Singaporeans win big at Motor championship

Carmour

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/article.php?AID=9291

Four Singaporeans clinch overall titles of five categories at the recently concluded 2013 Asian Karting Open Championship at Kartright Speedway.

9291_p1_s_1.jpg
Held in Singapore for the first time, the 2013 Asian Karting Open Championship (AKOC) concluded on a high note at Kartright Speedway, with four Singaporean drivers clinching overall titles in five categories.

9291_p1_s_2.jpg
spacer.gif
Gabriella Teo (above) is only the second female in the history of AKOC to clinch an overall title
15-year old, Gabriella Teo, dominated the Junior category all weekend, winning both Rounds 4 and 5 to jump from third in the standings to the top.

Displaying a strong and consistent performance throughout the weekend, Gabriella Teo, started from pole and won both rounds with a commanding lead.

"I feel victorious and am proud of this achievement. I wasn't expecting to win as I knew competition would be tough, but as we progressed through the weekend I felt more confident about taking the overall title. I was quite nervous during the final of Round 5 because I know that winning that race would mean winning overall. It's a great way to wrap my first overseas racing season!"

In the Senior championship's 25-year old, Mohammad Nasri Naufal (banner picture), who has been leading the category, finished second in both rounds to take the overall title.

"I am a little disappointed that I did not win both races, as it would have been an honour to win on home ground. But finishing second is not too bad and most importantly, I'm very happy to have won the overall title. It was quite tough racing against the younger boys in my category who are fitter than me," commented Nasri who turns 25 next weekend.

The recently captured title adds to his increasing tally of racing achievements, including the 2003 AKOC Junior title, the 2006 Macau International Kart Grand Prix ROK Senior title and the 2010 Singapore Karting Championship Senior title.

Meanwhile, Yap Kheng Weng's, double win in the Masters class saw him taking the overall title as Ong Kian Leong settled with overall Veteran title.

Johnny Tan, Managing Director of the AKOC, said, "I extend my appreciation to each and every one who has been a part of the first AKOC race in Singapore. I am grateful to the Singapore Motor Sports Association and Kartright Speedway. We hope to come back again next year and hopefully more Singaporeans will come up to the other rounds of the AKOC too!"

↡ Advertisement

frankly....who cares. [lipsrsealed]

Quite a lot of people actually. Karting = motorsports = of interest in a car forum.

Plus many, many professional racing drivers started out being karting greats. So it's worth watching these youngsters.

Edited by Turboflat4

but frankly, when the SG circuit cui, I sianz liao. I'm not keen on F1.

But like to see GT500/GT300, MotoGp.

Quite a lot of people actually. Karting = motorsports = of interest in a car forum.

Plus many, many professional racing drivers started out being karting greats. So it's worth watching these youngsters.

This is a car forum not a motorsport forum mah. I bet over 90% of forummers never take part in motorsports before. To them racing is driving at high speed down NS highway. More people interested in topics of tailgating and road hogging.

but frankly, when the SG circuit cui, I sianz liao. I'm not keen on F1.

But like to see GT500/GT300, MotoGp.

Hope still got someone willing to take on the project though... Even Changi Karting Circuit got evicted... Edited by Jamomatt

This is a car forum not a motorsport forum mah. I bet over 90% of forummers never take part in motorsports before. To them racing is driving at high speed down NS highway. More people interested in topics of tailgating and road hogging.

Hope still got someone willing to take on the project though... Even Changi Karting Circuit got evicted...

ya I was a straight line hero on my cb400 & cbr929 on NSh. But no guts to try out at PG & much less SP.

No Coven support, no one dare. The largest sinky steel rim is a grim reminder.

ya I was a straight line hero on my cb400 & cbr929 on NSh. But no guts to try out at PG & much less SP.

No Coven support, no one dare. The largest sinky steel rim is a grim reminder.

back in the early 90s $20 or ringgit will get you an opprtunity to ride in Pasir Gudang....covered shoes, pants, leather jacket and a helmet are the compulsory gears. A lot of my friend went there for tracking...and will proudly display the 'OK' sticker on their helmet! Its much safer than NSH.
  • Praise 1

Hope still got someone willing to take on the project though... Even Changi Karting Circuit got evicted...

Their loss. I believe that a real car enthusiast will generally be interested in motorsports too - and the interest should extend to actually participating in track days, etc. Otherwise one is just a commuter not an enthusiast.

Of course, one can be interested in other types of "extreme" driving like offroading or very long road trips. As long as those drivers are actually getting off their butts and doing that sort of thing personally, I have respect for them and consider them worthy enthusiasts too.

Endlessly discussing tailgating and roadhogging alone does not an enthusiast make.

Speaking of the scrapped plans for the Changi Motorsports Hub, I met racing driver Yuey Tan at the launch dinner of the M6 Gran Coupe held at Sepang a few months back. Yuey is a Porsche Carrera Cup Asia driver, and has done promotional stunts like racing a GT3 against a Boeing 747. He was also very saddened about the scrapping of the plans because he was planning to invest beg in the development. All up in smoke.

Edited by Turboflat4

agree....thats why i was junked by a chicken :D

Their loss. I believe that a real car enthusiast will generally be interested in motorsports too - and the interest should extend to actually participating in track days, etc. Otherwise one is just a commuter not an enthusiast.

Of course, one can be interested in other types of "extreme" driving like offroading or very long road trips. As long as those drivers are actually getting off their butts and doing that sort of thing personally, I have respect for them and consider them worthy enthusiasts too.

Endlessly discussing tailgating and roadhogging alone does not an enthusiast make.

Speaking of the scrapped plans for the Changi Motorsports Hub, I met racing driver Yuey Tan at the launch dinner of the M6 Gran Coupe held at Sepang a few months back. Yuey is a Porsche Carrera Cup Asia driver, and has done promotional stunts like racing a GT3 against a Boeing 747. He was also very saddened about the scrapping of the plans because he was planning to invest beg in the development. All up in smoke.

Really saddened by the scrapping of plans for the track. All we can really play here is kart and gymkhanas. Thankfully we've got more stunt driving and drift schools popping up to liven up the scene a little but motorsport action in carparks are limiting due to the size. A track would really shake things up and with the way things are done in Singapore, we could probably have one of the best tracks in the region.

• Praise 1

Really saddened by the scrapping of plans for the track. All we can really play here is kart and gymkhanas. Thankfully we've got more stunt driving and drift schools popping up to liven up the scene a little but motorsport action in carparks are limiting due to the size. A track would really shake things up and with the way things are done in Singapore, we could probably have one of the best tracks in the region.

I remember even semi-pseudo motorsports events like past years' "sprints" in Kallang Leisure Drome carparks were attended by sizeable crowds who were mainly ordinary folks. This shows motorsports events do attract and entertain people therefore deserve more supports from the govt, or at least be given more space and opportunities.

The sport is not asking for as many tracks / facilities what other sports eg swimming, soccer, tennis, golf, etc etc are already having (we have many facilities for these sports scattered all over the island), but maybe just one track (like the ill-fated Changi Circuit)

In other countries, the tracks incorporate other motor-related facilities eg workshops, test track, even amusement park, etc etc and make good use of the land allocated.

At the current state of many other sports events / facilities here, one shouldnt always expect full financial returns as to achieve this we need, as a nation, first cultivate a love of sports over times. The first step has to be taken for the journey to become a nation not adverse to sports, either as participants or spectators / sponsors.

Edited by Maseratigood

agree....thats why i was junked by a chicken :D

Well, it wasn't me, I can tell you that much. Praise or junk, I'll do it loud and proud, in your face. :D

Well, it wasn't me, I can tell you that much. Praise or junk, I'll do it loud and proud, in your face. :D

off topic...that cat in your avatar sure look macho. :D

back in the early 90s $20 or ringgit will get you an opprtunity to ride in Pasir Gudang....covered shoes, pants, leather jacket and a helmet are the compulsory gears. A lot of my friend went there for tracking...and will proudly display the 'OK' sticker on their helmet! Its much safer than NSH.

oh ya, I recalled those stickers plastered at the side panel , track approved or something.

May just see a revival of the 2A/2 bikes if the car coe dun go down soon. You still riding? what bike?

oh ya, I recalled those stickers plastered at the side panel , track approved or something.

May just see a revival of the 2A/2 bikes if the car coe dun go down soon. You still riding? what bike?

no...now driving a cheap car...as long as i can ferry my family conveniently and sometime go up north for short road trip! If coe still maintains at this level i may just buy a Duke 390....now too old to take class 2. but i just may handover my car to my son and buy the Duke. Enjoyed my riding years but the missus always grumble when i say i wanna buy a bike...she knows my character too much.....hahaha. Got 1 time she cried while we wrre out riding. She was so scared that she had tears in her eyes. as i had taken a long corner at speed. My friend swore he chased after me at 130km/hr but cant catch up...to be truthful i was also scared! Edited by Eviilusion
↡ Advertisement