Seeking advice - Hit and run by cab driver

Xefera

Just my luck to be a victim of a hit-and-run incident today.

Luckily my in-car dvr captured the errant driver but not able to make out the license plate clearly.

Damage is mainly the right side mirror but I have yet to check the car body for scratches.

Thoughts

1) will I be in the wrong if I were to settle this privately with the errant driver?

2) will I be penalised by the insurance company for failing to report the incident?

3) do I need to make a police report (don't think the driver can counter claim me as he is clearly in the wrong as shown in video)

Appreciate advice from forum bros and comments please.

Will make a decision in a few days as to what course of action to take.

↡ Advertisement

Best way is to:

1. Take pictures immediately of the cars. For supporting documents during reporting.

2. Get a witness around to support your statement. Get their name, ic and contact.

3. Get the other driver contact details, plate number etc. Carry plate number is enough if the driver refuses to corporate.

4. Proceed to claim his insurance. During the reporting process, the will ask you to draw and explain the situation. Just draw what happened and include the witness details.

5. Proceed to make repairs.

6. Sit back and let the insurance company handle everything. After all, you pay for their services every year.

Do not cheat or claim more that you should. Imagine if you are on the other end.

Edited by Remierwan

Best way is to:

1. Take pictures immediately of the cars. For supporting documents during reporting.

2. Get a witness around to support your statement. Get their name, ic and contact.

3. Get the other driver contact details, plate number etc. Carry plate number is enough if the driver refuses to corporate.

4. Proceed to claim his insurance. During the reporting process, the will ask you to draw and explain the situation. Just draw what happened and include the witness details.

5. Proceed to make repairs.

6. Sit back and let the insurance company handle everything. After all, you pay for their services every year.

Do not cheat or claim more that you should. Imagine if you are on the other end.

Did you even read ?? Your answer machiam copy from 10yr series. Its HIT & RUN lah, bruddeeeeerrrrrrr ....

Luckily my in-car dvr captured the errant driver but not able to make out the license plate clearly.

Damage is mainly the right side mirror but I have yet to check the car body for scratches.

Thoughts

1) will I be in the wrong if I were to settle this privately with the errant driver?

2) will I be penalised by the insurance company for failing to report the incident?

3) do I need to make a police report (don't think the driver can counter claim me as he is clearly in the wrong as shown in video)

1. No

2. Contentious. Driver supposed to report ANY accident.

3. No one injured, don't think they care.

but cannot make out VRN how to claim ?

if body no damage and cannot get hold of cabbie, maybe can consider "swah" loh .... no point reporting such small incident. Just treat as bad luck.

1. No. You can settle privately just let the insurance know.

2. Yes. If they found out.

3. Yes. Hit and run is a serious offense.

In car DVR can be one of the evidence. You can also take photos of the cab since you seem to know who it is. Take photos of your car too.

• Praise 1

Did you even read ?? Your answer machiam copy from 10yr series. Its HIT & RUN lah, bruddeeeeerrrrrrr ....

1. No

2. Contentious. Driver supposed to report ANY accident.

3. No one injured, don't think they care.

but cannot make out VRN how to claim ?

if body no damage and cannot get hold of cabbie, maybe can consider "swah" loh .... no point reporting such small incident. Just treat as bad luck.

Sorry, my bad. The effects of reading MCF wee early in the morning through the phone.

Agree on your point.

i heard there could be issues if they other party does not report the incident to his insurance and will not be able to do a 3rd party claim.

Since its a hit and run, i guess it would be best to also make a police report and proceed to report own insurance and do a 3rd party claim on the taxi driver.

Hit and run means the taxi driver didn't even want to settle privately.

Yup, hit and run should report to TP. Provide them the exact time and location, perhaps TP can work with cab company to track the cab at the exact time and location, could be a few cabs but if only one from the company, then can be easily identified.

About Your Questions:

1) will I be in the wrong if I were to settle this privately with the errant driver ?

If no one injury and damage of any government or private property, is nothing wrong among parties in private settlement.

2) will I be penalised by the insurance company for failing to report the incident ?

Car Insurance Companies will only take legal action against cheats in their claiming, car insurance companies will contest for "no liability" with any violation in car accident rules and regulations.

If you feel better and safer to make police report to verify counter claims against you later in this car accident, you must state clearly in the police reporting statement with your "Private Settlement" and "Not Claiming Insurance" important remarks.

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 2

Thoughts

Tell u what happened to me.. almost similar case as yours. Got DVR but cant make out licence plate. Made police report and report to insurance coy within 24hrs. Insurance co took pictures andws went ahead with repairs.

1 yr later I changed car. My NCD kena affected from 50% become 30%. if i buy insurance from other insurance company. my insurer will still give me 50% cos i bought the NCD protector insurance.

I checked with insurance company, confirmed no claim, but they put it as open case for a a few years (i think 7).

So report or not.. u lose...

Tell u what happened to me.. almost similar case as yours. Got DVR but cant make out licence plate. Made police report and report to insurance coy within 24hrs. Insurance co took pictures andws went ahead with repairs.

1 yr later I changed car. My NCD kena affected from 50% become 30%. if i buy insurance from other insurance company. my insurer will still give me 50% cos i bought the NCD protector insurance.

I checked with insurance company, confirmed no claim, but they put it as open case for a a few years (i think 7).

So report or not.. u lose...

did you make third party claim? or claim your own insurance?