .... With the hood down. Problem solved.

I didn't get this option just refuse to start one day suddenly.

Bad luck really come in waves

My aircon vent all haywire, when blow front arrow the right and middle vents will blow towards leg well or the windscreen. Even if I press up arrow or down then air start to blow front. I read some forum due to the flaps losing orientation hence all wrong combo.

They recommend to take out battery and then reconnect and let car reset for like 15 mins . I done that by disconnecting the negative terminal and true enough my aircon now vent in all the correct positions .

Went to tabao dinner wonder why gantry didn't open, end up realized my IU like no power. Now sure if I killed it during my disconnection of the negative terminal or some fuse blow. Sian man. Never ending trouble. Sometime it's not the money but the time :(

↡ Advertisement