if car hit person sitting at kerb, is it the driver's fault?

Ahgong

Recently encountered this scenario at a shopping center.

There is a loading and unloading area nearest to the supermarket at the entrance linking the supermarket and the carpark.

Beside this entrance, as well, there are about 4 lots for shoppers to park.

The way the entrance and the lots are position, one has to do a 3 point turn to get out of the loading area most of the time.

during this 3 point turn, your car may be facing the lots, or you could be reversing into the direction of the lot, depending on whether you are doing a clockwise or counter-clockwise 3 point turn.

I was loading my shopping into the car at the loading area. To get out, i had to do a counter-clockwise 3 point turn, such that the rear of my car will face the parking lots before i can exist the loading area.

the lot which my car will be "reversing" towards became free.

These two woman walked by, decided they want their family car to be parked there as it is nearer the shopping entrance.

so the driver when to get his car, while the two woman stand within the lot to "reserve" the lot.

I am fine by that. in fact, i do not really care as i do not need that lot anyway.

Then the younger woman decided to sit on the kerb while waiting for the car to arrive.

I then return the trolley and tried to turn out of the loading area. Because she is sitting on the kerb, i could not see her in any of my mirrors and was afraid to reverse too much, making my 3 point turn into a multi-point turn.

Frustrated, i got out of the car and confronted the woman :" Do you know it is dangerous to sit on the kerb in a high traffic area? what happens if i knocked into you cos i cannot see you?"

She retorted:" you got pass your license or not?"

boy was i peeved. a few angry words were exchanged, and they hurling insults my way wasn't helping. I drove of, angry at the whole situation, and amazed at the stupidity of these two women.

Long story short, what would you have done in a similar situation?

would it be your fault if you accidently droved into them because you cannot see them, when they delibrately sit on the kerb knowing that you are gonna be reversing into the direction where they are sitting?

↡ Advertisement

1. You hit them, your fault. Whether you could "see them in your mirrors" or not, is your responsibility to avoid them

2. Sitting on the kerb - it shouldn't make that much difference right? At most from 3 point to 5 point turn...what's the big deal? (if it made you do more than a 5 point turn, I'd agree with the ladies, get your licence from cornflakes box)

3. I'd suspect that you were a bit pissed when you confronted them, and whether intentional or not your tone caused a "less than nice" response.

1. You hit them, your fault. Whether you could "see them in your mirrors" or not, is your responsibility to avoid them

2. Sitting on the kerb - it shouldn't make that much difference right? At most from 3 point to 5 point turn...what's the big deal? (if it made you do more than a 5 point turn, I'd agree with the ladies, get your licence from cornflakes box)

3. I'd suspect that you were a bit pissed when you confronted them, and whether intentional or not your tone caused a "less than nice" response.

• Praise 1

maybe if you said it politely, the scenario would be different?

u hostile, she oso hostile. (assuming u were coz u said u were frustrated. thus, i assumed u spoke to her impatiently)

but she obviously either do not realize the danger of sitting on the kerb or too nonchalant about it because "the drivers dare, they knock onto me lo" attitude.

• Praise 1

While it will be your fault for hitting the lady who is sitting on the kerb, I find it plain suicidal for her to be doing that.

I find surprised by her actions too. I would have simply got up and gave way.

maybe if you said it politely, the scenario would be different?

u hostile, she oso hostile. (assuming u were coz u said u were frustrated. thus, i assumed u spoke to her impatiently)

but she obviously either do not realize the danger of sitting on the kerb or too nonchalant about it because "the drivers dare, they knock onto me lo" attitude.

I like horse style. :wub::wub:

hmm... i replied earlier, but the posts that i replied to, together with my responses disappeared.

i wonder what happened?

yes it will be drivers fault

proper lookout means all different objects even if they are small sized and lower than your car. Example a small child.

and as a driver, in general i will not reverse until my car is almost touching the curb

yes it will be drivers fault

proper lookout means all different objects even if they are small sized and lower than your car. Example a small child.

and as a driver, in general i will not reverse until my car is almost touching the curb

the problem i have is, i cannot even see her to make that judgement to go nearer the kerb to reduce the forward, turn, reverse, turn, forward, turn... etc to complete the turn.

there is no need to reverse till the car is almost touching the kerb. but if you cannot see her, it makes it difficult to judge how much you can reverse.

kong tio liow tio si salah.

that is where the frustration stems from.

the problem i have is, i cannot even see her to make that judgement to go nearer the kerb to reduce the forward, turn, reverse, turn, forward, turn... etc to complete the turn.

there is no need to reverse till the car is almost touching the kerb. but if you cannot see her, it makes it difficult to judge how much you can reverse.

kong tio liow tio si salah.

that is where the frustration stems from.

when you reverse, she won't be so stupid to sit there let you knock her right? moreover she can tahan the smoke meh? you just slowly slowly reverse, until she cannot breath, she will go away :D

when you reverse, she won't be so stupid to sit there let you knock her right? moreover she can tahan the smoke meh? you just slowly slowly reverse, until she cannot breath, she will go away :D

you'll be surprise.. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

reverse and zua ur engine.... let them smell exhos

why liao yew liddat?

not worth it lah.

you be surprised!

there are all sorts of characters in this world.

if she chose to sit on the floor in a high traffic area, what makes you think she will move?