Handbrake Lever up, does the brake light comes on?

Tinytok

Hi Guys,

Am driving a Manual Kia Rio.

Just would like to check, while car at stationary, and i pull up the handbrake lever, will the brake lights comes on?

I've check on my car, and the brake light doesn't come on, so wondering whats the norm or it needs some attention.

Thanks for giving me some advice on what's observed on your car even if its not a Kia.

↡ Advertisement

My Getz 1.4's brake light does.

But if old car like mine, the Dashboard lighting some portions not working liao. Eg, my speedo. So I stick on with bluetac ostram....

Gearbox postion lights & air con knobs, the lights also gone liao.

Hi Guys,

Just would like to check, while car at stationary, and i pull up the handbrake lever, will the brake lights comes on?

I've check on my car, and the brake light doesn't come on, so wondering whats the norm or it needs some attention.

Thanks for giving me some advice on what's observed on your car even if its not a Kia.

It's perfectly normal. It's international norm.

If you want brake lights to be ON, either step on it or switch on pole/head lights, then rear light will be always ON for visbility and safety.

Supercharged

You mean the brake warning light on the dash, or the rear brake light ?

If rear brake lights, it would not light up if you pull up the handbrake lever.

It's perfectly normal. It's international norm.

If you want brake lights to be ON, either step on it or switch on pole/head lights, then rear light will be always ON for visbility and safety.

Very paiseh. Just woke up. ....sleepy driver.....

Correction.

1) Handbrake = rear lights don't don't light up.

2) Foot brake = Yes.

Also read that in Europe, its social norm to use Hand brake when stop at Junction. Because its socially gracious. (no light)

Conversely, if u use foot brake, u are irritating the driver behind with ur brightened rear lights.

Need to smoke.....more coffee.....

Hi Guys,

Are you serious? Just got to any carpark and look at all the parked cars. See which car with the handbrake up has its brake lights come on.

*facepalm*

I mean the rear brake light on the left and right on the back.

Thanks for the information, it kills my procrastination.

You mean the brake warning light on the dash, or the rear brake light ?

If rear brake lights, it would not light up if you pull up the handbrake lever.

i think you saw the rear fog light....... how long have you been driving?

i think you saw the rear fog light....... how long have you been driving?

Unker, he's expecting the brake lights to come on when the handbrake is pulled but he didn't see any. Hence he asked whether it's norm.

*double facepalm*

Edited by Watwheels
  • Dislike 1

Unker, he's expecting the brake lights to come on when the handbrake is pulled but he didn't see any. Hence he asked whether it's norm.

*double facepalm*

dun like that lah, i saw the question this morning and reminds me of 10 years ago when mcf started, good to see such noob question again [laugh]

Rear brake lights only come on when you step on the brake pedal, or more precisely, the pedal releasing the brake switch, which turns on the lights.

Nothing to do with handbrake lever.

Rear brake lights only come on when you step on the brake pedal, or more precisely, the pedal releasing the brake switch, which turns on the lights.

Nothing to do with handbrake lever.

and i thought i read wrongly...

when you pull up the handbrake lever only the handbrake light indicator on the dashboard will light up when you start the car electric current or the engine...however handbrake light indicator will be turn off when you remove your car key.

rear brake light (tail light) will light up when you press on the brake pedal regardless if your engine is on or whatsoever....

Edited by calbin7077

Neutral Newbie

I came here to find out if US car regulations were different to Australia as I'm watching an American TV show which showed (from behind) a car stopped at night and the driver and passenger get out but the middle brake light stays lit, as are the left and right one.

In other words, the lights would imply someone is sitting in the driver's seat with the brake pedal depressed.

In Australia, if the headlights are on and the brake pedal is not depressed, only the left and right rear lights are lit at a lower lumen level (so people know there is a car in front in the dark) and when the brake pedal is depressed, the right and left brake lights brighten and the middle one (usually at top of rear window) comes on.

Watching NCIS S17E17 shows the driver get out and lights stay on so I thought US regulations were different to Australia and rest of the world.

I think the show had someone sit inside and step on the brake pedals... I have rented cars from quite a few countries and never encountered a car where the rear brake lights remain lit with the hand brake lever lifted to engage the parking brake leh...

↡ Advertisement