Radiator hose sipping at joint

Hlkh

Thanks for sharing.

So your friend came back KL already? The "seal" he DIY managed to hold ?

Yup can hold till the trip return....

No worry, in factory we do the same to hold steam leak at joint using teflon tape. Temperature some more at 120degC.

So it is peanut when applying at radiator hose which is less than 100degC.

But remember he who try at own risk lor..

Probably due to using tap water.

The housing made of aluminum. Dont think so the tap water kill it as Singapore tap water quite neutral.

For me I suspected the coolant. . May be those cha pa lang brand one, that the composition is attacking the aluminum part.

Who know?

key issue here should be can the patches/ tape help to hold the pressure?

and the coolant system actually make use of pressure to increase boiling point.

Correct system pressure is required for proper water pump seal lubrication. Increasing the cooling system pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. Each one pound of increased pressure raises the boiling point by 3˚F

http://asc-ind.com/cooling-system-information/how-a-cooling-system-works/

my advice if the system have a leak, get it fixed asap b4 driving.

if the head gasket is damaged,, then good luck ....

Edited by Mingsect
  • Praise 1

The housing made of aluminum. Dont think so the tap water kill it as Singapore tap water quite neutral.

For me I suspected the coolant. . May be those cha pa lang brand one, that the composition is attacking the aluminum part.

Who know?

Tap water leaves behind minerals.

If the aluminium is pitting due to corrosion, then it's the coolant turning acidic.

The radiator becomes a small battery and starts eating up the metal.

Supercharged

Tap water leaves behind minerals.

If the aluminium is pitting due to corrosion, then it's the coolant turning acidic.

The radiator becomes a small battery and starts eating up the metal.

So tap water is not advisable. Then how about distilled water ? Some people also use battery water...?

So tap water is not advisable. Then how about distilled water ? Some people also use battery water...?

Distilled water is ok. Basically, you would want deionized water in a cooling system.

With no free ions, no current flow, no corrosion.

Coolant or ethylene glycol starts as alkaline. As it degrades due to contaminants, carbon, etc..it starts to turn acidic.

That's why you must replace your coolant every couple of years.

Some coolant claim to be long lasting, effective up to 5 yrs, but in the end it still degrades.

Battery water is the opposite, it's probably ionised.

You want ionised water in a battery, bcuz you want current flow, but you don't want this in a radiator.

Some people use a voltmeter to test coolant. You dipped one tip in the coolant and another touch the radiator body.

If you see more than 0.5V, you got a small battery and that's going to corrode the cooling system.

Tap water leaves mineral salts behind. Unfortunately, most workshops use tap water bcuz it is cheap and convenient.

To see how much, salt, you can spray tap water on a hot throttle body.

As the water boils away, you would see fine salt left behind.

Edited by Kb27

Distilled water is ok. Basically, you would want deionized water in a cooling system.

With no free ions, no current flow, no corrosion.

Coolant or ethylene glycol starts as alkaline. As it degrades due to contaminants, carbon, etc..it starts to turn acidic.

That's why you must replace your coolant every couple of years.

Some coolant claim to be long lasting, effective up to 5 yrs, but in the end it still degrades.

Battery water is the opposite, it's probably ionised.

You want ionised water in a battery, bcuz you want current flow, but you don't want this in a radiator.

Some people use a voltmeter to test coolant. You dipped one tip in the coolant and another touch the radiator body.

If you see more than 0.5V, you got a small battery and that's going to corrode the cooling system.

Tap water leaves mineral salts behind. Unfortunately, most workshops use tap water bcuz it is cheap and convenient.

To see how much, salt, you can spray tap water on a hot throttle body.

As the water boils away, you would see fine salt left behind.

battery water is distilled water.... radiator water must always use distilled water, just buy 5 litres bottle from giant. Actually if you fill your radiator water with distilled water there is not a need for coolant mix. Just change it once a year.

Edited by Ivanpaseo

Supercharged

battery water is distilled water.... radiator water must always use distilled water, just buy 5 litres bottle from giant. Actually if you fill your radiator water with distilled water there is not a need for coolant mix. Just change it once a year.

I use the distilled water from Watson instead. OK right ??

DSC00177.JPG

key issue here should be can the patches/ tape help to hold the pressure?

and the coolant system actually make use of pressure to increase boiling point.

Correct system pressure is required for proper water pump seal lubrication. Increasing the cooling system pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. Each one pound of increased pressure raises the boiling point by 3˚F

http://asc-ind.com/cooling-system-information/how-a-cooling-system-works/

my advice if the system have a leak, get it fixed asap b4 driving.

if the head gasket is damaged,, then good luck ....

ya ya.. correct.. thats y he went to repair after he return from KL liao....

Coolant is EG, it prevents corrosion.

Cavitation and pitting is common when the water pump is spinning against the water.

Just like ships have problems with propellers and need maintenance.

When I change new coolant, I use distilled water. No minerals(salt) so less problem with corrosion.

Battery water very expensive lah. Distilled or de-ionised water cheaper. [thumbsup]

Coolant is necessary cos it contains additives to lube the pump n has anti-corrosion additives. Also assists in heat transfer.

just follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Different cars use different type of coolant n do NOT mix different trypes of coolant.

If wan to change type of coolant u MUST flush the whole cooling system of the old water n coolant first.

My Optra uses Dexcool long life coolant. A few yrs back I changed to OWS long life coolant after doing a full flush(incl heater coils).

When I bought my 6-year old Sylphy a year ago, the reserve tank had to be topped up every two weeks (reached minimum level mark). Coolant stains were seen across the top of the radiator. This went on for about one and a half months and the tank needed less topping up. That was when I didn't feel up to the maximum level mark but about a cm below it. Nowadays, topping up is minimum. However, coolant still spilled at the hose joint to the neck of radiator top-up . See attached photo.

Is the hose considered worn and requires replacement?

Is there supposed to have a hose clip to secure?

Or, can I put in a hose clip to prevent the spill?

Thanks for your advice and opinion.

post-134478-0-40900900-1409937638_thumb.jpg

When I bought my 6-year old Sylphy a year ago, the reserve tank had to be topped up every two weeks (reached minimum level mark). Coolant stains were seen across the top of the radiator. This went on for about one and a half months and the tank needed less topping up. That was when I didn't feel up to the maximum level mark but about a cm below it. Nowadays, topping up is minimum. However, coolant still spilled at the hose joint to the neck of radiator top-up . See attached photo.

This maybe the hose or the cap is worn. If the previous owner has not replace them before, you may like to replace them and they can last u till 10 yrs. Hose + cap + labor = less than $100.

From your pic I would try replacing the radiator cap and monitor how it goes. A new cap costs a few bucks at any spare parts shop, best to bring along your old one as a sample. Clean the surrounding area to remove the water marks and see if it solves the problem.

Can also try to add a cable tie on the small rubber hose connection to make sure it's water tight

Edited by Heelntoe
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Maybe you can check with other Sylphy owners about this. That is, pop open another Sylphy's bonnet and see if there's hose clip at that spot....

I don't think a hose clip is needed or ever present there.

The spillage could be due to the rubber seal of the radiator cap leaking.

Change the radiator cap would be better.

It doesn't cost much at stockist.

↡ Advertisement