Malaysia: Drive and Eat Melaka by the Bear

The_Bear

Turbocharged

So any road trips up North coming up? I'm not interested in the eating, just the drive up. :D

Took us 5 years to procastinate. I estimate the next one coming around 2019. 😂😂

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

So any road trips up North coming up? I'm not interested in the eating, just the drive up. :D

Most will only smell the smoke of your car up north.....

Took us 5 years to procastinate. I estimate the next one coming around 2019. 😂😂

Damn that's a long time to wait.

Most will only smell the smoke of your car up north.....

Sure got lotsa awesome cars from other MCF peeps, I remember last Melaka drive people were going pretty fast. But at any rate I'm a good boy and will follow convoy with just a few breaks to clear carbon. Cannot do that in sg lah. :D

• Praise 1

The number 5, chicken rice ball taste so so, not worth queuing

Number 2 bei zhan worth for value. Get to eat abalone, shark fin and suckling pig at much cheaper price than sg and taste very good. Highly recommended

• Praise 1

Please try and give your feedback here. I missed out Newton foodcourt which is both cheap and good with a variet of food.

Sure. Will be there during Good Friday.

Will be driving (family of 6) to Malacca to eat on this Saturday, after a one night stay at A'Farmosa on Friday.

Don't want to be caught in bad traffic jam on the way to lunch, it's been more than 10years since I visit Malacca, the last trip was on my Harley with a bunch of MY HOG members leading the way.

So where is the best place to park the car and eat ? I heard MY is also having school holiday at the same time [smallcry]

Thought of having Chicken Rice Ball @ Chung Wah but worried about available parking lots and long "Q".

Maybe will go to The Baboon House which is located along "Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock" so how is the traffic around that area, any where I can park and within walking distance?

On the way back, maybe tarpow Baba Charlie Nyonya Cakes [thumbsup]

Edited by Vtim

Will be driving (family of 6) to Malacca to eat on this Saturday, after a one night stay at A'Farmosa on Friday.

Don't want to be caught in bad traffic jam on the way to lunch, it's been more than 10years since I visit Malacca, the last trip was on my Harley with a bunch of MY HOG members leading the way.

So where is the best place to park the car and eat ? I heard MY is also having school holiday at the same time [smallcry]

Thought of having Chicken Rice Ball @ Chung Wah but worried about available parking lots and long "Q".

Maybe will go to The Baboon House which is located along "Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock" so how is the traffic around that area, any where I can park and within walking distance?

Malacca is different now.

Traffic is bad on weekends for sure.

Best is go about the area on foot.

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 10

You can use google street view to see the area u gona visit and search the area for parking. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Will you be staying in Malacca? saturday is definitely bad for parking, but if you can find parking either in Mahkota Parade or Dataran Pahlawan where both have more parking lots. you can then take a slow relaxing 10min walk to Jonker street (The Baboon hse), the walk path from behind of Dataran Pahlawan to Jonker is quite shaded with trees and no car until you reach the round about.

There is a big open space car space diagonally opposite Hotel Casa Del Rio. It is just behind Jonker Street. From there, just walk.

Use WAZE. You definitely can find Hotel Casa Del Rio.

• Praise 1

There is a big open space car space diagonally opposite Hotel Casa Del Rio. It is just behind Jonker Street. From there, just walk.

You have to pay car parking there don't you??? Still good.

If you dare then park in the car park of Ba Ba House. No one checks if you stay at Ba Ba House.

As for Bavarian's food list which he was very good to put up, we go up to Malacca 2 or 3 times a year because I really like walking around the Jonkers surrounding area and talking to shop keepers.

For us the quality and taste of the food in Malacca has gone down over the years as the tourist numbers increase.

The Teochew restaurant we've nearly tried twice but the old man is too grumpy and for us the food not too appetizing.

Bai Zan is very nice inside but again the food is not so good and maybe next time we won't go there. The Lamb shoulder though is very very good.

Nancy's tried a few times, the only Peranakan which serves pork, but we'd rather the Peranakan in Tan Cheng Lock opposite Kocik Kitchen which is not bad either.

Lee's Crab House or whatever isn't to our liking, too pricy.

Harper's used to be very good for Western food and wine but its now closed.

What was The Taragon Restaurant was the best for local and Western food for us in Malacca but it's closed last time we were there but another restaurant will take its place and we hope that will be up to scratch.

Although we haven't eaten there the stalls at the top end of Jonkers even further up than the stage has what looks like some good food, much better than the Newton food court.

We queued for the Chicken Rice balls once but never again, we always smile when we see the queue in the hot sun these days.

But overall just like Singapore the food quality and taste in Malacca has gone way down.

Still won't stop us going there though.

Am driving up to Meleka this week and experience the big squeeze during the school hols period. Staying at hatten.

friend recommended Amy Heritage Nonya cuisine, beside Mahkota hotel.

Will also try out

1. Teo Soon Loong Chan (Bear Rating: 4.721/5)

My favorite in Melaka since 1997. Small family run restaurant. Make sure you make your reservation and be on time. Must try Oyster Noodles, Oh-Nee. Roast Pig must be ordered in-advanced. They sell their chilli at RM7 per box. Our Ex-PM Mr. Goh was there when he visited Melaka. J Don’t forget to say “Hello” to Uncle Tan. If he is in a good mood, he will introduce to you the daily specials beside the open freezer.
http://www.tslcmalaysia.com/teochew_main.htm

Update: Jan 2015. They are shifting to a new place near Restaurant New Lagoon. Will open on 1st March 2015.

2. Restoran Bei Zhan (Bear Rating 4.1255/5)

Tucked in the corner of Jln Kota Laksamana. This restaurant is a gem of simple culinary excellence. Nice food & service at reasonable price. The house fried kuey teow is delicious. Tried the Assam Fish Head.

3A. Teo Chew Bak Kut Teh. Jalan Melaka Raya 4, Opposite IRIS Hotel (The address Melaka Raya 20 on Trip advisor is wrong) Rating 4.05/5

I stayed at Hatten and was too lazy to drive over to Lim Kee in the morning. So followed Trip advisor's lead and checked out the "best" BKT in Melaka. A 10 minutes walk from Hatten. The BKT's herbal taste is lighter than Lim Kee but still the black type. The pig throttles were excellent to go with the yam rice. Perfect comfort food at 8am in Melaka. Why can't we have the same BKT in SGP?

6. Popiah - In front of Mdm King's emporium (Bring plenty of tissue) (Bear Rating 4.0007/5)
http://food.malaysiamostwanted.com/venues/...alan-bunga-raya

7. Fried Oyster - Near Mdm King (Alley along the same road) (Bear Rating: Haven’t tried, no enough stomach)
http://www.tourism-melaka.com/BungaRaya.html

Try this chendol while you are there... Have to drive north a bit in melaka. To get there, you just need to travel for about 15 mins West along Jalan Klebang Besar and take the Bukit Rambai (there’s only one roadsign) turnoff. Keep travelling along this road (Jalan Batang Tiga) till you see the stall on the right. She only opens on weekends! It is worth the drive. Cendol doesn’t get more artisanal than this!

It's called Aunty Koh Cendol

No. 5113, Jalan Batang Tiga,
Kampung Bukit Rambai,
75250, Melaka.
Open Sat and Sun from 12pm to 1pm (Best get there before 12pm)

Coordinates: 2.246583, 102.191867

• Praise 2

Try this chendol while you are there... Have to drive north a bit in melaka. To get there, you just need to travel for about 15 mins West along Jalan Klebang Besar and take the Bukit Rambai (there’s only one roadsign) turnoff. Keep travelling along this road (Jalan Batang Tiga) till you see the stall on the right. She only opens on weekends! It is worth the drive. Cendol doesn’t get more artisanal than this!

It's called Aunty Koh Cendol

No. 5113, Jalan Batang Tiga,

Kampung Bukit Rambai,

75250, Melaka.

Open Sat and Sun from 12pm to 1pm (Best get there before 12pm)

Coordinates: 2.246583, 102.191867

This place is full of Singaporean. Local don't even know about this place.

Prepare to q from 11:30. Otherwise, wait long long.

Malacca is different now.

Traffic is bad on weekends for sure.

Best is go about the area on foot.

I avoid the crowds at Jonker when discovered this big coffee shop. Daytime, has a few stalls operating inside but comes evening, all stalls (including those that are closed in the day) moved to open-air carpark outside. Many dishes, eg., cuttlefish kangkong, Assam laksa, popiah, intestine satay, etc......

Free parking. Beware of the high kerb when parking.

post-109106-0-87688800-1426575111_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

If you like Assam Pedas just to the RHS of Tamedriver's map you will see one Assam Pedas Restaurant.

IIRC corectly there are another two in that street.

And if you like curry then again on the RHS of the map the Pak Putra tandoori and Nann is very good.

You can use google street view to see the area u gona visit and search the area for parking. [thumbsup]

Well, I did that but worried that on Saturday afternoon and also school holidays on both side, parking may be a problem [sweatdrop]

Will you be staying in Malacca? saturday is definitely bad for parking, but if you can find parking either in Mahkota Parade or Dataran Pahlawan where both have more parking lots. you can then take a slow relaxing 10min walk to Jonker street (The Baboon hse), the walk path from behind of Dataran Pahlawan to Jonker is quite shaded with trees and no car until you reach the round about.

Not staying in Malacca, just lunch than head home. I know Mahkota Parade has a big open carpark so maybe this is a good idea, will check with wife first. [thumbsup]

Thanks for the apps, will download and use it if going there [thumbsup]

Thanks for the apps, will download and use it if going there [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement