Malaysian guy calls S'poreans idiots for buying petrol in JB

Darthrevan

petrol-main.jpg

A Malaysian guy calls Singaporeans time-wasting idiots and blames them for the jams at the checkpoint because they buy petrol in Johor Bahru.

How much can a dude who stays in Woodlands save by pumping a quarter of his tank with Malaysian gas?

he's stuck in a jam. i guess that's why he's pissed. It's like me when people get into accidents... so hard to drive a bit more carefully meh ... [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Lala81

He is right. Sinkies are the stupid ones who push the price of COE so sky high. Then want to scrimp on petrol and go over jb for that 1/4 tank [thumbsdown]

• Praise 2

He is right. Sinkies are the stupid ones who push the price of COE so sky high. Then want to scrimp on petrol and go over jb for that 1/4 tank [thumbsdown]

All want face mah... Got car, got face. Got face more important than got money in the bank account and less debt worries.. Got one guy I know, bought car in 09, when his salary 1.5k.. Now 1.8k, but at least, his car installment under $300 a month.. Still.. =X

Then he goes JB to pump..

Edited by Hydrocarbon

How much can a dude who stays in Woodlands save by pumping a quarter of his tank with Malaysian gas?

Depends. If he lives in W'lands, works in W'lands and exclusively pumps gas in JB without subjecting himself to petrol-wasting Causeway jams (i.e. by going across at ungodly hours), then he can save a LOT. Basically, he only has to pay Singapore taxes on that initial 3/4 tank. Of course, this presupposes that he religiously fills up every time the needle goes to 3/4 and never lets it drop further than that. I bet he can't even "take chances" with a needle between 1/2 and 3/4 tank - our customs guys must be briefed to pay especial attention to "regulars" like him.

The customs guys can easily discourage him by singling him out for a spot check (for modded fuel gauge) every time he crosses. Even if they know him by sight from his frequent trips, they might decide to be bloody-minded and waste his time and petrol just to stop him from filling up in JB.

Edited by Turboflat4

petrol-main.jpg

A Malaysian guy calls Singaporeans time-wasting idiots and blames them for the jams at the checkpoint because they buy petrol in Johor Bahru.

If like that also complain then China forums very busy cos everyday got Sporeans scold them...

• Praise 1

Depends. If he lives in W'lands, works in W'lands and exclusively pumps gas in JB without subjecting himself to petrol-wasting Causeway jams (i.e. by going across at ungodly hours), then he can save a LOT. Basically, he only has to pay Singapore taxes on that initial 3/4 tank. Of course, this presupposes that he religious fills up every time the needle goes to 3/4 and never lets it drop further than that. I bet he can't even "take chances" with a needle between 1/2 and 3/4 tank - our customs guys must be briefed to pay especial attention to "regulars" like him.

The customs guys can easily discourage him by singling him out for a spot check (for modded fuel gauge) every time he crosses. Even if they know him by sight from his frequent trips, they might decide to be bloody-minded and waste his time and petrol just to stop him from filling up in JB.

If he only works in woodlands then he won't save much since he won't even be driving around much.

And why should the customs officer try to deter someone from buying petrol? It doesn't their job or responsibility to do so.

If he only works in woodlands then he won't save much since he won't even be driving around much.

And why should the customs officer try to deter someone from buying petrol? It doesn't their job or responsibility to do so.

The working in W'lands part is not a must. He can drive anywhere he likes as long as he doesn't let the fuel tank drop below 3/4. A lot more difficult to maintain discipline if he drives a lot, though. But even if he doesn't drive much, he'll still save significantly over time compared to someone filling up exclusively on overpriced Sg fuel.

As to the second part:

Why should they indeed care if someone has 3/4 tank or more when crossing over?

Simply because it's the law, and this law is designed to protect the economic interests of the Singapore government.

They are perfectly within their rights to check him as often and as rigorously as they want. By checking him so frequently that it becomes a deterrent, they are serving not just the letter of the law, but also its spirit (which is to prevent Singaporeans from going into Malaysia to buy fuel). So, yes, I can see them doing it.

Edited by Turboflat4

been going in quite frequent lately, every time pump full tank go in and come back, dun even dare to drive into their petrol kiosk [sweatdrop]

Edited by Jman888

Depends. If he lives in W'lands, works in W'lands and exclusively pumps gas in JB without subjecting himself to petrol-wasting Causeway jams (i.e. by going across at ungodly hours), then he can save a LOT. Basically, he only has to pay Singapore taxes on that initial 3/4 tank. Of course, this presupposes that he religiously fills up every time the needle goes to 3/4 and never lets it drop further than that. I bet he can't even "take chances" with a needle between 1/2 and 3/4 tank - our customs guys must be briefed to pay especial attention to "regulars" like him.

A typical 1.6L car has a 40L - 50L tank of which a quarter ranges from 10L - 12L.

Filling gas in Malaysia probably saves close to $1 per litre or even less. So it means $10 - $12 savings from the difference in gas prices.

I'm not sure if it justifies the trips at unearthly hours. BTW do you need to pay toll when you cross over in Woodlands?

been going in quite frequency lately, every time pump full tank go in and come back, dun even dare to drive into their petrol kiosk [sweatdrop]

Well, I'm heading up this weekend with the M guys. But I've brimmed my tank with V-power, and will fill as little Malaysian petrol as possible. Can't be helped though - it's a long drive we have planned.

A typical 1.6L car has a 40L - 50L tank of which a quarter ranges from 10L - 12L.

Filling gas in Malaysia probably saves close to $1 per litre or even less. So it means $10 - $12 savings from the difference in gas prices.

I'm not sure if it justifies the trips at unearthly hours. BTW do you need to pay toll when you cross over in Woodlands?

Can't remember about the toll, but I think you do. Still a small amount relative to the savings, but you're right, it does eat into it.

As to the ungodly hours thing - some people value neither their time nor their sleep. Who are we to judge them? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement