Speed limit near 10 primary schools to be reduced

Darthrevan

16959204.JPG

From next year, motorists travelling on the roads fronting of 10 primary schools are required to reduce their speed to 40kmh during school operation hours, as part of a pilot road safety project announced by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) today (Nov 14).

A 40kmh speed limit sign and “When Lights Flash” supplementary sign will be put up along the roads, accompanied by flashing amber lights. When in operation, the two amber lights will flash in alternate fashion to remind motorists to slow down.
The new speed limit is among a series of road safety initiatives introduced by the LTA after reviewing the School Zone scheme to enhance road safety for students.
The 10 schools involved are: Shuqun Primary School, CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ School, Canberra Primary School, Nan Hua Primary School, North Spring Primary School, Ngee Ann Primary School, Townsville Primary School, St. Margaret’s Primary School, Gan Eng Seng Primary School, and Ang Mo Kio Primary School.
“A key focus of the PCSC is to enhance road safety for vulnerable road users like young students. The committee has reviewed the existing schemes and identified areas where further improvements can be made,” Parliamentary Secretary for Transport and Chairman of the Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety Committee (PCSC) Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim said during a visit to Shuqun Primary School.
“The new initiatives that we intend to introduce at the 10 selected schools, including Shuqun Primary School, are part of our continued efforts to improve road safety, while balancing the needs of other road users.”
The reduced speed limit will be progressively extended to other primary schools that have zebra crossings and signalised pedestrian crossings along their school frontages.
The LTA will also introduce a toolkit of existing and new road safety initiatives to enhance road safety along primary and secondary school frontages. Among the measures include reminder messages, such as the ‘LOOK’ warning marking to remind pedestrians to check for traffic at zebra crossings, and road markings to remind motorists to slow down.
These measures will be customised according to the site layout outside the schools.
↡ Advertisement

16959204.JPG

From next year, motorists travelling on the roads fronting of 10 primary schools are required to reduce their speed to 40kmh during school operation hours, as part of a pilot road safety project announced by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) today (Nov 14).

A 40kmh speed limit sign and “When Lights Flash” supplementary sign will be put up along the roads, accompanied by flashing amber lights. When in operation, the two amber lights will flash in alternate fashion to remind motorists to slow down.
The new speed limit is among a series of road safety initiatives introduced by the LTA after reviewing the School Zone scheme to enhance road safety for students.
The 10 schools involved are: Shuqun Primary School, CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ School, Canberra Primary School, Nan Hua Primary School, North Spring Primary School, Ngee Ann Primary School, Townsville Primary School, St. Margaret’s Primary School, Gan Eng Seng Primary School, and Ang Mo Kio Primary School.
“A key focus of the PCSC is to enhance road safety for vulnerable road users like young students. The committee has reviewed the existing schemes and identified areas where further improvements can be made,” Parliamentary Secretary for Transport and Chairman of the Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety Committee (PCSC) Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim said during a visit to Shuqun Primary School.
“The new initiatives that we intend to introduce at the 10 selected schools, including Shuqun Primary School, are part of our continued efforts to improve road safety, while balancing the needs of other road users.”
The reduced speed limit will be progressively extended to other primary schools that have zebra crossings and signalised pedestrian crossings along their school frontages.
The LTA will also introduce a toolkit of existing and new road safety initiatives to enhance road safety along primary and secondary school frontages. Among the measures include reminder messages, such as the ‘LOOK’ warning marking to remind pedestrians to check for traffic at zebra crossings, and road markings to remind motorists to slow down.
These measures will be customised according to the site layout outside the schools.

yes, should have been implemented long time ago

IIRC, according to highway code, school zone speed is 30 km/hr (or has it changed since many years?). So, as long as you see "School Zone" lollipop sign, speed limit is 30 km/hr.

IIRC, according to highway code, school zone speed is 30 km/hr (or has it changed since many years?). So, as long as you see "School Zone" lollipop sign, speed limit is 30 km/hr.

which means actually they have increased the spd limit from 30 to 40!!!

another thing LTA / MOE need to look into is the jam along main roads near schools caused by parents stopping, sometime parking, illegally to drop/collect their darling boyboy/girlgirl before and after school!!! Its ok to let the kids walk say 50m to the school gate if the parents drop them in less congest zone and not cause slowig down of other traffic using the same road

Whatever they are doing to make our school children safer is good, but they can easily do more.

Have red arrow right so vehicles can't turn when pedestrian green man is on.

Fence in the middle of roads to prevent jaywalking, because safety comes not only from drivers. Quite a number of schools have fences but not all.

As I travel to schools a lot, I have seen cases where school dismissed and pupils "spurt out" from school gates and anyhow run... [sweatdrop]

Whatever they are doing to make our school children safer is good, but they can easily do more.

Have red arrow right so vehicles can't turn when pedestrian green man is on.

Fence in the middle of roads to prevent jaywalking, because safety comes not only from drivers. Quite a number of schools have fences but not all.

As I travel to schools a lot, I have seen cases where school dismissed and pupils "spurt out" from school gates and anyhow run... [sweatdrop]

Some schools have extra manpower to take care of vehicle/crowd control at the road outside the gate, this is good for the safety of all.

Some schools have extra manpower to take care of vehicle/crowd control at the road outside the gate, this is good for the safety of all.

Yup, some of them are parent volunteers. I often see them in the morning, but when dismissed I see less... Most schools with small gates at hdb/carparks walkways also have security to control.

I feel that after school more scary, cause in the morning they are like zombie herds, but in the afternoon they are like sperm looking for egg. [laugh]

Yup, some of them are parent volunteers. I often see them in the morning, but when dismissed I see less... Most schools with small gates at hdb/carparks walkways also have security to control.

I feel that after school more scary, cause in the morning they are like zombie herds, but in the afternoon they are like sperm looking for egg. [laugh]

exactly, after school their energy level hit the peak and all rush all over the place around the school looking for either places to play, or food sellers to buy drinks/sweets from!!

Supercharged

The intention is good but ultimately it will be negated by parents/guardians stopping by the side of the road waiting to pick up their children/charges all because they are so considerate for their welfare that they can compromise public's safety.

I have seen cars stopping within bus stop while waiting for school to end which forced bus captain to let passengers alight a distance away from the stop. And there were some near misses bcos vehicles created blind spots or children running to board the vehicles. Passengers alighting from bus have to ensure cars not pulling out from bus bay too.

The irony is that this is a daily sight at AMK Primary which is one of the schools involved in the project. Despite the feedbacks that I have shared with them, imo, LTA's latest solution won't seems to eradicate the problems that I have raised to them but will compound it cos it will gives parents/charges a false sense of security.

• Praise 1

Whatever measure the lta takes is as good as nothing if there is NO ENFORCEMENT!

In some private estate school zones, residents park their cars on the red patches and on the yellow box! Go and see for yourself at Fiselio Street and you would understand what I mean!

• Praise 1

Whatever measure the lta takes is as good as nothing if there is NO ENFORCEMENT!

In some private estate school zones, residents park their cars on the red patches and on the yellow box! Go and see for yourself at Fidelio Street and you would understand what I mean!

no porker, my strengths were never assay lighting.

A suggestion if you will, the school ops manager can be the in charge...

fix up recording cameras around the school, summon from the school, revenue to the school.

if the parents want to donate, why not.

the area around the school, the roads become their property during the specific time period.

Cheers to LTA , maybe can? Ops manager responsible for safety on school property lines....

Supercharged

another thing LTA / MOE need to look into is the jam along main roads near schools caused by parents stopping, sometime parking, illegally to drop/collect their darling boyboy/girlgirl before and after school!!! Its ok to let the kids walk say 50m to the school gate if the parents drop them in less congest zone and not cause slowig down of other traffic using the same road

Its the same theory of dropping off your girlfriend 50m away from the destination, so as not to cause congestion. Would you do that?

Everyone wants to drop their loved ones right at the doorstep so they need not walk so far.....Everyone wants the best for their loved ones.

Supercharged

These are usually parent volunteers. Some work to gain points so next year P1 regn can get into an earlier phrase. Some are parents whose child are already studying in the school. Of the 2 groups, some are chio moms too! [:)]

But whoever they are, the scheme is good as it ensures safety for the little ones.

↡ Advertisement