Taxi customers play dirty?

Ahgong

I was in a cab chatting with the driver when he brought up the topic of customers playing dirty which is common these days.

What they do is, they get the driver to drive them to their destination. Only upon arrival, they declare that they only got $X dollars (eg, $4) in their wallets. it is the take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

the taxi drivers have no choice but to take it. Cos if they were to argue with the customer, the customer makes a complain, their rice bowl is threatened.

if the driver makes a report to the police, it will be time wasted for making statements. and customers will never leave their particulars for the driver to make a valid report anyways.

if the driver makes it difficult for the customer to leave the cab till they settle the payment, they may be accused of criminal detainment by the customers.

I checked with my uncle who is also driving a cab and he confirmes that it is common now a days. he gets a few of these cases each week. and there is nothing he can do about it.

have you heard of such stories?
what would you do if you are the taxi driver in such a situation?
Any taxi uncles or aunties to share their views?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

What I know is that the driver would drive to a nearby Police Post and lodge a report, together with the passenger. This is what a taxi driver told me....

Actually the passenger say got $X still not so bad. Some didn't even pay - just open the door and ran off!

• Praise 1

I was in a cab chatting with the driver when he brought up the topic of customers playing dirty which is common these days.

What they do is, they get the driver to drive them to their destination. Only upon arrival, they declare that they only got $X dollars (eg, $4) in their wallets. it is the take-it-or-leave-it attitude.

the taxi drivers have no choice but to take it. Cos if they were to argue with the customer, the customer makes a complain, their rice bowl is threatened.

if the driver makes a report to the police, it will be time wasted for making statements. and customers will never leave their particulars for the driver to make a valid report anyways.

if the driver makes it difficult for the customer to leave the cab till they settle the payment, they may be accused of criminal detainment by the customers.

I checked with my uncle who is also driving a cab and he confirmes that it is common now a days. he gets a few of these cases each week. and there is nothing he can do about it.

have you heard of such stories?

what would you do if you are the taxi driver in such a situation?

Any taxi uncles or aunties to share their views?

You should recommend the taxi driver to get vid rec to install in the taxi. So when there is dispute, at least all the conversation is recorded and also can record of any traffic accident, etc. If customer want to lie and complain, at least there is evidence to show customer is out to not want to pay taxi fare and play dirty.

• Praise 1

You should recommend the taxi driver to get vid rec to install in the taxi. So when there is dispute, at least all the conversation is recorded and also can record of any traffic accident, etc. If customer want to lie and complain, at least there is evidence to show customer is out to not want to pay taxi fare and play dirty.

yeah... i did. and the taxi uncle i was chatting with is saying, there is rarely one car camera that will record within the cabin.

he is still shopping around for one.

Nowadays people really cheapo, want to take taxi but dont want to pay!?

apparently, that is the case.

sad rite?

What I know is that the driver would drive to a nearby Police Post and lodge a report, together with the passenger. This is what a taxi driver told me....

Actually the passenger say got $X still not so bad. Some didn't even pay - just open the door and ran off!

those are equally as bad.

Supercharged

Also heard got some are ladies, they no money to pay, so threaten to strip and shout molest...!!! Then taxi driver had no choice and tells her to go. [:(]

Also heard some tourist give a foreign currency, say no local money - take it or leave it. If it is a currency above SGD, the driver will take as per the amount in the meter (eg, meter shows SGD20, he'll take USD20 from the passenger). I heard this is their "rule". But if some other "lower" currency then got to calculate carefully the exchange rate loh. [sweatdrop]

sad truth is -> its not considered an offence. Even drive to mata-chu also useless, police will only advise both parties to exchange numbers and tell taxi driver to recover $$ next time. Becos the point of contention is - They never say don't want to pay, is they NO MONEY to pay. Utter rubbish ............ As usual, consumers are SCREWED in Singapore [thumbsup]

My uncle is a cab driver so hear stories from him occasionally. Free-riders once in a blue moon for him - fortunately.

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

Yep, heard this before. In fact during the mid 90s, know 1 guy who did this for all his cab rides. He was 18yrs old then & a delinquent.

sad truth is -> its not considered an offence. Even drive to mata-chu also useless, police will only advise both parties to exchange numbers and tell taxi driver to recover $$ next time. Becos the point of contention is - They never say don't want to pay, is they NO MONEY to pay. Utter rubbish ............ As usual, consumers are SCREWED in Singapore [thumbsup]

My uncle is a cab driver so hear stories from him occasionally. Free-riders once in a blue moon for him - fortunately.

Wrong under the law, fare evasion carries a maximum fine of $2,000 or six months' jail per charge for repeat offenders. They can call the police on the spot and let the police record the particulars and refer to LTA for actions.

LTA will proceed to write a letter to recover the money from the passenger. If the passenger refused to pay, they are liable to be charged in court.

Times have changed. Please update all the taxi uncles don't let them suffer in ignorance.

• Praise 3

One taxi uncle told me he got average of 1-2 cases per month. After he installed a car cam, he would point to his car cam whenever he sense the passenger chut pattern type and he has not encountered a single case thereafter. Dunno how true...

Also heard got some are ladies, they no money to pay, so threaten to strip and shout molest...!!! Then taxi driver had no choice and tells her to go. [:(]

Also heard some tourist give a foreign currency, say no local money - take it or leave it. If it is a currency above SGD, the driver will take as per the amount in the meter (eg, meter shows SGD20, he'll take USD20 from the passenger). I heard this is their "rule". But if some other "lower" currency then got to calculate carefully the exchange rate loh. [sweatdrop]

Lol, i guess guys also can excuse the taxi driver trying to touch him and shout molest? [grin]

Taxi drivers will only tell you the bad side of the stories on how they suffer losses ...... [sly]

Why don't they tell you that today, got one passenger gave him $20/- for a $16/- trip and ask him to keep the change..... [:|]

They won't tell the number of tips or how much tips they had received per day cos wait everybody become a taxi drivers and really 'tan bo chiak'.... [sweatdrop]

Even if the passenger doesn't gave the full amout but the tips from other passengers could have covered the lost. ^_^^_^

• Praise 1

Simple. 'cos taxis are operated by individuals. Public buses are operated by employees but owned by companies. If taxis are like public buses, am sure they will make you put down $50 deposit, tap EZLink or credit card and deduct $50 up front.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

but if install car camera inside car, will passengers feel they are being monitored n feel offended... esp. female passengers???

the camera is to protect the driver, not the passengers.

if the passengers are uncomfortable, they can always take the next cab. no?

Simple. 'cos taxis are operated by individuals. Public buses are operated by employees but owned by companies. If taxis are like public buses, am sure they will make you put down $50 deposit, tap EZLink or credit card and deduct $50 up front.

Good point.

Board taxi, tap card first. When alight, tap again to deduct the amount.

But still there are some loop holes, what if the card left with $20/- and the passenger took from Airport to CCK and cost $35/- ... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Good point.

Board taxi, tap card first. When alight, tap again to deduct the amount.

But still there are some loop holes, what if the card left with $20/- and the passenger took from Airport to CCK and cost $35/- ... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Tap card, if not enuff $$$, eject them out from taxis. [laugh]

That's how our public transport works

1. tap card

2. check card got enough $$$

3. if yes, proceed to deduct full fare from stop 1 to last stop (even you board at second last stop)

4. if no, no go.

5. on alighting, tap card again (remember to tap card. It's your fault if you don't). Credit and debit transaction is done after determining your fare. If you forget to tap card on exit, full fare is deducted.

For taxis, they can do "simulation" on estimated fares. If not enough, ejection.

Edited by Kangadrool

Cabs in Australia have camera pointing at passengers. It was for crime prevention, protecting the driver. Should have in S'pore as well.

↡ Advertisement