COE issue

Tanahseng

Neutral Newbie

My champion grumbler reasons are

1) My kimchi 1.4 only 9/litre. Japs 1.3 14/litre ( But again I only do <13k annually)

2) No boot. Cant bring bicycles for kids. ( But can install those mountings on door? But costly I heard. )

3) under powered. 0-100, 14 secs. ( suck thumb )

4) OMV 10.8k. Ridiculous omv ratio to coe price. ( suck thumb )

But all said, most likely can renew coe only. cant afford new car with new coe even if its at 40k.

Cars are not always about luxury. It is sometimes a necessity, especially when the family has kids, with kid, you need to travel often with stroller, buy alot more groceries, like diapers,etc. Travel for enrichment classes during weekends can be a serious burden without a car. Which other country, big or small has our car problem?. none, this is really uniquely Spore.

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

Cars are not always about luxury. It is sometimes a necessity, especially when the family has kids, with kid, you need to travel often with stroller, buy alot more groceries, like diapers,etc. Travel for enrichment classes during weekends can be a serious burden without a car. Which other country, big or small has our car problem?. none, this is really uniquely Spore.

Precisely. If not for young kids, wont even have considered getting a car inspite of so called cheap coe at 14k.

Its just too disgusting to see my car with a RRP of 4000 pounds in a UK magazine, when I paid 44000 here. And I'm suppose to be thankful....

And take Cab with young kids? 1 must note that most cabbies are smokers. Ever tried getting into an elevator with s smoker who just smoked? btw, i'm a smoker. But I always ensure I smoke at least 25-30 mins b4 getting into the car with my kids.

And I don't smoke in my car/home (neither at corridor, my is door to door unit), period. And yes, my elder kid has sensitive URT. So even at home, same rules apply before I get into the bedroom when air con is turned on. With non air con environment, I take 15mins cool down after smoking before getting near my kids. Rinse mouth, gargle... etc..

1) Getz 1.4 getting 9km.lit is abt average cos I heard this car a bit high FC but still can do lah. My Optra Estate auto when I bought, I got abt 10km/lit. Then I do grounding, I got 12km/lit n when change to sports rims, I now get abt 14km/lit. Maybe u can explore some ways to improve yr FC.

2) Get those bicycle rack to mount at rear or roof rack. Rear rack I saw last time abt $50 only.

3) U use for transport or u go tracking every weekend?

4) My Optra scrap only abt $8K hor. :wacko:

5) If COE stay at $70K, I also dun wan to renew. Its crazy [hur] . I wil just ride bike or take public transport n get another car if/when the COE comes down to a more realistic amount. Just imagine COE at $70K, yr COE depreciation ONLY is $7K/year. Have not include the car price depreciation yet. [dizzy]

1 9km/L is low for such a car, my son's 22yr old 1.6 hatchback is still doing 12km/L

2 when we go cycling together to check out which park connectors attrack cyclists of all sexes?

3 everyday can be a track day, when TP is not around

4 scrap it and get two good bicycles, one for you, one for me!!

5 yes, its crazy to renew coe at 70k!!! btw, lets say coe drops to 20k, ok to renew?

whatever FC we get its still going to be costly to drive if the tank is filled with sgp petrol

Precisely. If not for young kids, wont even have considered getting a car inspite of so called cheap coe at 14k.

Its just too disgusting to see my car with a RRP of 4000 pounds in a UK magazine, when I paid 44000 here. And I'm suppose to be thankful....

And take Cab with young kids? 1 must note that most cabbies are smokers. Ever tried getting into an elevator with s smoker who just smoked? btw, i'm a smoker. But I always ensure I smoke at least 25-30 mins b4 getting into the car with my kids.

And I don't smoke in my car/home (neither at corridor, my is door to door unit), period. And yes, my elder kid has sensitive URT. So even at home, same rules apply before I get into the bedroom when air con is turned on. With non air con environment, I take 15mins cool down after smoking before getting near my kids. Rinse mouth, gargle... etc..

Road space is very limited in a small country like sgp yet we see many cars occupying road space but have only 1 or 2 persons onboard. This is very inefficient way of using such a limited amenity (road space)

Maybe LTA can start from a clean sheet in terms of ERP using today's high tech detection gadgets:

ERP charges will be based of two factors: size of car, number of persons onboard whenever the car passes through a gantry equipped with enough hi tech sensors etc to track these two items

the larger the size of the car, the higher the ERP charge

the more persons in the car, the lower the ERP charge, in fact, any car which carries 4 persons will not be charge!

this is going right to the root of the problem

maybe there will be loopholes, or flaws in this method, but the overall concept sticks to the root cause of congestion

Edited by Maseratigood

Road space is very limited in a small country like sgp yet we see many cars occupying road space but have only 1 or 2 persons onboard. This is very inefficient way of using such a limited amenity (road space)

Maybe LTA can start from a clean sheet in terms of ERP using today's high tech detection gadgets:

ERP charges will be based of two factors: size of car, number of persons onboard whenever the car passes through a gantry equipped with enough hi tech sensors etc to track these two items

the larger the size of the car, the higher the ERP charge

the more persons in the car, the lower the ERP charge, in fact, any car which carries 4 persons will not be charge!

this is going right to the root of the problem

maybe there will be loopholes, or flaws in this method, but the overall concept sticks to the root cause of congestion

I do agree on the taxes by physical dimensions part. As for number of passengers, quite impossible. Later people place LPG tanks in the car to make up the weight of 4 or so that the sensor can sense. lol

My 1.4AT being gentle could get 11/litre and progressively deteriorate to 9.2-9.5/litre today.

12/litre for a 22yrs 1.6. Its a manual I assume ?

I do agree on the taxes by physical dimensions part. As for number of passengers, quite impossible. Later people place LPG tanks in the car to make up the weight of 4 or so that the sensor can sense. lol

My 1.4AT being gentle could get 11/litre and progressively deteriorate to 9.2-9.5/litre today.

12/litre for a 22yrs 1.6. Its a manual I assume ?

yes, its a 5 speed manual.... auto cant really achieve 12km/l I guess

people will use rubber dolls to fool the sensors.....

in London they use sensors which recognise car plate number, wonder more advanced sensors can recognise faces of persons in cars, or at least count the number of faces?

yes, its a 5 speed manual.... auto cant really achieve 12km/l I guess

people will use rubber dolls to fool the sensors.....

in London they use sensors which recognise car plate number, wonder more advanced sensors can recognise faces of persons in cars, or at least count the number of faces?

lol, I like the rubber dolls part. Human sized...... Drive at night scared......

btw, do u think manual cars will have poorer value at end of coe which could benefit me if I go for such a car for the purpose of renewing coe. Understand OPC cars have more MT selections & lower mileage ?

Twincharged

Actually don't really need a car even with young kids. I normally go out with my kids on public transport. They enjoy it more and I don't need to waste time finding for a parking lot when I reach the destination.

• Praise 1

lol, I like the rubber dolls part. Human sized...... Drive at night scared......

btw, do u think manual cars will have poorer value at end of coe which could benefit me if I go for such a car for the purpose of renewing coe. Understand OPC cars have more MT selections & lower mileage ?

Get those like old Corolla manual or Ford Focus 1.6M. Very diffult to find, but once advertised in carmart it will be gone in 1 day or within a week's time.

There are families with kids but no car ownership, so it is not exactly a necessity but a great enhancement to the quality of life in smileless Singapore. Anyway, this topic discussed countless times.

Jakarta got a bigger problem than us, the rich are stuck in jams, poor can't even have access to good public transport. At least things still work in Singapore but govt not doing enough to improve the public transport system so as to make the transition less painful for most people.

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Get those like old Corolla manual or Ford Focus 1.6M. Very diffult to find, but once advertised in carmart it will be gone in 1 day or within a week's time.

I was actually thinking about 08/09 MT models for - City, Advante, GLX

But wife only have class 3A..... Other thing is that I avoid highways on weekdays due to erp. eg, from town head towards potong pasir direction via Serangoon road. The clutching.....

but if its true that resale value of MT is "that poor" & fc is "that good", might be an option.

Admire those lao Jiao taxi ah pek in those crowns.

Understand that Korean cars have crap scrap values. hence only get by 50% of ARF and that's it. How is it like for Jap manual cars end of 10 years & scrap ? For example, Say if Vios 50% ARF is $7500, how much will that owner get for the body? 1500? And if the same car was an auto, the body will be 2500?

Trying to reverse calculate. Always hear people saying that don't buy MT coz when selling no value. If its true, shoudnt the buyer from the other side of the table benefit ?

Could be last time those corolla and sunny really built to last. Even today you can still find some of these cars running on the road. The other day i saw one 2000 corolla with a plate QEQ somemore!

I was actually thinking about 08/09 MT models for - City, Advante, GLX

But wife only have class 3A..... Other thing is that I avoid highways on weekdays due to erp. eg, from town head towards potong pasir direction via Serangoon road. The clutching.....

but if its true that resale value of MT is "that poor" & fc is "that good", might be an option.

Admire those lao Jiao taxi ah pek in those crowns.

Understand that Korean cars have crap scrap values. hence only get by 50% of ARF and that's it. How is it like for Jap manual cars end of 10 years & scrap ? For example, Say if Vios 50% ARF is $7500, how much will that owner get for the body? 1500? And if the same car was an auto, the body will be 2500?

Trying to reverse calculate. Always hear people saying that don't buy MT coz when selling no value. If its true, shoudnt the buyer from the other side of the table benefit ?

No value? Whenever I see a Focus 1.6M on sale, it'll be snatched up within a week. Can't even have a chance to go down to take a peek. That's how popular it is. I have seen a first generation focus 1.6M on sale, left 1 year COE, also kena snatched up.

There's a trick to drive manual in grid-locked traffic without much clutching and de-clutching. Don't listen to all the bulls about how tiring is your left legs.....

Neutral Newbie

And I don't smoke in my car/home (neither at corridor, my is door to door unit), period. And yes, my elder kid has sensitive URT. So even at home, same rules apply before I get into the bedroom when air con is turned on. With non air con environment, I take 15mins cool down after smoking before getting near my kids. Rinse mouth, gargle... etc

agree..even with COE at 14k, we are paying for other costs like, OMV and GST on top of the actual Car price from dealer. This is really overpaid.

No value? Whenever I see a Focus 1.6M on sale, it'll be snatched up within a week. Can't even have a chance to go down to take a peek. That's how popular it is. I have seen a first generation focus 1.6M on sale, left 1 year COE, also kena snatched up.

There's a trick to drive manual in grid-locked traffic without much clutching and de-clutching. Don't listen to all the bulls about how tiring is your left legs.....

What trick?

What trick?

Step on the throttle gently and maintain it; release the clutch gradually until fully up, crawl crawl crawl..... no sweat, no jerk.

Everyday, I go up / come down from MSCP 6 decks high using first gear - no clutching and no brake needed unless there's obstructions ahead.

Just need to use (i) correct gear (ii) correct throttle control.

Edited by Kangadrool

Step on the throttle gently and maintain it; release the clutch gradually until fully up, crawl crawl crawl..... no sweat, no jerk.

Everyday, I go up / come down from MSCP 6 decks high using first gear - no clutching and no brake needed unless there's obstructions ahead.

Just need to use (i) correct gear (ii) correct throttle control.

I will try & psycho wife tonight haha. This MT/AT was once a hot button issue. lol

maybe next time I dump the car at workshop for a major repair or watnot, I rent a manual for a date & practice crawling.....& creeping with the fully clutch no throt/gentle throt technique.....

Will sell the idea to wife that the only way to stay on the road with a half decent car will be an renewed OPC with MT......hehehe....

btw, can share what car u driving?

Edited by Baal
↡ Advertisement