2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Carmour

hmm means have to off each time on the engine wor...wow....

No, I told my SE to set it off and he customised my settings so that it does not come on when I start the car. I think it is under individual settings which therock has spoken about.  Should be in the manual somewhere.  Anyway, your SE can do it for you. [;)]   But note that your FC will probably be worse.  

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

No, I told my SE to set it off and he customised my settings so that it does not come on when I start the car. I think it is under individual settings which therock has spoken about. Should be in the manual somewhere. Anyway, your SE can do it for you. [;)] But note that your FC will probably be worse.

If answer is in the manual

No Need to drive car all the way there and ask SE to do lah.

I think you guys are really noobs, man. Machiam first time own car, goodu ah?

Everything need c&c , everything need SE.

Pump petrol want SE to help or not?

Muayhahahahahah

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

This is what I worry most when it comes to conti, even for a supposedly more reliable make like Merc. Is a heng suay thing, hit and miss.

I think the expectation because it is from merc is abit overblown. Are we saying Honda or other names can hv defects. The robotics n manpower used in the manufacture are the same. The only deduction that I conclude is that hopefully your car may end up as a lemon or accident car during transfer.

I think the expectation because it is from merc is abit overblown. Are we saying Honda or other names can hv defects. The robotics n manpower used in the manufacture are the same. The only deduction that I conclude is that hopefully your car may end up as a lemon or accident car during transfer.

Correction : does not end up as a lemon

Have any of you guys decided to turn off the eco start/stop feature? Isn't there more wear and tear on the engine as a result of this function?

I turn it off. Think it's not good for the engine.

In addition to the std comfort, sport, sport + modes, You can create a customised drive mode, where u can set what you want for engine, steering, a/c, Eco etc. Go into your car menu on the screen and look for the drive mode settings

• Praise 2

If answer is in the manual

No Need to drive car all the way there and ask SE to do lah.

I think you guys are really noobs, man. Machiam first time own car, goodu ah?

Everything need c&c , everything need SE.

Pump petrol want SE to help or not?

Muayhahahahahah

Sigh, wish I had all the time in the world to go through manual!  Sadly, I don't have a trove of rolex watches to sell and just watch the world go by or read a 400 page car manual, leh. [:(] 

My SE did the customization when I collected the car. Helps if you know what you want and he can do all that within a few minutes.  Then when I have the time, I can slowly, slowly go through the manual. [:p]  

(edited)

In days gone by, one could truly hope into a new car, gun the motor, and make tire tracks into the sunset. 

However in the modern day and age, even the most basic cars come with some electronics, some form of gadgets and even the most haughty salesman from Toyota will need to spend a few minutes tell you about the basic functions.

( I recall going to the yard to pick up my Corolla myself, the man tossed me my keys, and that was it - good luck and good bye) 

However that would be missing out on a significant part of the car driving experience. Yes, you can put the car into auto, press on the pedal and go, but these days there are so many more functions, and you will get a lot more out of the car if you spend a little time to learn some of these functions. 

Of course, you could pick up the phone call or text your rep, or ask in a forum and get some replies, but IMO, part of the joy of owning a car is to explore the functions and pick up one nice surprise after another. Perhaps it's because I am a marginal Merc owner, so each function is new, and also my last car was from a different era, where the only thing auto was the gearbox. But it has been part of my joy to learn stuff like the different driving modes, try them out and store the settings. Even the budget entry models have learning functions, and a capacity to store your settings under the "I" mode. There are also other surprises like the air filter, which is capable of filtering out PM 2.5 particles, and you can drive in the fresh air mode without sucking in fumes from the nearby cars (of course if there's a huge truck in front of you spewing black fumes, be smart and switch to recirculating air). 

On the other hand, a repeat buyer, or a busy businessman buying a three point star could want to go on with his/her new ride and bark orders at his rep whenever he finds something wrong, or just drive into the workshop and demand instant solutions for a car which he/her paid a lot for. 

So the answer I feel is somewhere in between. You don't not need to be a geek or techie like me, and pore over the manual many times, nor do we want to drive 'blind'. If we regard learning the functions as a chore, it will be so. If not it can be a whole lot of fun. I recall the day I got my ride, and we took pics, had a laugh and of course paid scant attention to the rep, who was valiantly trying to explain the functions. So yes, the Merc rep does have a checklist of functions he has to go through, and I have posted about that car collection process before. I am pretty sure the rep would have touched on this "I" mode, but I think I might have lost focus then.

In the same vein, I do spend some time reading the manual of my new hifi or oven, just enough to make sure it doesn't blow up and I get to enjoy all the various functions. I guess you could say I am a geek / techie at heart.

As for the bits falling off. The good news is that it's a small item, and it's great that the warranty will most certainly cover this. However it may be better news to know that the W205 7G has been largely trouble free, with few complaints about this car, ever since it's introduction in 2014. The East London factory in S.A. has won awards for it's quality. Maybe the chap who did the rubber thing was in a hurry to get to a Springbok match.. 

Even so, I would also take umbrage with the shoddy quality, even for a Corolla, to have something like this falling off is unacceptable. I would expect more from a premium marque. And the C class is not the budget car, mine is. Even then, I don't think I would like to see this level of QC.

In my case, I did have a squeaky noise in my entry level car window too, and they fixed that, no questions asked. No one at C&C told me to accept it, and neither did they deny it. Took the car in, tested it, and sorted it out. They also cleaned the car, and helped me to polish off most of my aforementioned scratch, even though the Alex workshop technically doesn't do body work. Yes, it took a couple of days, but my car sounds really quiet and for me, it's been a pleasure to drive the bread van look car, exploring the new functions and enjoying the turbo, the paddles and more.

As always YMMV - your mileage may vary. But since it's our ride already, why not enjoy it to the fullest. Cheers.

Edited by therock

Cmon lah. Not as if u r getting C43 or C63.

Maybe you earn big bucks bro, some of us feels that a car that cost that much should be of quality. Or else could have bought cheaper and less reputable cars. Its a given expectation.

I will too go back C&C and give a straight face. Its not a matter of 2mins DIY anymore. Its the expectation of premium quality.

I believe you still have to toggle your drive mode to "individual" to have that "programmed" start-stop off to work. Each time you start your engine. 

Isn't more steps than a press of the start-stop dedicated button? 

Unless you go Sports/sports+ mode each time anyway. 

Sigh, wish I had all the time in the world to go through manual!  Sadly, I don't have a trove of rolex watches to sell and just watch the world go by or read a 400 page car manual, leh. [:(] 

My SE did the customization when I collected the car. Helps if you know what you want and he can do all that within a few minutes.  Then when I have the time, I can slowly, slowly go through the manual. [:p]  

I believe you still have to toggle your drive mode to "individual" to have that "programmed" start-stop off to work. Each time you start your engine. 

Isn't more steps than a press of the start-stop dedicated button? 

Unless you go Sports/sports+ mode each time anyway. 

Hmm... my SE set it such that I go straight in to my individual mode and he customized my preferred settings for drive type, steering, eco start/stop, etc.. So when I start the car, I don't even toggle the drive mode - it goes into the preferred individual setting with eco start/stop off. 

Just a general point to others  - I do think it is very important to read the manual whether for your TV, refrigerator or car.  So important that I tend to do it slowly to better absorb the information (probably getting to that age where one tends to forget things easily too! [laugh] ) and for easier recall.  But if you are pressed for time, and need to get things done quick, going to your SE is a good option.  You can follow up the process with the manual later. BTW, I found that keeping in touch with my SE to be really useful as he has given me a lot of tips on how to operate/maintain the car that is not in the manual. 

Simi press for time? Simi old age? Simi do things quick?

If one always say no time to find out, then the person life is si buay chiam.

Spponfeed, breastfeed... no wonder our strawberry generation is softer than my toilet paper if they observe and learn.

Imagine ur colleagues pressed for time, need to do things quick and are old, and they keep calling out for the expert you to solve their work issues. Damn jialat right?

• Praise 1

In days gone by, one could truly hope into a new car, gun the motor, and make tire tracks into the sunset. 

However in the modern day and age, even the most basic cars come with some electronics, some form of gadgets and even the most haughty salesman from Toyota will need to spend a few minutes tell you about the basic functions.

( I recall going to the yard to pick up my Corolla myself, the man tossed me my keys, and that was it - good luck and good bye) 

However that would be missing out on a significant part of the car driving experience. Yes, you can put the car into auto, press on the pedal and go, but these days there are so many more functions, and you will get a lot more out of the car if you spend a little time to learn some of these functions. 

Of course, you could pick up the phone call or text your rep, or ask in a forum and get some replies, but IMO, part of the joy of owning a car is to explore the functions and pick up one nice surprise after another. Perhaps it's because I am a marginal Merc owner, so each function is new, and also my last car was from a different era, where the only thing auto was the gearbox. But it has been part of my joy to learn stuff like the different driving modes, try them out and store the settings. Even the budget entry models have learning functions, and a capacity to store your settings under the "I" mode. There are also other surprises like the air filter, which is capable of filtering out PM 2.5 particles, and you can drive in the fresh air mode without sucking in fumes from the nearby cars (of course if there's a huge truck in front of you spewing black fumes, be smart and switch to recirculating air). 

On the other hand, a repeat buyer, or a busy businessman buying a three point star could want to go on with his/her new ride and bark orders at his rep whenever he finds something wrong, or just drive into the workshop and demand instant solutions for a car which he/her paid a lot for. 

So the answer I feel is somewhere in between. You don't not need to be a geek or techie like me, and pore over the manual many times, nor do we want to drive 'blind'. If we regard learning the functions as a chore, it will be so. If not it can be a whole lot of fun. I recall the day I got my ride, and we took pics, had a laugh and of course paid scant attention to the rep, who was valiantly trying to explain the functions. So yes, the Merc rep does have a checklist of functions he has to go through, and I have posted about that car collection process before. I am pretty sure the rep would have touched on this "I" mode, but I think I might have lost focus then.

In the same vein, I do spend some time reading the manual of my new hifi or oven, just enough to make sure it doesn't blow up and I get to enjoy all the various functions. I guess you could say I am a geek / techie at heart.

As for the bits falling off. The good news is that it's a small item, and it's great that the warranty will most certainly cover this. However it may be better news to know that the W205 7G has been largely trouble free, with few complaints about this car, ever since it's introduction in 2014. The East London factory in S.A. has won awards for it's quality. Maybe the chap who did the rubber thing was in a hurry to get to a Springbok match.. 

Even so, I would also take umbrage with the shoddy quality, even for a Corolla, to have something like this falling off is unacceptable. I would expect more from a premium marque. And the C class is not the budget car, mine is. Even then, I don't think I would like to see this level of QC.

In my case, I did have a squeaky noise in my entry level car window too, and they fixed that, no questions asked. No one at C&C told me to accept it, and neither did they deny it. Took the car in, tested it, and sorted it out. They also cleaned the car, and helped me to polish off most of my aforementioned scratch, even though the Alex workshop technically doesn't do body work. Yes, it took a couple of days, but my car sounds really quiet and for me, it's been a pleasure to drive the bread van look car, exploring the new functions and enjoying the turbo, the paddles and more.

As always YMMV - your mileage may vary. But since it's our ride already, why not enjoy it to the fullest. Cheers.

Old man like me don't say thick car manual, a new smart phone I also got problem figuring it out all its functions. 

Sigh, wish I had all the time in the world to go through manual! Sadly, I don't have a trove of rolex watches to sell and just watch the world go by or read a 400 page car manual, leh. [:(]

My SE did the customization when I collected the car. Helps if you know what you want and he can do all that within a few minutes. Then when I have the time, I can slowly, slowly go through the manual. [:p]

Yes i agree, if it was all done upon collection of car.

Now we are not talking about upon collection, are we?

Of course, nobody here has a trove of Rolex watches nor thousands of cigars stashed away.

But there is no need to go thru 400 pgs unless you dont know how to use contents or index page.

Hmm... my SE set it such that I go straight in to my individual mode and he customized my preferred settings for drive type, steering, eco start/stop, etc.. So when I start the car, I don't even toggle the drive mode - it goes into the preferred individual setting with eco start/stop off.

Just a general point to others - I do think it is very important to read the manual whether for your TV, refrigerator or car. So important that I tend to do it slowly to better absorb the information (probably getting to that age where one tends to forget things easily too! [laugh] ) and for easier recall. But if you are pressed for time, and need to get things done quick, going to your SE is a good option. You can follow up the process with the manual later. BTW, I found that keeping in touch with my SE to be really useful as he has given me a lot of tips on how to operate/maintain the car that is not in the manual.

Before collecting my car next weekend... I already downloaded the mercedes app and read through the car manual for my model a couple of times. 7 months waiting time helps.

I must have missed the part about the individual mode being able to be set as the starting mode after each engine start.

Let me go look at my manual again.

• Praise 1

Found it..... Unless your SE can help do special coding that over-ride the factory setting, I will also want my SE to do it before delivery. 

post-24957-0-29395100-1491724716_thumb.jpg

Just a general point to others  - I do think it is very important to read the manual whether for your TV, refrigerator or car.  So important that I tend to do it slowly to better absorb the information (probably getting to that age where one tends to forget things easily too! [laugh] ) and for easier recall.  But if you are pressed for time, and need to get things done quick, going to your SE is a good option.  You can follow up the process with the manual later. BTW, I found that keeping in touch with my SE to be really useful as he has given me a lot of tips on how to operate/maintain the car that is not in the manual. 

• Praise 1

Hi i have a small black box thats at the left extreme corner of my dash board that writes GPS, does that mean I can just purchase the garmin software to install the GPS?