Terrible SMRT Taxi Driver - SHB 5968 U

Alechi

What is wrong with taxi drivers nowadays? Terrible, terrible, terrible ! [furious]

So fed-up I sent the following complaint to SMRT. Wait till I get my in-car video camera and next time when such incidents happen again, I will send the video recordings straight to the Traffic Police.

[furious]

==========================================

To: SMRT
I am writing to lodge a complaint against SMRT taxi driver of SHB 5968 U.
On 13 Oct 2013, at approximately, 6:16pm, I was Bukit Batok West Ave 3 traffic junction (Lane 2), waiting to turn right into Bukit Batok Road. I was the first vehicle. On my right (Lane 1) was SMRT taxi SHB 5968 U, also the first vehicle. When the traffic light turned green in our favour, both our vehicles proceeded to turn right. However, the SMRT taxi SHB 5968 U, instead of turning from lane 1 into the corresponding lane 1, dangerously turned into my turning lane (lane 2) instead, almost causing a near accident terrible accident. I had to immediately jam-brake and blare my horn to register the danger.
The SMRT taxi driver (SHB 5968 U) was unhappy with being horned at and tailed me to the next traffic light. He stopped next to my car (it was red light), wound down his window, and I wound down my front passenger window (where my wife was seated - behind were my young children). He made some hand gestures and I told him he should turn properly from lane 1 into the corresponding lane 1. He then made some smuck facial expressions that he saw nothing wrong with his driving, before flashing his middle-finger at both my wife and myself. He then sped off. We travelled along the same direction and over at Brickland Road traffic light junction, when it was red light, i managed to take a photo of the SMRT taxi concerned (SHB 5968 U).
I am registering my complaint specifically on the following:
1) Dangerous and inconsiderate driving by SMRT taxi driver of SHB 5968 U - turning from a lane 1 turning lane into a lane 2 turning lane and almost resulting in an accident.
2) Rude and unbecoming behavior with the flashing of his middle-finger at my wife and myself
I encourage SMRT to review the in-cab video camera of SMRT taxi SHB 5968U and its black-box, if any (I understand Comfort delgro cab installs such devices). It will show very clearly how your SMRT driver drove so dangerously and inconsiderately. I saw that there were passengers in the taxi as well. I encourage SMRT to try and contact them and i am sure, they can verify how your SMRT taxi driver of SHB 5968U had flashed his middle-finger, unprovoked. The relevant illustration and photo is attached for reference.
I am extremely appalled and troubles over this callous and dangerous SMRT taxi driver of SHB 5968U. He had not only shown his lack of understanding of prevailing driving rules, but also displayed an unbecoming behavior that speaks so negatively of SMRT, an established Singapore public transport and service provider.
I would like SMRT to investigate this matter and I do sincerely demand an explanation as well as SMRT's follow-up actions taken against this terrible driver of SMRT SHB 5968U. I look forward to SMRT's prompt update.
Thank you.

For all forummers information, I posted full-plate number as I read the forum guidelines and noted that the previous ban on posting full-plate numbers have been lifted.

FYI, i posted full-plate numbers as I read and confirmed from forum guidelines that this previous ban on full-plate numbers have been deleted.

post-31097-0-07162700-1381668980.jpg

post-31097-0-18019700-1381668995_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

See this poll I made 3 months ago:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2689750-2-lanes-turn-right-to-3-lanes-which-lane-to-go

Not everyone knows and remembers that when turning from 2 to 3 lanes road, lane 1 needs to turn to lane 1. That's why it's better to drive defensively by keeping left when you are in lane 2, especially with wife and kids in the car. There's no excuse however, to give the finger when in the wrong and almost caused an accident.

Do get a camera because in an accident, if there are no witnesses, it's your word against his.

• Praise 1

hope you get a reply from SMRT, and update us here.

Yups, definitely will update here.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2689750-2-lanes-turn-right-to-3-lanes-which-lane-to-go

Not everyone knows and remembers that when turning from 2 to 3 lanes road, lane 1 needs to turn to lane 1. That's why it's better to drive defensively by keeping left when you are in lane 2, especially with wife and kids in the car. There's no excuse however, to give the finger when in the wrong and almost caused an accident.

Do get a camera because in an accident, if there are no witnesses, it's your word against his.

Yah, this has strengthened my resolve to get an in-car video camera. This incident no in-car camera, so bo bian, can only complain to SMRT. Otherwise, I will shoot straight to TP with video.

I took a Comfortdelgro cab recently and the driver shared with me that all comfort cabs now have in-built video cameras as well as a "black-box" supposedly to record in-car conversation. I was impressed. When the Comfort cab travelled just above the speed limit, an audio voice came out to remind him he is over speed limit. Super impressed. I hope SMRT cabs have at least something similar installed. Otherwise like you said, it's my words against the driver's. Sigh ... but damn furious !

• Praise 2

LOL i doubt there is camera more to say blackbox. I think it would best if you had a camera yourself. It would be hard as there is no concrete proof of the event. If the taxi driver refuse to admit there is nothing you can do.

Yups, definitely will update here.

Yah, this has strengthened my resolve to get an in-car video camera. This incident no in-car camera, so bo bian, can only complain to SMRT. Otherwise, I will shoot straight to TP with video.

I took a Comfortdelgro cab recently and the driver shared with me that all comfort cabs now have in-built video cameras as well as a "black-box" supposedly to record in-car conversation. I was impressed. When the Comfort cab travelled just above the speed limit, an audio voice came out to remind him he is over speed limit. Super impressed. I hope SMRT cabs have at least something similar installed. Otherwise like you said, it's my words against the driver's. Sigh ... but damn furious !

After getting a car cam, I no longer rage against errant drivers on the roads. Instead I just post it up on my blog (see sig), it's a safer way to get back at them. Those more serious ones I will send them to TP. My aim is to ultimately let ppl know that there are a lot of cars with cameras out there so don't do idiotic things on the roads to endanger others. Feel free to add to my collection in future.

• Praise 2

SMRT cabs are one of the worst drivers on our road.These taxi drivers only complains about being bullied but more often than not,they are the culprits themselves that provoke and bullies!

SMRT cabs are one of the worst drivers on our road.These taxi drivers only complains about being bullied but more often than not,they are the culprits themselves that provoke and bullies!

Sorry, the worst taxi drivers are not from SMRT.

The honour goes to Transcab drivers. Worst of the worst! [furious]

• Praise 4
  • Dislike 1

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have contacted the driver and the driver has been counselled by our officer.

Your faithfully

XXXXXXX

SMART

You would probably gets a "standard" reply from the SMART.

Life goes on.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

oh gosh ! I encountered the same thing just last night ... however I was on lane 2 and the other fella was on lane 3 (we were turning right into a 3 lane road at tanglin)

he didn't make a wide turn, thus cutting into my lane... I honked him as he was getting dangerously close and he did cut into my lane by a little...

what im irritated about is him driving past me and waving his hand in the air, sort of saying "do u know how to drive?"

damn ... like u said bro... why cant people learn to keep to their respective lanes.

With all the crappy drivers in Singapore, you haven't embraced technology and gotten yourself an in-car camera?

That should be the first accessory you buy!

Personally for me, I have had a "side-by-side" accident which, in previous years when in-car cameras were not available, would have been a 50-50 case, but since everything was captured clearly in the video, it was settled in less than a month with a 100% settlement for me! The other driver was an uncle in his 60s who knows the how's and what-nots "back in the day" - and tried to convince me he was in the right (by moving his car in such a way to appear ambiguous after the accident) - I just said, I have a car camera, he didn't seem to know the implications of that - so we said our goodbyes (didn't even exchange any details, don't even know his name, nor do I care).

Anyway, that one incident, plus a few where I have forwarded the video to the TP is vindication for my in-car camera.

Nowadays, you can get HD quality ones for front and rear, plus installation for less than $500 - that's not even worth deliberating over - just get it....NOW!

damn ... like u said bro... why cant people learn to keep to their respective lanes.

Asians can't drive.

I also have an encounter with a SMRT Taxi driver last week, got everything on video. That idiot cannot make up his mind on which lane to go and want to cut into my lane when i am approaching and was horned, he not happy tailgate me and overtake me very closely after that. When i stop behind him at the next traffic light and horn him to stop by the road side, his tail drop and sped away as thou no tomorrow... what a puss...

will the taxi company bother? i dont think so as there are tons of these complaints anyway.

Their main concern is whether taxi lao pay their rental promptly.

btw, NVNT.....

lately I see lots of these taxi drivers driving news cars like Chevrolet and Renault act like they own the roads.

Yep, Transcab have both the Chevy Epica an Renault Latitude.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Taxi drivers are indeed the most horrible lot, most of the time. I had felt this way many years ago, and maintain it now. It also doesn't help that most of the taxis nowadays are very powerful and the drivers would feel that they can get away with reckless driving.

Three months ago i had a bad experience with a Citycab, and sent in a complaint. Here's the reply from them. I'm not sure if they were serious in what they said in the reply, though.

Dear Mr _ _ _

REPORT LODGED AGAINST DRIVER OF TAXI NO. SHC737xx

I refer to your complaint lodged on 10 July 2013 regarding the driver of the above-mentioned taxi.

We are deeply sorry about the unpleasant incident that you have had with our taxi driver.

Our drivers are expected to practice safe driving at all times when plying the roads. We will not hesitate to take stern actions against errant drivers with proven lapses including poor driving behaviours that compromise the safety of other road users.

We have looked into the matter. The driver should not have driven in the manner as alleged. For his poor road behaviour and attitude, we have given him a warning and firmly reminded him to adhere to safety standards set out not just by the Company but by the Traffic Police as well. Your complaint has been filed in his service record and we will monitor his performance closely.

We will continue to explore ways to increase safety awareness amongst our taxi drivers and step up enforcement measures to weed out errant drivers with undesirable behaviours.

Once again, please accept our deepest apologies over what had happened.

Yours sincerely
Christine Chia
Customer Service Officer
Customer Service Centre
ComfortDelGro - Taxi Business
CS Hotline: 6552 4525

↡ Advertisement