Tenant don't pay rental. Recourse?

Carmour

Rented out my house to a family late last year on a 2 yr lease.
Payment for the month is supposed to be done on the 1st day of each month.
Damn, he started delaying payment from the 3rd month onwards.

At first, it was a few day, then it became few weeks. Now, I'll be lucky if he pays by the end of the month.

He refuses to communicate to me. Does not answer my phone calls, refuse to meet-up.

I have since sent him 2 warning letters via registered mail, and gotten a court order from the Small Claims Tribunal asking him to pay up.

Problem is that we have so much of the lease to run, and I am tired chasing this f**ker for payment.

This property was rented out via a property agent. Contract is also their's, so I assume that terms are pretty standard.

Extracted as below.

"If the rent hereby reserved shall remain unpaid for seven (7) days after its due or if there shall be a breach of any of the conditions, covenants or stipulations on the part of the Tenant herein contained, the Landlord shall be entitled to re-enter upon the said premises and thereupon this tenancy shall be absolutely determined forthwith, but without prejudice to any right of action of the Landlord for damage or otherwise in respect of any such breach or any antecedent breach."

How should I go about to evict him? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Carmour
↡ Advertisement

At first, it was a few day, then it became few weeks. Now, I'll be lucky if he pays by the end of the month.

He refuses to communicate to me. Does not answer my phone calls, refuse to meet-up.

I have since sent him 2 warning letters via registered mail, and gotten a court order from the Small Claims Tribunal asking him to pay up.

Problem is that we have so much of the lease to run, and I am tired chasing this f**ker for payment.

This property was rented out via a property agent. Contract is also their's, so I assume that terms are pretty standard.

Extracted as below.

"If the rent hereby reserved shall remain unpaid for seven (7) days after its due or if there shall be a breach of any of the conditions, covenants or stipulations on the part of the Tenant herein contained, the Landlord shall be entitled to re-enter upon the said premises and thereupon this tenancy shall be absolutely determined forthwith, but without prejudice to any right of action of the Landlord for damage or otherwise in respect of any such breach or any antecedent breach."

Re enter premises, throw his items out. Changes locks and don't look back.

Try to wait some place and make sure he is not in the property.

Another alternative is contact Singapore power and cut off all power and water to the house.

Re enter premises, throw his items out. Changes locks and don't look back.

Try to wait some place and make sure he is not in the property.

Another alternative is contact Singapore power and cut off all power and water to the house.

Entering premise is not recommended. The tenant has the right to call the police and say they lost millions of dollars.

Adding a padlock is good :D

Entering premise is not recommended. The tenant has the right to call the police and say they lost millions of dollars.

Add padlock must make sure got enough reinforcement standby when the tenant call you, if not 1 person go there all his 'friends' waiting there for you. [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Also problem leh. If someone's in the house and you padlock, fire how?

If you know where he works, send debt collector to his workplace and "harass" him. If he don't pay up repeatedly, he sure kena fried cuttle fish in no time.

Also problem leh. If someone's in the house and you padlock, fire how?

If you know where he works, send debt collector to his workplace and "harass" him. If he don't pay up repeatedly, he sure kena fried cuttle fish in no time.

I think most tenants are foreigners who are here on work passes. The contract should have their employment details too so if all things fail, go to their company and paste O$P$ with a photocopy of their passes.

Extracted as below.

Just wait for 6 months due and then take court action (legal method) .. ^_^

or everyday after midnight, get friends or yourself to bang on the door at different hours to cause him sleepless night.... [sly]

even if it is yourself, no offence banging on own house door .. [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Picnic06

Just wait for 6 months due and then take court action (legal method) .. ^_^

or day after midnight, get friends or yourself to bang on the door at different hours to cause him sleepless night.... [sly]

even if it is yourself, no offence banging on own house door .. [lipsrsealed]

Please do not wait 6 months and suffer in agony

Take action quickly as such tenant from hell may be serial defaulter

Edited by Needinfo

You mentioned that this was tenanted via housing agent. Here your agent to work... it's part of their job for that commission.

Its the agent's responsiblity to ensure rental comes in on time? He don't seem to care lei.

With regards to throwing out all his belongings and padlock the place, its difficult. Because I rented the whole house unfurnished to him. So all his furniture and stuffs are inside. Will need movers to move it.

Can I get police to come in if he refuses to move?

You mentioned that this was tenanted via housing agent. Here your agent to work... it's part of their job for that commission.

Erm... agent already collected commission where got so hard working after that? [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Extracted as below.

Frankly..first thing is to chase them out to stop further problem....as for collecting the outstanding payment....go small claim court to get writ of summon.....

Edited by LoverofCar