All new Altis 2014

Deckbuild

no. I stop at china cars. that one no different from riding motorcycle.

I drive an '08 altis. So don't be mistakened that MIJ owners see MIK cars no up.

Lol, 08 altis consider MIT 'japan' car lo. But MIK cars now very good and nice.

↡ Advertisement

whatever u say lah. MIT jiu make in MIT lor. [grin]

20 years down the road, we'll all be driving in MIT or MIV or MIC cars anyway.

• Praise 1

Engine from Japan.....the rest of the parts and assembly Thailand....I would say it is a Japanese brand car, not MIJ.

Haaaiiiizzzz......nowadays many MIT models....no real Japanese made feel and reliability.

• Praise 1

Engine from Japan.....the rest of the parts and assembly Thailand....I would say it is a Japanese brand car, not MIJ.

Haaaiiiizzzz......nowadays many MIT models....no real Japanese made feel and reliability.

lol keep thinking like that lah. go hide in your well [lipsrsealed]

Reliability is there lah, but not the built quality

This is definitely much better than current altis. I like toyota for its reliability n low maintenance cost.

• Praise 2

Toyota is very good at targeting the needs of the individual market, that's why they came up with Altis and Axio versions of the Corolla.

Here, you can see the American spec Corolla, which is the same shape as the Altis:

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2014-corolla/

In America, where size matters, this version of the Corolla would give it more presence on the road.

In Japan, compactness matters. While I'm not sure about the tax structure for sedan cars, they do make an effort to make the car as compact as possible. That's why they have the smaller Axio. This fits into the Japanese philosophy of not consuming more than one needs, which I like as well.

In Taiwan and Southeast Asian markets (Singapore included), a car is more than just a form of transport. Buyers want more chrome, more wood and more metal. That's why it's based on the American spec Corolla and given an Altis suffix. Personally I can't appreciate the plasticky wood grain, you can't even buy an Altis that doesn't come with it. But it does sell, and the market is the one that matters.

At the end of the day, must remember: the Japanese always keep the best stuff for themselves! Even if the Axio shape may not appeal to all (it doesn't appeal to me at least), it comes with a better "heart". Notice how when PI Wish already moved on to Valvematic, BM Wish was still using Dual VVTi, even if it's the same shape. Getting the authorised dealer version somehow means you'll always be one generation behind. I don't want to be a Thaiyota basher here, but understanding the mentality of the Japanese does matter.

• Praise 5

whatever u say lah. MIT jiu make in MIT lor. [grin]

20 years down the road, we'll all be driving in MIT or MIV or MIC cars anyway.

Agreed la, nowadays not only toyota, many other jap make now also MIT. Like nissan. Made where also ok lo, if the reliablity is still there.

• Praise 1

Agreed la, nowadays not only toyota, many other jap make now also MIT. Like nissan. Made where also ok lo, if the reliablity is still there.

I think the brand of the company in maintaining QC is more important.

My dad had MIJ cars before and MIT honda before. Frankly speaking, reliability and wear & tear all the same. All driven to 7-10 yrs duration.

MIK cars will stay MIK for a while. Probably because more of the strength of the worker's unions in Korea. But eventually just like how Kia & Hyundai has european plants. Also will move to lower cost country.

Cos the difficult parts are mostly automated. At most just make the engine in Korea then ship to lower cost country to assemble.

Toyota is very good at targeting the needs of the individual market, that's why they came up with Altis and Axio versions of the Corolla.

Here, you can see the American spec Corolla, which is the same shape as the Altis:

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2014-corolla/

In America, where size matters, this version of the Corolla would give it more presence on the road.

In Japan, compactness matters. While I'm not sure about the tax structure for sedan cars, they do make an effort to make the car as compact as possible. That's why they have the smaller Axio. This fits into the Japanese philosophy of not consuming more than one needs, which I like as well.

In Taiwan and Southeast Asian markets (Singapore included), a car is more than just a form of transport. Buyers want more chrome, more wood and more metal. That's why it's based on the American spec Corolla and given an Altis suffix. Personally I can't appreciate the plasticky wood grain, you can't even buy an Altis that doesn't come with it. But it does sell, and the market is the one that matters.

At the end of the day, must remember: the Japanese always keep the best stuff for themselves! Even if the Axio shape may not appeal to all (it doesn't appeal to me at least), it comes with a better "heart". Notice how when PI Wish already moved on to Valvematic, BM Wish was still using Dual VVTi, even if it's the same shape. Getting the authorised dealer version somehow means you'll always be one generation behind. I don't want to be a Thaiyota basher here, but understanding the mentality of the Japanese does matter.

japanese are very inward looking. That's why the koreans have overtook them liao. I think it's due to their ageing society and partly their culture. Older = more conservative. All remain status quo.

I would say at least this altis outlook looks a bit modern. From late 2000 to 2011-2012, really the japanese car designs are like regressive more than anything [sweatdrop]

japanese are very inward looking. That's why the koreans have overtook them liao. I think it's due to their ageing society and partly their culture. Older = more conservative. All remain status quo.

I would say at least this altis outlook looks a bit modern. From late 2000 to 2011-2012, really the japanese car designs are like regressive more than anything [sweatdrop]

I talked to a japanese before, he said the reason why korean cars now have become so much nicer in design and better quality, cause the koreans employed japanese as designer and engineer?! This is the reason why the korean cars now are catching up with the japanese cars. Dont know how true?!

I talked to a japanese before, he said the reason why korean cars now have become so much nicer in design and better quality, cause the koreans employed japanese as designer and engineer?! This is the reason why the korean cars now are catching up with the japanese cars. Dont know how true?!

Anyway, Korean Car of the Year = Toyota !

Hahahaha, so the Japanese car makers employed Koreans designers and engineers? [laugh]

• Praise 2

remind me of the old honda city

Those Jap cars assembled in Indonesia and Thailand are designed in "such a way" is due to many reasons. One of them is, to simplify the assembly process and ease the QC. Those designs with higher degree of finesse usually require higher level of skills and experience at the ground floor even though it's just an assembly process.

Of course, as the locals gained the experiences and picked up the skills, slowly better designed and equipped cars will follow as evidenced by the higher end models churned out from these factories.

Same thing happened to motorcycles. Last time, Honda Cub Kias were assembled in Thailand. Now, they have moved slightly up the value chain. They now churned out scramblers like Honda CRF250 with fuel injection. Taking over their place for assembly of Cub Kias is Indonesia now.

Those Jap cars assembled in Indonesia and Thailand are designed in "such a way" is due to many reasons. One of them is, to simplify the assembly process and ease the QC. Those designs with higher degree of finesse usually require higher level of skills and experience at the ground floor even though it's just an assembly process.

Of course, as the locals gained the experiences and picked up the skills, slowly better designed and equipped cars will follow as evidenced by the higher end models churned out from these factories.

Same thing happened to motorcycles. Last time, Honda Cub Kias were assembled in Thailand. Now, they have moved slightly up the value chain. They now churned out scramblers like Honda CRF250 with fuel injection. Taking over their place for assembly of Cub Kias is Indonesia now.

Kind of agree with you but it is obviously not for the case of this Toyota Axio as it is parallel imported from japan, it is a pure MIJ car...

Edited by Xers007
  • Praise 1

Having ridden in quite a few Thai local Altis, I do feel the stocks in Singapore are less premium than those found in Thailand. I suspect the build quality is different. Even the leather and dashboard in Thai cars compared to those found in Singapore have a different feel.

• Praise 2

Chief design from Kia is from Audi.

Hyundai also have a design studio in Germany. Car like i40 are design in Germany and mainly for Europe market.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Any idea if the new Altis is on Singapore's road yet?

I have friend who saw it on the road. Called up BM, they said it's not in yet.

Parallel Import?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2