A Bigger Wedding is Not Always Better

Mustank

We did photo shoot in Bangkok -

6 costumes (including outdoor shoot), 2 portraits, 18 Big photos, 12 medium photos, 48 small photos, plus all the negatives

$1100 SGD

Bangkok ? Exciting driving trips in your New Car and also cheaper Rental Car :o

Edited by Fongmy
↡ Advertisement

We did photo shoot in Bangkok -

6 costumes (including outdoor shoot), 2 portraits, 18 Big photos, 12 medium photos, 48 small photos, plus all the negatives

$1100 SGD

Which century was that man? Oh, the era of film. [lipsrsealed] These days, one would be lucky not to get carrot chopped by the bridal photo studio. The hidden costs are really scary.

I will ban my future son-in-law and daughter to reads what you and bavarian post in this particular thread, if not I'll loose both of them for my funeral [grin]

siang ka pager

Just to share an idiotic wedding that I've attended in the 80s.

It was my army colleague's wedding. In terms of character, he was already one of a kind but no one would imagined that he was capable of pulling off such a trick.

Well, when I arrived at the wedding recept, I saw many ppl rushing into the toilet. Thought what happened and soon the answer came to light.

This idiot colleague of mine made an annoucement through a mic on the content of the ang pao!!

Many came out from the lift immediately made a U-turn to go into the toilet to top up their ang pao [laugh]

Really "courageous" of him as I'm sure it will offend a lot of ppl [sweatdrop]

I really don't know true or rumour that I've never experience it in my lifetime, one of my friend told me only 1 dialect group does that at the reception table...announcing "Mr.So & So seal $50 ang bao money" upon arrival to sign the name list.

siang ka pager

Ar neh kin jiu chap jeep lai....Ai wa si ka char si bo ?

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 2

Which century was that man? Oh, the era of film. [lipsrsealed] These days, one would be lucky not to get carrot chopped by the bridal photo studio. The hidden costs are really scary.

Was around 2002 / 2003

Negotiations very fun - dun in three languages.

Studio owner only speak Thai.

We were taken care of by wifey godma who speak Thai can Cantonese

I hopeless and only speak england.

Went from wifey to godma to me...wifey tell me how to look with each comment....

Very fun - took about 3 hours or more to talk pricing and knock them down

For any wedding reception, if they state what they want, then i'll reply Thanks but No Thanks... head not so big then dun wear such big hat... if cannot afford grand wedding dinner, then better dun hope the guests will pay for you...

For Malay weddings, they still warming invite their guests for their celebrations without any precondition or requests... that's the kind of genuine happy occasions that I'll partake in... its truly sharing the joy than sharing the costs of the reception....

..and I do understand they do not recoup what they paid for reception...they expected it

I really don't know true or rumour that I've never experience it in my lifetime, one of my friend told me only 1 dialect group does that at the reception table...announcing "Mr.So & So seal $50 ang bao money" upon arrival to sign the name list.

Ar neh kin jiu chap jeep lai....Ai wa si ka char si bo ?

..the mention of funeral,dead body,casket,coffin...etc..he will jump out immediately...LOL

• Praise 1

..and I do understand they do not recoup what they paid for reception...they expected it

Bro, you talking abt the Malay wedding ah?

If yes, ya my fren also told me is their exps, and they dun depend on the money gifts to offset the costs.. But we also automatic la.. dun bring whole family to makan their rendang, nasi etc... and also dun ta bao home too.. (haha..) but we (2 people) gave $100 la.. fren fren ma... macham like chinese wedding lidat..

Nowadays, if chinese wedding you die die dun give $200 ang pow, then better wait tio suan by the couple liao... haiz... wedding also like do biz liao.. got P+L... hahaha...

• Praise 1

If yes, ya my fren also told me is their exps, and they dun depend on the money gifts to offset the costs.. But we also automatic la.. dun bring whole family to makan their rendang, nasi etc... and also dun ta bao home too.. (haha..) but we (2 people) gave $100 la.. fren fren ma... macham like chinese wedding lidat..

Nowadays, if chinese wedding you die die dun give $200 ang pow, then better wait tio suan by the couple liao... haiz... wedding also like do biz liao.. got P+L... hahaha...

...yup malay wedding n i always tell them(the couple)when they invite my family...must also invite most of your Chinese colleagues...be coz more angpow $$...

• Praise 2

I think the issue here is over-spending beyond means, and not due to different wedding customs.

Personally I also don't give big ang pao for chinese wedding, if it is family (related), and I have given a gift (this, I find, more meaningful and helpful), e.g. appliances for the new home.

But the people who over-spend and get into loan problems ... usually we see the same, always outfitted with the latest handphones/gadgets... wear branded stuff, etc. Predictable problem, actually.

It's either because they value the wrong things, or do not know or don't bother about financial planning.

Budgeting and planning spending is important, as well as living within one's means. Sometimes hubby and wife cannot agree on "standard" of the wedding... also difficult!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2

I got invitation for Indian wedding at temple.

Anyone can advice how much to give?

Thanks

I attended one of my indian colleague wedding at the temple along little india. I gave the same price as chinese wedding, $80/pax. That time was wife n me attend. The wedding program for them was very long one. Lots of prayer stuff. We went upstairs, watch the whole wedding ceremony, then proceed downstairs for lunch. Food was good.

Really poor thing, looking at my indian colleague getting married. Me not familiar with their wedding rituals but can tell u its really a long one.

Twincharged

Why must host in hotel? Especially when most of the time food is average

yup ... just wasting money ... did mine in a HDB estate chinese restaurant ...on a sunday afternoon ...

make it easier for guests to get to the restaurant and they only have to "waste" about 3 hours with us and they can get on with the rest of their sunday ... and the restaurant quite good/reputable also and not to mention, relatively cheaper.

at day end, collected enough angpow to cover for the lunch and my photo-shoot.

my sis attended a colleague's son's wedding dinner at sentosa ... $3k per table ... end of the day, host had to fork out about $25k over ang pow collected to cover the bill.

due to the amount of guests, many left before the 7th dish (out of 10) at it was already 10:30 pm ... and the worst part was, about 4 talabels es of guerst kenah food poisoning !! however, hotel is disputing the food poisoning claim as they are refuting that only 4 tables of guests were affected.

• Praise 2

I attended one of my indian colleague wedding at the temple along little india. I gave the same price as chinese wedding, $80/pax. That time was wife n me attend. The wedding program for them was very long one. Lots of prayer stuff. We went upstairs, watch the whole wedding ceremony, then proceed downstairs for lunch. Food was good.

Really poor thing, looking at my indian colleague getting married. Me not familiar with their wedding rituals but can tell u its really a long one.

indian one really very long celebration. Can be days in india...

Neutral Newbie

Thanks Adrian.

I attended once many years back in CC. The couple was sitting on the stage and everyone will go up to give them the blessings. They have to sit there for hours.. instead of mingling around with the crowd.

i will encourage my kids to just have a church wedding follow by a lunch buffet

I had both church buffet and hotel dinner. Ang pow from church would have been enough to sponsor my honeymoon, photo shoot etc. But unfortunately it was all used to pay for the hotel banquet :angry:

Edited by Wyfitms

i will encourage my kids to just have a church wedding follow by a lunch buffet

I had both church buffet and hotel dinner. Ang pow from church would have been enough to sponsor my honeymoon, photo shoot etc. But unfortunately it was all used to pay for the hotel banquet :angry:

Personally, I think we should not expect ang pow to cover our expenses.

Isn't a banquet an event to share joy with the rest of your friends?

What joy is there to talk about when you have to help to cover cost for your friends/relative so that he can host the banquet in a posh place?

The logical thinking me cannot comprehend.

I think wedding banquet has turn from "share joy" event to "share cost" event.

Edited by Pioneer

Personally, I think we should not expect ang pow to cover our expenses.

Isn't a banquet an event to share joy with the rest of your friends?

What joy is there to talk about when you have to help to cover cost for your friends/relative so that he can host the banquet in a posh place?

The logical thinking me cannot comprehend.

I think wedding banquet has turn from "share joy" event to "share cost" event.

Once you have this thingy, you can't run away from this "calculations". Best is, don't hold. Use the money for nice holiday and open 2 tables (1 table for each side of the family) for a nice meal. Besides the families, who cares who marry who.

• Praise 1

Once you have this thingy, you can't run away from this "calculations". Best is, don't hold. Use the money for nice holiday and open 2 tables (1 table for each side of the family) for a nice meal. Besides the families, who cares who marry who.

From Wiki

he wedding banquets are a gesture of "thanks" and appreciation, to those that have raised the bride and groom (such as grandparents and uncles). It is also to ensure the relatives on each side meet the relatives on the other side. Thus out of respect for the elders, wedding banquets are usually done formally and traditionally, which the older generation is thought to be more comfortable with

And I found this on some wedding traditions

The money dance, or "dollar dance". Guests pay a small amount of money to dance with the bride or groom. In some cultures, the money is pinned to a special apron worn by the bride or groom. In others, the money is collected by friends. This is prevalent among Polish and Italian couples, although many other brides and grooms often incorporate it. There is considerable debate about the propriety of a money dance in English-speaking countries, where the practice is frowned upon because making guests pay for dancing or socializing with the bridal couple seems inhospitable, greedy, or distasteful

And why do we give gifts at a western wedding?

It an be traced to this

The brides family provided the groom with a large bridal dowry. The bridal dowry contained the necessary items for the bride to start a household. The dowry always included linens, towels, silver, china, glassware, silverware and other household needs. As years passed, the bridal dowry turned into the romantic tradition of The Hope Chest.

↡ Advertisement