Home-stay for holiday instead of Hotel? (AIRBNB)

BabyBlade

with the number of tikos in MCF alone. u sure u want to do so? [sweatdrop]

yeah CCTVs are the least of your worries. I would in fact feel safer in a hostel.

↡ Advertisement

hahahaha!!

I suppose you will need extra help for housekeeping when you have visitors right! I don't mind helping out!

Great! I'll hire you.

[thumbsup]

Didn't know Singapore has people using airbnb.com.sg as well. Thought the locals would find it a taboo to rent out their rooms to unknowns. Saw many nice units from the Orchard area though. :wub: going to Japan soon and scouting around for options. might try out airbnb but heard there are bad encounters with the hosts. anyone has any bad experience before?

choosing BNB must look out for those with high review.

i was looking thru the BNB (whole unit) in tokyo area. very cheap and spacious.. compare to the tiny 19 to 25sqm for most hotels.

1 thing bad for BNB (whole unit) is the check-in and check-out time.

Not allow to store your luggage if you arrive early (example 6-7am) and not allow to store luggage on the last day if your flight is at 10pm or 11pm.

Internal Moderator

choosing BNB must look out for those with high review.

i was looking thru the BNB (whole unit) in tokyo area. very cheap and spacious.. compare to the tiny 19 to 25sqm for most hotels.

1 thing bad for BNB (whole unit) is the check-in and check-out time.

Not allow to store your luggage if you arrive early (example 6-7am) and not allow to store luggage on the last day if your flight is at 10pm or 11pm.

I made a booking for airbnb for my trip in April to Australia. Contacted the hosts to ask for an extension about 2 days ago, and till now no response. [sweatdrop]

Btw, I think flexibility of check in, check out time depends widely on your hosts. Just gotta come to an agreement with them prior to booking.

i recently booked a unit with a host in ximending,taipei via airbnb.com but she in turn came back and said her building management didnt allow her to rent out the unit and has communicated with me undertable to bypass airbnb.

arrangement was to have my family over as guests and we can pay her any amount..

just would like to check if anyone has stayed with cam.ryn tang or nan.cy tang before? if yes, can you pm me? i have some questions to ask...

Didn't know Singapore has people using airbnb.com.sg as well. Thought the locals would find it a taboo to rent out their rooms to unknowns. Saw many nice units from the Orchard area though. :wub: going to Japan soon and scouting around for options. might try out airbnb but heard there are bad encounters with the hosts. anyone has any bad experience before?

It is actually illegal for S'pore owners to lease out property (room or otherwise) for less than 6months. Was quite surprise they actually advertised in Air bnb...

Booked a Villa in Bali recently. It was not bad... Another one in Taiwan later this year.

Edited by Karu

It's illegal in most parts of the world.

It is actually illegal for S'pore owners to lease out property (room or otherwise) for less than 6months. Was quite surprise they actually advertised in Air bnb...

Booked a Villa in Bali recently. It was not bad... Another one in Taiwan later this year.

It's illegal in most parts of the world.

Maybe illegal but guess the authorities were 'flexible'. The villa I went to was legal, at least according to what the owner told me. You have to fulfill certain criteria like employing a local housekeeper.

Think for Taiwan, you also need condition to qualify as a Min Su.

If I'm not mistaken this was brought up during a recent parliamentary session. quite a few owners were caught last year. The last time I went to AirBnB, some were HDBs. If they really wanna clamp down, it's really easy... Just go to Airbnb & pose as a customer.

Edited by Karu

Interesting .... you never know?

We did it once when we were on a campervan trip in New Zealand for 2 months. We reached our home-stay with a family that owns a farm and orchard. We intended to stay for 2 days but ended up staying for 4 days.

During our stay we got to know our host family very well, they brought us out fishing, cattle herding, milking the cow (not easy) and apricots to eat. We had a great time. In the end, the host family refused to collect money from us despite our plea that it was not right.

Later many years later, they visited Singapore and it was only right that we let them stay in our place and brought them around.

My personal impression, New Zealanders are among the nicest people on earth in my books.

But that said, for every good experience, there are equal number (more or less) disaster experience.

My personal take is:

1. don't expect much

2. just because you pay does not mean you can abuse your host and his property (mindful to ask if they got pets especially if you are allergic)

3. respect your host and his family and they in turn will respect you

4. be mindful of culture

5. always bring a small gift, it is a nice gesture

6. treat others the way you want others to treat you

Have a good holiday and wishing you the best of experience

PS: I believe the experience is worth the effort at least once in your lifetime than just always staying in a hotel only

• Praise 2

I think can choose if you wish to stay with the owners or not. There is an option at the side whether you want to rent the entire house, room only or etc. If you choose renting the entire house then you have the whole house to yourself.

I have read good reviews by bloggers staying in taiwan, korea and europe. I think quite convenient too since most got washing machine and basic cooking faciliities.

I think should avoid some countries like Malaysia. Even a normal house would result in break in, not to mention a rented house.

Tried Air Bnb for the first time over 2 months in Europe.. 3-4ppl, rented whole apartment all the time.

1 month in Berlin, apartment was in a really good location, cheap price, but not very clean. Friendly host.

Stuggart- Very good location, clean, never even saw the host!

Amsterdam- Godlike location, super clean, super friendly host, super cheap (we went for a place with no reviews- blind faith.. Host said he priced it cheap as we were first... gamble paid off as by the time we left he had back to back bookings for weeks on an end.)

Paris- Nice, clean, very importantly, safe. Great host.

Salzburg- Badass location again.

Airbnb all about the reviews, location and price from my experience.. Most of the time, review say good, means good. Some quirks here and there, no big deal de.

• Praise 2

will be booking my coming trip to HK with one the them. Contacted the manager for the unit...sound friendly enough....

My friend's family stayed in 2 bed room apartment in airbnb. So far no problem.

If you dun want to stay in homoe stay you can considered L'HOtel Nina in Tsuen wan. Their hotel room very big and has 2 queen beds, big bathroom with big bathtub.

• Praise 1

hell and havoc caused by short term stay (ie: AirBnB)

it's also happening in singaporeand hopefully not out of control [sweatdrop]

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/money/companies/high-rise-residents-fight-sharing-economy-over-reports-of-pop-up-brothels-all-night-parties/ar-AAgroT0?li=AAaGkVj

if someone rent an apartment via AirBnB for drug party and orgy and chicken farm ...

who will kena from law enforcement - AirBnB or the house owner?

Over the past couple of years there has been an explosion of apartments being let out for short-term stays in Melbourne's inner city and neighbouring Docklands district.

Some residents have told 7.30 that the existence of short-stay apartments has ruined their experience of living in the area, with one resident revealing that he was selling his apartment after "two years of hell" sandwiched by two apartments that were being let out for short stays.

Another, who did not wish to be named, said she had a man knock on her door looking for a "massage" when an apartment down the hall was hired by three sex workers for the weekend.

"At least 40 per cent of the apartments are investor-owned in many of the blocks," RMIT Professor of environment and planning, Michael Buxton, said.

Edited by Wt_know

My family with young children stayed at airbnb in Hongdae, Seoul last December.  Never met the host.  self check in and check out with password on electronic key lock.  Everything was ok thru out our stay. 

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 1

Host robbery! Be careful out there!!

Anyone knows a home with a 65" TV and owner away for the weekend?

My son looking for a remote control car also.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 1

When traveling with family, I usually use AirBnB as not easy nor cheap to get family rooms. Staying in one apartment is a great way to bond on trips as we each tend to do our own stuff when at home.

But when I take short trips with wife, we usually stay at hotels as location generally more convenient and daily make up of room is a big help  [:p]

When traveling with family, I usually use AirBnB as not easy nor cheap to get family rooms. Staying in one apartment is a great way to bond on trips as we each tend to do our own stuff when at home.

But when I take short trips with wife, we usually stay at hotels as location generally more convenient and daily make up of room is a big help  [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8