Top up ezlink card with smartphone

Jman888

New app turns your smartphone into a top up machine for EZ-Link cards
Published on Dec 05, 2013
By Irene Tham
Land Transport Authority-owned EZ-Link has launched an app that turns your smartphone into a mobile machine that tops up the value of your EZ-link card.
Touted to be the world's first, the My EZ-Link Mobile app automates payment by charging to a user-designated Visa and MasterCard debit or credit card. Users must first enter personal and payment details into the app before they can tap their EZ-Link card on the smartphone to top up.
The app works only on smartphones that are near field communications (NFC) enabled. NFC is a wireless transmission technology that allows mobile payment.
With this, commuters need not visit ATMs or EZ-Link machines anymore. The smartphone payment option adds to existing fuss-free Giro and automatic stored-value reload options tied to the POSB ATM card and most credit cards.

this will be good and convenience for those who travel by bus more often than mrt, and those like me hardly monitor the balance in the card [thumbsup][thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

this will be good and convenience for those who travel by bus more often than mrt, and those like me hardly monitor the balance in the card [thumbsup][thumbsup]

But I think the Citibank credit card more useful. Don't even need to rmb to top up at all.

• Praise 2

But I think the Citibank credit card more useful. Don't even need to rmb to top up at all.

a lot major bank carry cards that have the similar function too. I believe so long it is payWave capable it can do it.

TBH, the Citibank SMRT card got not much benefits IMO

mine auto topup for 3 yrs now...got rebate summore......

Doesn't work unless you have an NFC-SIM, whatever that is. Simply using NFC-enabled phones doesn't work. The worst part is that the app wastes a LOT of your time and effort to fill in all your particulars including Name, NRIC, CAN no., key in your OTP, blah blah... before telling you the damn thing doesn't work because you don't have an NFC SIM. [rolleyes]

Edited by Turboflat4

can they just implement ezlink into NFC enabled fones? sheesh

no good...

transport company want a share,

govt want a share,

bank want a share,

then like that telco also want a share...

post-137832-0-06776100-1386301430_thumb.jpg

Land Transport Authority-owned EZ-Link has launched an app that turns your smartphone into a mobile machine that tops up the value of your EZ-link card.

Touted to be the world's first, the My EZ-Link Mobile app automates payment by charging to a user-designated Visa and MasterCard debit or credit card. Users must first enter personal and payment details into the app before they can tap their EZ-Link card on the smartphone to top up.

The app works only on smartphones that are near field communications (NFC) enabled. NFC is a wireless transmission technology that allows mobile payment.

With this, commuters need not visit ATMs or EZ-Link machines anymore. The smartphone payment option adds to existing fuss-free Giro and automatic stored-value reload options tied to the POSB ATM card and most credit cards.

Source: The Straits Times

pretty useless, only selected FEW handsets compatible. for those that take public transport often, top and tap will do similarly.

world's first? waste of time, money and effort imo.

Definitely useful for me and my family.

I have to topup the ezlink cards for my kids and myself every other week, and must do it at somewhere that has the topup facility. I cant topup more value for my kids as they will use it to buy sweets in 7-eleven shops when they go for enreachment classes!

More I can do it at the comfort of my home at my convenience. Excellent.

• Praise 1

Definitely agree with you about urgency on improving service, and reliability.

But if we have to have impeccable service and reliabilty before enhancing other aspects, it would be a long long long wait as it would take awhile to sort out and implement.

If there are useful features that could be implemented now at reasonable costs, why not do it to enhance the experience?

There's another thread on this. Personally, I think it's rubbish because you need an NFC-SIM, it doesn't work with a mere NFC-enabled phone. In that sense, the article is very misleading. And the worst part is that you have to fill in all those particulars, wait for OTP etc. before it tells you it won't work. Couldn't the stupid developer have programmed that check upon installation?

EDIT: OK, honestly I am not sure whether there's such a thing as an NFC-SIM, but my phone (Samsung Galaxy Mega) is definitely NFC-enabled. So I'm not sure if it's refusing to work because of a SIM issue or because the app simply doesn't work on this model. Either way, it's very poor programming to not alert the user immediately upon start of install.

Edited by Turboflat4

There's another thread on this. Personally, I think it's rubbish because you need an NFC-SIM, it doesn't work with a mere NFC-enabled phone. In that sense, the article is very misleading. And the worst part is that you have to fill in all those particulars, wait for OTP etc. before it tells you it won't work. Couldn't the stupid developer have programmed that check upon installation?

EDIT: OK, honestly I am not sure whether there's such a thing as an NFC-SIM, but my phone (Samsung Galaxy Mega) is definitely NFC-enabled. So I'm not sure if it's refusing to work because of a SIM issue or because the app simply doesn't work on this model. Either way, it's very poor programming to not alert the user immediately upon start of install.

NFC-SIM card is to turn your handphone into a ezlink card of sort. This apps does not need the special simcard.

I have tried it to do topup successfully. Very straight forward, just follow short procedure. Just that only those blueblooded ezlink cards can do topup, all listed in the apps page. The MOE-issued ones can only read, and not topup.

Other than that, I am quite pleased with the apps.

PS. please remeber to turn on the NFC function in the handphone.

• Praise 1

NFC-SIM card is to turn your handphone into a ezlink card of sort. This apps does not need the special simcard.

I have tried it to do topup successfully. Very straight forward, just follow short procedure. Just that only those blueblooded ezlink cards can do topup, all listed in the apps page. The MOE-issued ones can only read, and not topup.

Other than that, I am quite pleased with the apps.

PS. please remeber to turn on the NFC function in the handphone.

Thanks for the info.

Too bad, my card was change to the flashpay card which is not workable with this app. :(

Hope in near future, there is an app to top up for the flashpay card.

↡ Advertisement