Best way to seat new brake pads well

Viceroymenthol

So on my E60 523i, I changed new brake pads recently but left the old rotors on, as they still had lots of life left.

The problem was the squeal when driving slowly (not braking).

I read up on this phenomenon and it appeared that the new pads were not sitting on the backing very well, because of dirt and dust over the years. And while this does not cause friction against the rotors, it is the vibration of the brake pads and the backing that causes harmonics and hence, these squeals.

One of the methods recommended was to drive till 80 or 100 kmh and then brake violently till stop. Do it 5 times (or so they said) and the squeal will be gone cuz the new pads will be seated properly then.

I tried it and it worked! No more squeal.

There are other methods which require taking out the pads again, cleaning the back of the pads and the backing, and then greasing the back of the pads and putting duct tape on them etc but they were a waste of time I thought. This was the easiest and fastest way, but do it somewhere safe.

Edited by Viceroymenthol
↡ Advertisement

That's dangerous. Sometimes, you may have checked for vehicles behind, but vehicles (esp motorcycles) do "suddenly" appear behind / beside you.

This is contrary to what my w/s advised after changing new brake pads. He advised me to brake gradually instead. Avoid sudden hard braking if possible.

Your w/s should have do a proper cleaning and clearing of brake dusts before installing new brake pads instead.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

That's dangerous. Sometimes, you may have checked for vehicles behind, but vehicles (esp motorcycles) do "suddenly" appear behind / beside you.

This is contrary to what my w/s advised after changing new brake pads. He advised me to brake gradually instead. Avoid sudden hard braking if possible.

Your w/s should have do a proper cleaning and clearing of brake dusts before installing new brake pads instead.

This is the first time in my life I experienced this squeal after changing brake pads.. I wasn't sure why.... So I read up on it. Damn the workshop for cutting corners and doing a rush job. Anyway, problem solved now.

Yeah if I had the time to sit around for a few hours watching them clean the brakes, I would. Haha!

This is the first time in my life I experienced this squeal after changing brake pads.. I wasn't sure why.... So I read up on it. Damn the workshop for cutting corners and doing a rush job. Anyway, problem solved now.

Yeah if I had the time to sit around for a few hours watching them clean the brakes, I would. Haha!

Some w/s won't clean away brake dust if you don't specifically say so. They will just remove and put in new pads, that's it.

So on my E60 523i, I changed new brake pads recently but left the old rotors on, as they still had lots of life left.

The problem was the squeal when driving slowly (not braking).

I read up on this phenomenon and it appeared that the new pads were not sitting on the backing very well, because of dirt and dust over the years. And while this does not cause friction against the rotors, it is the vibration of the brake pads and the backing that causes harmonics and hence, these squeals.

One of the methods recommended was to drive till 80 or 100 kmh and then brake violently till stop. Do it 5 times (or so they said) and the squeal will be gone cuz the new pads will be seated properly then.

I tried it and it worked! No more squeal.

There are other methods which require taking out the pads again, cleaning the back of the pads and the backing, and then greasing the back of the pads and putting duct tape on them etc but they were a waste of time I thought. This was the easiest and fastest way, but do it somewhere safe.

Very unprofessional in carrying out this simple task. The mech should have removed all the built-up dirt with a special disc file and clean up the disc surfaces with oil stone to remove all the high spots and galzing

Before placing the pad , the metal to metal contact areas with the caliper should be properly lubricate with high temperature grease .

I do the same too whenever I change my pads but, I don't come to a complete stop. Just to 'almost stop' then accelerate to 100 again.

that is the recommended way to bed-in the pads. But not immed though. Give it abt 2-300 km then the final bedding is to do what you did, meaning come to a hard stop, after 80-100km/h.

Been doing for all my cars. No squeal ever

I do the same too whenever I change my pads but, I don't come to a complete stop. Just to 'almost stop' then accelerate to 100 again.

i remember the mx-5 having a bit of squeal, but disappeared after the procedure mentioned.....

↡ Advertisement