Better than Jack Neo. 4/6 Wins!

StefanK

Better than Jack Neo and Eric Khoo put together.

Ilo Ilo bags 4 awards out of 6 nominations at the 50th Golden Horse Awards.

Singapore is finally on the global map of movie making!

↡ Advertisement

Overhyped, overrated, herd mentality.

Just like how a group of wine judges praise some vintages one after another.

They need to give each other some face....

I bet even the Director himself is totally shocked that his mediocre film can win so many awards.

偷笑

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

yup ... overhyped ... just like this taiwanese movie 海角七號 clinched 6 awards in 2008 golden horse ...

and this movie is way better than ilo ilo

nonetheless, good result for spore director [thumbsup]

i think the cannes had help alot especially the "herd mentality" :D

1214900353.jpg

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Cant believe this movie can win 4 awards which included the big award best feature film!!! Honestly i have not watch this movie at all.

Dont know whether this is just sheer luck or really that good? Hopefully this would not be the first and last glory for spore movie in golden horse award.

Edited by 13177

Wow... saw the trailer. About a maid who became close to a boy during the 97 financial crisis. Maybe will go and watch [sunny]

Better than Jack Neo and Eric Khoo put together.

Ilo Ilo bags 4 awards out of 6 nominations at the 50th Golden Horse Awards.

Singapore is finally on the global map of movie making!

Funny thing is, most locals have not even heard or watch this movie before....

Despite the awards, bottomline is, will it make money?

This movie has not show in taiwan cinema yet. But after clinching so many awards, confirmed the people in taiwan will go in and watch, whether the movie nice or not.

Dunno but when i watched few weeks back the theatre was quite empty

The director saving less than 1k, so the shooting 95% took place in hdb, void deck and neighbourhood area. Maybe the house used is the director house.

Never seen such a simple movie with super low budget(maybe i canmake a few)

Most funny part, the director said that its hard to get the idea and write the story, it took me 2 years to complete it. I was laughing till i fell from my chair. I bet other directors at scene also laugh like siao in their mind. Creating such movie took 2 years? What the....

Overall movie cannot say bad also cannot say good, it has some good education when u watch.

When u watch, just relax. Don't expect too high. Don't think its not good then don't watch, pls support local movie industry :D

Cant believe this movie can win 4 awards which included the big award best feature film!!! Honestly i have not watch this movie at all.

Dont know whether this is just sheer luck or really that good? Hopefully this would not be the first and last glory for spore movie in golden horse award.

maybe is the trend of what type movie are the in-thing, can't say sheer luck if it already won awards in different places include Cannes.

yup ... overhyped ... just like this taiwanese movie 海角七號 clinched 6 awards in 2008 golden horse ...

and this movie is way better than ilo ilo

nonetheless, good result for spore director [thumbsup]

i think the cannes had help alot especially the "herd mentality" :D

1214900353.jpg

I like 海角七號, it has a very different story and original.

ilo ilo was not so popular here which not many porpl bother to watch cos the story happen around everyday.

how the panel judge the result is different from us one la

ultimately its the box office that counts to many

but some will say its art..

maybe pple like me not artistic to appreciate

but only movies to Kung Fu or Apple of my eye, thats sit still for record box office

i also dunn whats so special about the story...maybe the setting and story are FRESH to the foreigners...LOL

and also, quite a few winners of golden horse also went MIA after...its like never appear or get famous again.

wheres the young girl who acted in jack neo, won the best young child actress right? MIA liao?

Jack Neo movie's are all the same. Watch one watched all.

Eric Khoo's better. More worthwhile watching but still not international award level yet lah.

Jack Neo movie's are all the same. Watch one watched all.

Eric Khoo's better. More worthwhile watching but still not international award level yet lah.

Golden Horse Award winning films who here actually go watch??

I remembered 2 years ago this film about taiwan aborigines kenna killed by Japanese conquerors won the best feature film, but then nowhere was it shown in Singapore cinema. I dig high and low also don't have, no choice download from bukit timah lor. Superb show. Beats ilo ilo 100 times.

http://youtu.be/53QsTkZMV1A

• Praise 1

Philipines and Taiwan not on the best terms,

Thus a Singapore film(neutral party) featuring the lives of maid and the host, will soften the social animosity if the show touches the heart of Taiwanese.

So the theme of the show allows the judges to see the other side.

Edited by Atonchia

Local directors' productions, I think Eric Khoo and Royston Tan are pretty good. Though because they make quite artsy and thought-provoking stuff that shows sides of singapore life that the establishment frowns upon, so their movies are not so known to the masses. Watch "12 Storeys", "Be With Me", or "15"... old movies now and reminders of angsty younger days.

Ilo Ilo tries to use the serious, hard-life story formula similar to these movies so similarly, for this reason, it won't appeal to the masses of movie-goers who are mostly out for actions, thrillers, etc.

I think the average singaporean movie-goer doesn't spend so much time thinking about life's issues, maid issues, and all that. Many families have a maid but I doubt, in real life, they know much about, nor are they interested to know about, their maid's difficulties, etc. Or even notice that their maid is closer to their children! Or even if they do, they'd hardly be bothered [laugh]

Bottomline is, people go to movies to be transported to a fantasy world or superheroes, to escape the reality of their daily grind... Few will watch a movie that reminds them of their daily lives in singapore!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2