Do I need to change tire ?

Bluepica

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

its shit tires and or suspension. Got thread doesn’t mean got grip. 

15 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

Noted you and your wife have both experienced it multiple times, but has your FIL experienced it himself? Is the car in Msia? i noticed this Rotalla brand getting popular there. 

suggestions:

1) chk tyre age. Tyre mileage low but could it be old due to low use during covid?

2) chk tyre pressure

3) if tyre age n pressure ok, chk alignment n suspension (inld bushings) for wear. FD is a car which usually has good mechanical grip 

4) change new set of 4 better tyres. Also seriously consider going to a different tyre shop.

Thanks for the advices! If you don't mind entertaining me further, could you elaborate on how sub-optimal or worn alignment and suspension could lead to rear traction loss?

The car is in Sg but driven frequently in msia as my FIL has a biz there. I don't think he has experienced it himself, neither has my SIL who also drives the car regularly.

Tyre pressure is likely to be underinflated as I'm aware it is not checked regularly. I would think that underinflated tyre actually has more traction, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

↡ Advertisement

Change 4 tourandors for him. Then if he skidded while driving and scold you for changing this type of tyres for him, you quote @Jamesc

Few thousand cars use this brand everyday on our roads and only you skid so………

😁

Edited by Fcw75
  • Haha! 7

2 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Thanks for the advices! If you don't mind entertaining me further, could you elaborate on how sub-optimal or worn alignment and suspension could lead to rear traction loss?

The car is in Sg but driven frequently in msia as my FIL has a biz there. I don't think he has experienced it himself, neither has my SIL who also drives the car regularly.

Tyre pressure is likely to be underinflated as I'm aware it is not checked regularly. I would think that underinflated tyre actually has more traction, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

tyre pressure or other mechanical related problems like alignment, shocks should not cause the skid to  happen only on wet surface condition.   If your FIL never faced the same ussue, then something must be wrong with the way you and your wife drive. But I think it is more likely that your FIL is less aware of what happen to the surrounding when he is driving. 

Judging feom what you said, It is more likely due to poor quality or harden tyres.  Change the rear tyres and see if you would still get the same problem.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Hello MCFers, seeking expert opinions. Sometimes I drive my FIL's car, FD Civic stock. On more than one occasion I have experienced the rear sliding. Once was on some backroad corner in Johor, and again recently when making a u-turn from stationary in Sg. Both times, the road was wet, but speed was fairly low. Both times had 1 front passenger, both pax total weight no more than 170kg. My wife driving it on her own has also experienced multiple occasions of loss of rear traction, also on wet road on a bend she says. Tyres are not bald, mileage should be <20k. My wife and I had feedback this to my FIL before and supposedly his tyre shop checked and said all ok.

1. Could this be an alignment and/or suspension issue?

2. I know we like to bash cheap tyres here, but could these so easily lose traction (low speed turn in wet)? Fronts are Firenza ST-something and Rears are Rotalla Setula E-Race, all in stock 205/16 size. Which leads to...

3. Could the different brand/model in the front vs rear be the cause? If my FIL is really stubborn about using budget tyres, could just changing 2 tyres to follow the same brand/model be sufficient to stop these instances of low speed rear traction loss?

Thanks in advance!

speaking from a current s FD cheebic owner, try not to use different set of tyres for front and rear tyres.

Change all to the same tyre brand preferably, you could consider Pirelli Cintutaro P7 which is not bad if your looking for comfort touring tyre with decent grip.

If you want even better grip in both dry and wet then I recommend using  michelin pilot sport 4 which im still currently using. " best" daily driving performance tyre IMO for stock rim size ( 16 inch)

If you want budget there is tourador tyres but Im not sure about the grip levels of these tyres, pricing wise dont think any new tyres can fight tourador though..

• Praise 4

9 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

the details you seek are easily found in Google. i'm not going to reproduce them here. 

the key is to have a competent wkshp check out the car for less money that it would cost to get a new set of tyres. 

on tyre pressures, you're not wrong. But i know some tyre shops assume drivers don't check/pump pressure often enough, thus tend to overpump the tyres.

7 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

tyre pressure or other mechanical related problems like alignment, shocks should not cause the skid to  happen only on wet surface condition.   If your FIL never faced the same ussue, then something must be wrong with the way you and your wife drive. But I think it is more likely that your FIL is less aware of what happen to the surrounding when he is driving. 

Judging feom what you said, It is more likely due to poor quality or harden tyres.  Change the rear tyres and see if you would still get the same problem.

Thanks for your input! I would not discount that driving style is a factor too. I'm not the most gentle driver, but my wife is more conservative than me, so I was surprised when she mentioned that she experienced this a few times. Even then, one can only take a stationary move-off u-turn so spiritedly in a b&b FF car. Anyway, I'm not trying to defend my driving, apologies if it comes across as such. Just curious about the factors at play, and in a weird way, curious about where the limit is.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

speaking from a current s FD cheebic owner, try not to use different set of tyres for front and rear tyres.

Thanks for your input from a FD civic owner! Is this a particularly significant issue for this car? Or your own personal exp as well?

9 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Thanks for your input from a FD civic owner! Is this a particularly significant issue for this car? Or your own personal exp as well?

I think in general doesn’t matter which car, there must be a reason why cars come from factory with 4 tyres from the same brand 😅. It’s not specifically for civic fd lol.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

This one no need to think, just change.. i think tourador will do a better job.

Not his car. If he demands a change then he has to fork out $$. 
I say it only once to the in law. Is his car and money in the end. 

The front tyres are from Sumo while the rear ones is a China brand. Both do not have fantastic reviews.

I think the tail slides have a lot to do with the manner the car is driven into and exit the curves. If there is any unusual change of momentum, a slide may occur. 

Tyres for cars are preferably of the same brand for all four, while it is OK to have different brands between the front and the rear, but left and right must be of the same brand.

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

Thanks all for your inputs!

I'm inclined to believe the rear Rotallas are the limiting factor here, though I also want to be objective and not bash cheap tyres for the sake of it. Shall try to convince my FIL to change the tyres. Anywhere I can "test" the performance of the new tyres without crashing into anything? 🙃 feel free to pm me 

On 10/23/2022 at 1:14 PM, boonhat_91 said:

Hello MCFers, seeking expert opinions. Sometimes I drive my FIL's car, FD Civic stock. On more than one occasion I have experienced the rear sliding. Once was on some backroad corner in Johor, and again recently when making a u-turn from stationary in Sg. Both times, the road was wet, but speed was fairly low. Both times had 1 front passenger, both pax total weight no more than 170kg. My wife driving it on her own has also experienced multiple occasions of loss of rear traction, also on wet road on a bend she says. Tyres are not bald, mileage should be <20k. My wife and I had feedback this to my FIL before and supposedly his tyre shop checked and said all ok.

1. Could this be an alignment and/or suspension issue?

2. I know we like to bash cheap tyres here, but could these so easily lose traction (low speed turn in wet)? Fronts are Firenza ST-something and Rears are Rotalla Setula E-Race, all in stock 205/16 size. Which leads to...

3. Could the different brand/model in the front vs rear be the cause? If my FIL is really stubborn about using budget tyres, could just changing 2 tyres to follow the same brand/model be sufficient to stop these instances of low speed rear traction loss?

Thanks in advance!

if its rear sliding, I'll say its a case of the rubber compound hardened. maybe have a look at the manufacture date of the tyres. threads may be intact but sliding caused by hardened rubber.

stock Civic FD tyre size is quite easy to find, suggest put on all 4 same tyres. 

3 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Important question to ask here is if you love your FIL as much as @Jamescloves his MIL.

:D

I don't see Jamesc ever ask for solution to any nice problem he'd like his beloved mil to have...😁

• Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Important question to ask here is if you love your FIL as much as @Jamescloves his MIL.

more than that, if he loves his wife, and if his wife loves his father, it both answers are yes, then just go have the tyres  replaced, it does not matter whther the FIL will pay him back or not. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 1

Why need to ask?

Just change lah.

What is the alternative?

Don't change, save money

and anything happen to wife father then what?

↡ Advertisement