2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Carmour

Just for understanding ... why didnt u stay on with BMW?

I kept my 320 for 8 years and after the 5th year a lot of problems. Oil always leaking, air con problem, radiator problem, suspension problem.

Could be the way I drive, but I'm a little turned off bm so want to try something new and I heard merc more reliable.

What's the price now?

$179,888
↡ Advertisement

For BMW, if u change every 3-5 years usually OK, thats what some people do

For Merc, if unlucky also may have problems after 3-5 years, reliability at least from general opinion seems better, oil leak much less of a problem

Other than luck, the other important point that is often forgotten is that we need to look after our cars well with regular maintenance

Think lowest C180 price is around 173 888 when coe was at 38k, but the perks given were less

I kept my 320 for 8 years and after the 5th year a lot of problems. Oil always leaking, air con problem, radiator problem, suspension problem.

Could be the way I drive, but I'm a little turned off bm so want to try something new and I heard merc more reliable.
$179,888

• Praise 4

Doesn't matter if BM or Merc...problems can arise anytime. Got my new Merc C180 5 years ago front suspension gave problem within 3 months and they have to change some parts, same time the dashboard rattle at times but they can't do anything (taking out the dashboard might cause more problem), few months later the driver seat got some sound at times too. On 4th year have to change the mounting.  

Think lowest C180 price is around 173 888 when coe was at 38k, but the perks given were less

I thought I read sometime back that the were clearing some c180 at $168k but its the batch before the memory seats version.

• Praise 3

For BMW, if u change every 3-5 years usually OK, thats what some people do

For Merc, if unlucky also may have problems after 3-5 years, reliability at least from general opinion seems better, oil leak much less of a problem

Other than luck, the other important point that is often forgotten is that we need to look after our cars well with regular maintenance

yup i maintained my BM very regularly. always by the book, but still problems arise.

general consensus among my peers and relatives seems to be that merc is more reliable.

but right after i ordered, i saw someone's 4 series and it looked so good... but too late haha. maybe next round i will change to 4 series.

• Praise 1

$179,888

E90 is known to be problematic.  It has nothing to do with your drive.

hi, may i know what are the common problems people encounter? is it oil leak?

Oil leak is the most common problem ppl faced.

I think current F30 is better.

hi, may i know what are the common problems people encounter? is it oil leak?

Looks like we have the same experience with our 320! Lol.  Mine had piston problems in 3rd year, fortunately happened in 3rd year while under warranty. Then after 5th year, engine oil leak problems started coming. Finally, in 9-10th year, I had gearbox transmission problems that fortunately a workshop managed to troubleshoot and confirmed it was software issues (previous 3 workshops I checked with said had to change gearbox which could cost 9-10k for refurbished gearbox! Then engine oil started leaking into the radiator which would have been a costly repair too but I used K Seal and thankfully it worked up to the last day when I sent the car for scrap!

Did you service all the way with PML? I did not, so that could have been the cause of my problems. Another friend with a 320 who only goes to PML told me he has spend $45k already on servicing and repairs on his 8 year old 320!

Congrats on your ride!  Think Merc also offered a $2k discount on their $179,888 price before trade-in, right?

Yeah, very. Infact when i was there, the SE didnt even talk about discount on price at all, unless i wanted to book the stock models that were coming in on Jan. For any cars with custom options that need indent, they say no discount off the list price. 

But some discounts they offered was:

1. 5k Service Credit

2. 12 x Send and Receive car from home for servicing

3. Free 1 year road tax

4. $700 off insurance cost, provided take with C&C appointed insurance company

5. 5K over trade which was really pathetic since they quoted 42K + 5K for my old car when outside i could get 53K

6. Free 2 x Grooming package

7. Free upgrade to 19inch rims

8. Free Solarfilm, reverse and front camera, GPS programmed to audio 20, boot mat

All in all i thought it wasnt too bad except for the overtrade. SE even allow me to test drive c180 and c200 2 times each. But i wasn't sold on the booking without COE and waiting until August. Just sharing so other bros can also try to get all these. Cant fault their service at least for me.

what is GPS programmed to Audio 20? Original Garmin Maps on a SD card?

Looks like we have the same experience with our 320! Lol.  Mine had piston problems in 3rd year, fortunately happened in 3rd year while under warranty. Then after 5th year, engine oil leak problems started coming. Finally, in 9-10th year, I had gearbox transmission problems that fortunately a workshop managed to troubleshoot and confirmed it was software issues (previous 3 workshops I checked with said had to change gearbox which could cost 9-10k for refurbished gearbox! Then engine oil started leaking into the radiator which would have been a costly repair too but I used K Seal and thankfully it worked up to the last day when I sent the car for scrap!

Did you service all the way with PML? I did not, so that could have been the cause of my problems. Another friend with a 320 who only goes to PML told me he has spend $45k already on servicing and repairs on his 8 year old 320!

Congrats on your ride!  Think Merc also offered a $2k discount on their $179,888 price before trade-in, right?

thanks! no i went to my own workshop to service after about 4 years. PML very expensive for big issues.

they offered $7k overtrade. took my old bm for $32k

I thought I read sometime back that the were clearing some c180 at $168k but its the batch before the memory seats version.

Seems thats all gone now. 

what is GPS programmed to Audio 20? Original Garmin Maps on a SD card?

Local Garmin Map programmed into the Audio 20.

Seems thats all gone now. 

Local Garmin Map programmed into the Audio 20.

FYI, mine is parallel imported, came with 1 SD slot and 2 UBS port

I bought a Garmin SEA Map SD online from a website at about SGD$150 and it works just fine on my Audio20

The sale on the C180 was for the older version, and it's all gone.

At that time, COE was 38k.. so it's time to move on...

Ok thks for info!

Actually if they selling at $178k (someone even said $176k) then it's about right cos it's newer version with the memory seats and now COE $46k and possibly higher tmr.

• Praise 3

I bought a Garmin SEA Map SD online from a website at about SGD$150 and it works just fine on my Audio20

Going the PI way, was there a reason u didnt opt for Comand? Its cheaper than the Ad price of 10k.

That's interesting. Does the Garmin GPS work well on Audio 20?  Does anyone know can this also be done for the stock C180 from C&C?

For all those who booked your Merc recently, did your SE call to tell you if they got your COE this round? Not sure if that is how Merc works or can assume it's pretty much guaranteed and just wait for delivery?

Also, did anyone manage to minimize their loan with C&C?  I understand they insist that you take a loan for 5 years at 50% of car value, otherwise you don't get those "freebies" like service credits, solar film. etc..  I find it kind of pointless to take the loan and then repay it quickly as you get hit by pretty high early repayment penalties.

↡ Advertisement