Super Typhoon Hit Philippines

Picnic06-Biante15

Scientist most feared have arrived, The Super Typhoon of wind speed of more than 300km/hr .... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Hitting Philippines today with deadly forces of nature ... [grin]

from Yahoo: One of most intense typhoons ever recorded hits Philippines

One of the most intense typhoons ever recorded tore into the Philippines on Friday, triggering flash floods and ripping down buildings as millions of people huddled indoors.

Super Typhoon Haiyan smashed into fishing communities on the central island of Samar, about 600 kilometres southeast of Manila, before dawn on Friday with maximum sustained winds of 315 kilometres (195 miles) an hour.

The strength of the wind made it one of the four most powerful typhoons ever recorded in the world, and the most powerful to have made landfall, according to Jeff Masters, the director of meteorology at US-based Weather Underground.

Masters said he expected the damage in Guiuan, the fishing town of about 40,000 people that was the first to be hit after Haiyan swept in from the Pacific Ocean, to be "catastrophic".

"Perhaps the greatest wind damage any city on Earth has endured from a tropical cyclone in the past century," Masters wrote on his blog for the weather monitoring website at www.wunderground.com.

Communication with Guiuan was cut off immediately after Haiyan hit, and the civil defence office said it was too early to give an assessment of the damage there.

But in Tacloban, a nearby city of more than 200,000 people, streets were flooded and some buildings were torn down, according to footage broadcast on ABS CBN television.

Haiyan had maximum sustained winds on Friday morning of 315 kilometres an hour, and gusts of 379 kilometres an hour, according to the US Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Centre.

more stories, link : http://sg.news.yahoo.com/super-typhoon-haiyan-hits-philippines-230815112.html

The storms are getting bigger and stronger... [sly]

↡ Advertisement

Only positive is that this thing is moving at almost 40km/h from reports, fast in fast out so hopefully flooding is reduced but I think it will still be bad. After that shoot to central Vietnam liao.

For those who have an interest, can check here for updates:

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

I already got my office on standby because we do marine stuff, hopefully no vessel casualties or incidents but usually will have.

Only positive is that this thing is moving at almost 40km/h from reports, fast in fast out so hopefully flooding is reduced but I think it will still be bad. After that shoot to central Vietnam liao.

I already got my office on standby because we do marine stuff, hopefully no vessel casualties or incidents but usually will have.

Thanks.... [flowerface]

dun worry, their president will take it with his smile :D :D

walau... you guys very happy hor....

I have 3 colleauges in Manila right now. Supposed to return today. Hope they are fine.

walau... you guys very happy hor....

I have 3 colleauges in Manila right now. Supposed to return today. Hope they are fine.

the president forever smiling mah, got people die he also smile [rolleyes][rolleyes]

• Praise 1

the president forever smiling mah, got people die he also smile [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

The only time he will not smile is when no pocket money or undertable money for him....

Else... Just smile n act cute loh... all phinoys are like that... got problems also smile.. no problems also smile.. think they care?

Better don't cow peh too much when there's flood or heavy thunderstorm here. Govt will say 'You peasants! Complain so much! Philippines got typhoon every month life also go on, president also kept smiling'.

• Praise 1

they shd have called it Super Typhoon Saiyan

lol that's what first came on my mind too.

hopefully flights back from HK not affected. i've a love one coming back today :(

Turbocharged

And i'll be heading to Vietnam next week. Hopefully the storm will die out by then.

(edited)

And i'll be heading to Vietnam next week. Hopefully the storm will die out by then.

Should be reaching Vietnam tomorrow morning ... [sweatdrop]

Its either turning northward to HK or to Hainan Island after Philippines and if not, straight to Vietnam .. [grin]

Edited by Picnic06

Better don't cow peh too much when there's flood or heavy thunderstorm here. Govt will say 'You peasants! Complain so much! Philippines got typhoon every month life also go on, president also kept smiling'.

Hahaha.. Pple here cow peh cause even if flood still need go work.. over there if flood... its declare holiday loh.. hahaha

Thats the difference...