Hydrogen cars could be headed to showroom near you

Darthrevan

27 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

All it takes is a serious accident to become another "Hindenburg".

Remember they touted so safe about the CNG buses? One by one went into flurry flames.

Most of our cars carry petrol onboard isnt exactly safe too. It's so volatile. There are also instances where cars catch fire in accidents.

So what is "safe"? Bicycle? LoL...

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

All it takes is a serious accident to become another "Hindenburg".

Remember they touted so safe about the CNG buses? One by one went into flurry flames.

No diff from CNG

(edited)
6 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Most of our cars carry petrol onboard isnt exactly safe too. It's so volatile. There are also instances where cars catch fire in accidents.

So what is "safe"? Bicycle? LoL...

Agree. Same same, but different.

The way they burn and sexplode are different. Petrol banged if ignited tio huay sio... You still got some time to run road.

Hydrogen tio banged sexplode like a hydrogen bomb. You become ashes. RadX come with an urn to collect ashes, not bodies.

😁

That's why airplane use tor yew tao instead of hydrogen now.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Haha! 2

On 5/20/2020 at 2:32 PM, inlinesix said:

No diff from CNG

Er ....... actually big different lor.  It is actually quite hard to ignite CNG lor.  There is no known explosion that people got seriously hurt lor, like that Red Taxi, burn and burn before exploded.  Driver got time run until cannot run liao.

Hydrogen is different, it will really really explode immediately one.  

We should ASK LTA to enact Hydrogen Cars BE CLEARLY MARKED with a Big X on ALL Sides and Top side too.  Big Red Reflective Red, Best Glow in the Dark one....

• Haha! 1

People's perception is that hydrogen is dangerous and gives it a bad rap. Everyone quotes Hindenburg. 

But is this perception due for a change? Is hydrogen really so dangerous and so explosive like what some are saying here? Why not do some research before continuing to believe something that is no longer true?

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

People's perception is that hydrogen is dangerous and gives it a bad rap. Everyone quotes Hindenburg. 

But is this perception due for a change? Is hydrogen really so dangerous and so explosive like what some are saying here? Why not do some research before continuing to believe something that is no longer true?

Have laa ....... 

Supersonic
5 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I agree and the more people air the same tired clichés, the more of an excuse it'll give the gahmen to tax these cars even more ("hazard tax" or some such crap).

• Praise 3

Twincharged

I would say no to suggestions for importing whatever new tech or incur extra cost.  New tech cost money, the coffers are already being bled with covid19. 
Won’t be surprised if whatever major infrastructure projects will be delayed. T5, cross island line, jurong regional line, north south corridor line to cut down on expense. 

14 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Where in the video says FCEV will really really explode? 

Don't even need to go there lor.  This one also enough loh.

See the need for a HYDROGEN PLANT wor, we have a lot of electricity no one want to buy lor.

Anyway, secondary school also got teach ma, hydrogen will pop one de.

A difficult technology lor.  My preference is Diesel over electricity over bus 11.

On 5/22/2020 at 7:30 PM, Apple-Tree said:

Er ....... actually big different lor.  It is actually quite hard to ignite CNG lor.  There is no known explosion that people got seriously hurt lor, like that Red Taxi, burn and burn before exploded.  Driver got time run until cannot run liao.

Hydrogen is different, it will really really explode immediately one.  

We should ASK LTA to enact Hydrogen Cars BE CLEARLY MARKED with a Big X on ALL Sides and Top side too.  Big Red Reflective Red, Best Glow in the Dark one....

18 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Don't even need to go there lor.  This one also enough loh.

See the need for a HYDROGEN PLANT wor, we have a lot of electricity no one want to buy lor.

Anyway, secondary school also got teach ma, hydrogen will pop one de.

A difficult technology lor.  My preference is Diesel over electricity over bus 11.

Yes you seem to know that hydrogen will go "pop" in a test tube. So you extrapolate and say that hydrogen used in a car will really really explode?? A mobile bomb that you seem to suggest?

If it was petrol vapour in the same test tube, do you think it will go "pop" too? Or a "bang"?

I don't think the discussion was about the viability of Hydrogen as a fuel, but whilst you are at it, you might know that the black (or brown/red/yellow/green) liquid that is extracted from an oilwell is not 92/95/98 Ron petrol and low-sulphur diesel. That liquid needs to be processed in an energy-guzzling, gigantic oil processing plant, then ferried thousands of kilometres before it reaches your neighbourhood petrol station in the form that you can recognise and use in your car.

Having a plant in-situ at a fuel station, to produce Hydrogen via electrolysis (splitting water using electricity) sounds like such a far simpler, straightforward and uncomplicated idea, doesn't it? 

Of course the bigger debate is about Hydrogen vs Battery that even the experts have problem coming up with the numbers, much less you and me.

2 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Yes you seem to know that hydrogen will go "pop" in a test tube. So you extrapolate and say that hydrogen used in a car will really really explode?? A mobile bomb that you seem to suggest?

If it was petrol vapour in the same test tube, do you think it will go "pop" too? Or a "bang"?

I don't think the discussion was about the viability of Hydrogen as a fuel, but whilst you are at it, you might know that the black (or brown/red/yellow/green) liquid that is extracted from an oilwell is not 92/95/98 Ron petrol and low-sulphur diesel. That liquid needs to be processed in an energy-guzzling, gigantic oil processing plant, then ferried thousands of kilometres before it reaches your neighbourhood petrol station in the form that you can recognise and use in your car.

Having a plant in-situ at a fuel station, to produce Hydrogen via electrolysis (splitting water using electricity) sounds like such a far simpler, straightforward and uncomplicated idea, doesn't it? 

Of course the bigger debate is about Hydrogen vs Battery that even the experts have problem coming up with the numbers, much less you and me.

Er ....... you go National Oxygen and buy a small bottle of Hydrogen and put in your existing car lor.  

Probably you mind always worry lor ...... or  izzit.

Still Hydrogen is pretty volatile lor, infra ex, if so good, people would have use until cannot use lor.

Almost ZERO chance to do here.  Not sure about other country lor.

5 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Er ....... you go National Oxygen and buy a small bottle of Hydrogen and put in your existing car lor.  

Probably you mind always worry lor ...... or  izzit.

Still Hydrogen is pretty volatile lor, infra ex, if so good, people would have use until cannot use lor.

Almost ZERO chance to do here.  Not sure about other country lor.

Ok fine fine. You win. Cant beat you with your brand of logic and reasoning. Hydrogen in FCEV will really really explode. Hydrogen is an stupid idea. Long live diesel! 

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Ok fine fine. You win. Cant beat you with your brand of logic and reasoning. Hydrogen in FCEV will really really explode. Hydrogen is an stupid idea. Long live diesel! 

Aiya, don't like that laaa ......

I choose Diesel to break free lor, Petrol, you see, struggling forum-ers trying to find COUPONS, these oil companies are playing and playing lor.

Diesel, got a lot of budget, no frill retailers lor, cheaper, not collect this point or pump $80 to get discount......blaf blaf blaf lor.

Electric is good, but too expensive for me, buy plug-in with even out of this world features, I can just charge it with a 3 pin plug lor.  Very very slow charging......

With Hydrogen, it is going to be like petrol market lor, that 1 and only 1 retail asking for out of this world pricing lor.

That electric charger is charging about 40cts PER kWh ah ?? Hear from somewhere..... Is really good money lor.....

Therefore, very low chance I buy a Hydrogen Car lor.....

5 hours ago, Hons said:

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-power-electric-cars.html

h2 fcev will eventually be the future.

Yeah! I think so too! But some people here keep referring to Hindenburg and H2 explosion! 🤷‍♂️

I believe BEV is the interim technology and a stop-gap solution. I am not sure if investing in a BEV charging infrastructure is the right thing to do. I think SG somehow knows this and thus is not "charging" into it.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

This might be the way forward, produce green ammonia, transport it as a liquid to your destination, extract H2 from it via dehydrogenation, and you have an endlessly renewable source of energy that is also environmentally sound.

If this becomes viable, and SG invests in a H2 vehicle refuelling infrastructure, and more affordable FCEV vehicles are available, this will sound the death knell of BEVs.

No more environmentally harmful batteries and range anxiety and sitting around waiting for the car to juice up!

image.thumb.png.4844e1fa1373eb83b9464f443e4eaec8.png

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3