S'pore street food better than HK's?

Jman888

26 members have voted

1. 1. S'pore street food better than HK's?

• Yes
    • No
    • Duno

S'pore street food trumps HK's: Blogger

By Li Xueying

The Straits Times

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013

kckoo_st.jpg?itok=e2WxSoPf

Here's a pretty startling proposition for food lovers in two cities that pride themselves on their culinary delights: Singapore has better street food than Hong Kong.

That's according to Mr K.C. Koo, one of Hong Kong's most prolific food bloggers and a critic, writer and food lover.

"While Hong Kong's street food tradition has all but disappeared, Singapore has done a better job of preserving its hawker food," he argues.

The 45-year-old, a regular newspaper columnist whose Facebook page has nearly 22,000 fans, drew that conclusion after writing a guide to Singapore's hawker food aimed at Hong Kong readers.

The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) flew him to Singapore, where over three trips totalling 10 days, he ate his way through 85 stalls across the island - including wrestling with 10 pepper crabs at five different places.

In the end, 58 stalls made it into his book, written in Chinese and launched last Tuesday.

It showcases an eclectic collection that goes beyond big names to include places like Chye Kee Chwee Kueh in MacPherson, Satay Sejati at Haig Road and Fu Ming carrot cake in Redhill.

STB hopes it will entice younger Hong Kongers, especially professionals, to visit Singapore and go off the beaten track for culinary discoveries.

Singapore has traditionally been more attractive to Hong Kong families. Last year, it received 470,000 Hong Kong visitors, the 10th largest group.

Said STB's regional director (Greater China), Mr Edward Chew: "Food is a big motivator for Hong Kongers to travel - they spend 50 per cent more of their budget on food compared with other travellers."

Mr Koo, a former finance professional who began reviewing food 11 years ago, said he tailored his guide to suit Hong Kongers' taste buds.

For instance, while Singaporeans place a premium on the sambal in nasi lemak or the chilli sauce accompanying chicken rice, these condiments matter less to Hong Kongers, he said. So his listings for nasi lemak include more Chinese stalls offering a wider array of side dishes.

He said that since his first visit to Singapore in 1999, he has found that the quality of hawker food has been consistent.

Take a bowl of prawn noodles, for example. "When you return to the stall, the ingredients, the way they are put together, are the same," he said.

He even thinks the seafood in Singapore tastes fresher than that in Hong Kong, where a well done steamed fish is prized in Cantonese cuisine.

"Whether it's crabs or curry fish head or fish slices, the seafood in Singapore is fresher - it's obvious from the taste and texture," he said.

He thinks it may be because Singapore gets its seafood from nearby waters whereas Hong Kong imports from around the world.

Asked what was his favourite from everything he sampled, he said it was the pepper crab at JB Ah Meng in Geylang. "It's gorgeous," he said.

But is he saying all these nice things about Singapore food because he was sponsored by Singapore's tourism board?

He said: "I'm a food critic. It is important to preserve the integrity of our name."

He did note some areas where Singapore has slipped. He detected the use of frozen meat in chicken rice, and felt that took away some of the flavour. It is a problem in Hong Kong too, he said.

↡ Advertisement

they only have chinese food...............we have many many kind of mixture leh............ :wub:[inlove]

He got try nasi lemak!

but IMHO, I feel food in HK tastes better.

He got try nasi lemak!

but IMHO, I feel food in HK tastes better.

i prefer SG food over HK food............even MY food is my preferred over HK food ............... [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 3

i prefer SG food over HK food............even MY food is my preferred over HK food ............... [laugh] [laugh]

surprise that i can praise you!

yah this region has more variety compare to the HK, and the street food (usually char chan teng) are rice, porridge and noodle, if not dim sum and buns.

surprise that i can praise you!

yah this region has more variety compare to the HK, and the street food (usually char chan teng) are rice, porridge and noodle, if not dim sum and buns.

I think the system has been adjusted.............now seem like is 10 praise/junked turn around system......... [thumbsup]

street food in HK is really kind of limited in my opinion..........so is more of do you prefer this stall over that stall.........whereas here and even in any part of Malaysia..........we can have so many types and kinds of street food all on one table at the same time..............rojar alone already got so many types............chinese .....malay....indian........ :wub:[laugh]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

No surprise to me at all. HK food is nowhere near ours - we have much more variety and selections!

The real competition for SG food is actually, from Malaysia.

maybe i'm a HK fan! or maybe because I am not a chilli lover.

I see my partner, no chilli like cannot eat.. so long there is no chilli, the food like not edible to her...

I see my partner, no chilli like cannot eat.. so long there is no chilli, the food like not edible to her...

its just preference.......... local street food have many great tastes without chilli as well............

its just preference.......... local street food have many great tastes without chilli as well............

Yeah.. but I see those food that tastes great but customers insist chilli.. I feel sad for the cook where he/she spent so much effort for the taste but all are nothing without chilli..

besides, I think in Italy or some other country, if you ask for seasoning, it is considered an insult to the chef!

what competition ??? they win hands down ! [flowerface]

Yes! many food they win!!

but.. I can proudly say we stand very tall with our chilli crab! never came across one in m'sia that does crab as good as our local coffeeshop/restaurants etc..

Supercharged

You are a HK fan of what sort? TVB actress isit? [:p]

She's a real "chilli padi" lah.....real HOT inside!!! [nosebleed]

You are a HK fan of what sort? TVB actress isit? [:p]

She's a real "chilli padi" lah.....real HOT inside!!! [nosebleed]

hahaha.. TVB actress not good enough!! go watch lan kwai fong!!

she chilli padi maybe lah.. but her mum also like that... then her mum is dried chilli?? hahaha

Some food in HK taste much better than SG. For example :

1) Love the won tan mee in HK, both the won tan and the mee taste there taste so much better.

2) Char Siew / roast duck / roast pork triumps over the ones in SG.

3) Curry fish ball is nice too. Never had this in SG.

But the seafood in HK, so so only. Still prefer the seafood here in SG.

Some food in HK taste much better than SG. For example :

1) Love the won tan mee in HK, both the won tan and the mee taste there taste so much better.

2) Char Siew / roast duck / roast pork triumps over the ones in SG.

3) Curry fish ball is nice too. Never had this in SG.

But the seafood in HK, so so only. Still prefer the seafood here in SG.

agree their noodle and 腊味 are good, other than that dun have much variety....

curry fishball i never dare to try, maybe i dun trust curry made in HK [sweatdrop]

Spore street food anytime over hk... ok to be fair i nv ate all ard hk, but generally find them too oily and salty. its normal for their soup base noodle/maccoroni to be layered with a thick layer of oil...

aberthen .... flew him from HK to SIN ... i wonder Biz or First class ... cannot be Eco right ... so cheapskate

when i went to HK ... the majority people there only know 1 food NASI LEMAK and 1 drink TEH TARIK ... 1 fruit ... of course DURIAN

other than that ... they said nothing to eat liao

Guys & gals, STB hired this guy to write review. Do you think his comment is neutral?

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement