Washing machine repair

Hamburger

(edited)

F&P is good. It is the leading brand of washer n dryer in New Zealand. I like F&P products.

But also they are a bit more expensive.

One thing that annoys me is the central pole. It's obstructive.

The model I got now is LG WFT1061DD. $630 from Parisilk. The spin is very quiet.

Edited by Tjkbeluga
↡ Advertisement

My Panasonic washer (12kg) is 6 years. Still working fine. But I's not sure if it is made in Japan. But it is a heavy duty workhorse washer...

Nowadays still got washer made-in-Japan meh?

Sharp still made in Japan.

• Praise 1

Consumer review is certainly a baseline to look for a washing machine.

However, I will never touch a Bosch again, after the bad experience. Replace $200 worth of struts every year or so is crazy.

Each machine I had tend to suffer from the same part failure peculiar to that machine.

So now, I think I just go for cheap top loading and throw away when it requires repair.

Lol to me

Front load = Conti. More maintenance but better wash, saves more water.

Top load = Asian. Less maintenance but might as well soak my clothes in the toilet + uses a lot of water.

Lol to me

Top load = Asian. Less maintenance but might as well soak my clothes in the toilet + uses a lot of water.

From the PUB website, front load generally uses 6L/kg. Top load is 8-9L/kg.

From the PUB website, front load generally uses 6L/kg. Top load is 8-9L/kg.

yeah doesn't seem like much but save the world lol.

Anyway it's just a preference. If i lao ah pek liao, also prefer top load. Easier to throw in.

Panasonic is the only japanese brand with front load.

yeah doesn't seem like much but save the world lol.

Anyway it's just a preference. If i lao ah pek liao, also prefer top load. Easier to throw in.

Per kg leh... so if typical 7kg load each wash is at least 10liter saving liao.

Anyway, I still prefer top load as I can still add in while it's washing.

Per kg leh... so if typical 7kg load each wash is at least 10liter saving liao.

Anyway, I still prefer top load as I can still add in while it's washing.

oh per kg.

Yeah i wash my kids clothes or my wife's clothes manually. So that seems more correct. Uses a lot of water actually.

Supersonic

Lol to me

I see top load is not very efficient, since it stirs the clothes sideways..but somehow clothes do get clean.

Front load is very efficient since it use gravity to turn the clothing, and I agree this is cleaner.

I read machine in USA has something call HE (high efficiency). When I look at it, it seems a normal front load to me.

And there were complains of clothes being smelly or not clean, bcuz they didn't use enough water, trying to be "green"

Where does the dirt goes when there's not enough water to hold it ?

It just get thicker with all the dirt and gunk compared to using more water.

If it can't hold anymore, it goes back into the clothing.

Similar to engine oil and oil filter. When they get overloaded, they can't do their job anymore.

I think there's some machine maybe from LG that's a hybrid. :D

The drum sits at an angle, half front, half top loading.

Panasonic and Hitachi.... [nod]

I see top load is not very efficient, since it stirs the clothes sideways..but somehow clothes do get clean.

Front load is very efficient since it use gravity to turn the clothing, and I agree this is cleaner.

I read machine in USA has something call HE (high efficiency). When I look at it, it seems a normal front load to me.

And there were complains of clothes being smelly or not clean, bcuz they didn't use enough water, trying to be "green"

Where does the dirt goes when there's not enough water to hold it ?

It just get thicker with all the dirt and gunk compared to using more water.

If it can't hold anymore, it goes back into the clothing.

Similar to engine oil and oil filter. When they get overloaded, they can't do their job anymore.

yes that's a problem some aussies reported with Panasonic front load which uses a lot less water.

Supersonic

I bought 5 year warranty. So i don't really care.

Warranty is based on statistics. Let's say 90% of a certain machinery generally last at least 6 yrs without problem, the seller would be willing to give/sell you a 5 yr warranty.

That's why it's common to hear, "it died just after warranty"

Should you buy the 5 yr warranty ?

You'd be buying insurance, hopefully, maybe it will not spoil during the 5 yr period, which is highly unlikely in seller's view.

It comes down to dollars and cents. How much you pay the extended warranty vs how much you would expect to pay for repair.

But if the product has a certain inherent defect, then repair after repair is throwing money into the drain.

It's best to get rid of it in the end.

i think in terms of operating a washing machine, the cost involved is:

1) detergent (assume attack 2 in 1, 80ml per wash. $11.95 / 3500ml * 80ml = $0.27)

2) water (assume 70L. 70L = 0.070m3. 0.07 * 1.4 = $0.1)

3) electricity (assume 0.5kwh * 0.5 hours * $0.26 per kwh = $0.07 per wash)

about 50c per wash

(edited)

Warranty is based on statistics. Let's say 90% of a certain machinery generally last at least 6 yrs without problem, the seller would be willing to give/sell you a 5 yr warranty.

That's why it's common to hear, "it died just after warranty"

Should you buy the 5 yr warranty ?

You'd be buying insurance, hopefully, maybe it will not spoil during the 5 yr period, which is highly unlikely in seller's view.

It comes down to dollars and cents. How much you pay the extended warranty vs how much you would expect to pay for repair.

But if the product has a certain inherent defect, then repair after repair is throwing money into the drain.

It's best to get rid of it in the end.

I only have 5 yr warranty for my AC (which came included) and my washing machine. For a front load machine, i think its prudent. Like i said, it's the only product in my house with purchased extended warranty.

Washing machine technician sure got to meet one haha.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

yes that's a problem some aussies reported with Panasonic front load which uses a lot less water.

Anyone using Panasonic front loader? Is it as quiet as the LG and Samsung? These 2 uses DC motor with car damper; so quiet and stable.

Supercharged

going to get my 4 1/2 yrs brandt washing machine serviced tmr.. the front load bugger is hopping around when spinning at low speed... $70 for tech to come down and +++ for whatever parts... think at least $300 bucks.. [sweatdrop]

Supersonic

going to get my 4 1/2 yrs brandt washing machine serviced tmr.. the front load bugger is hopping around when spinning at low speed... $70 for tech to come down and +++ for whatever parts... think at least $300 bucks.. [sweatdrop]

Hope it's not shocks like my ex-Bosch.

Every time replaced a pair, couple of hundred bucks.

Supercharged

Hope it's not shocks like my ex-Bosch.

Every time replaced a pair, couple of hundred bucks.

i guess most likely is the case... can i fix my stock car shocks lying around to it... i guess it will last 10x more..

Supersonic

i guess most likely is the case... can i fix my stock car shocks lying around to it... i guess it will last 10x more..

I guess you can, if the length and ends fit.

↡ Advertisement