Nail in the coffin for Skoda?

Coolpica

Those were the days - Skoda Rapid (rear-engine) and Lada Samara, quite a good numbers were sold. Most went up in smokes along the roads, which I can still vividly recall. Don't think they lasted 5 years. Rode on the Samara before, rear ride was terrible. After these two "successful" brands were brought in, another agent brought in Yugo, but wasn't selling well (if at all).

Lads Niva jeep not bad??!! Tough budget 4x4!

Edited by Maseratigood
↡ Advertisement

that time studying....u own a ride champion liao! it was a basic bnb car....enuff to ferry u from point A to B

The jokes about these cars:-

1. If you don't close the right door very very gently, the left door will open by itself

2. If you own a second hand one, after you pump full tank, the value of the car will double

3. You can't sell it to scrapyards, but only to garang kuni men.

Speaking as a Superb owner, I would buy a Skoda again. I bought it used and no matter how I look at it, the car is extreme value for money.

No one in my family prefers to be in my E class, especially when going out as a family. The legroom is just astounding. Plus there are enough toys to keep the kids happy. Everyone can Bluetooth their phones to the HU and play their music or watch YouTube vids with the audio streamed through the car stereo. Or they can play their favourite dvds on any journey. Not so easy on the Merc.

But the most entertaining thing about the car is the self parking. The kids are always asking me to looking for parallel parking lots so they can watch the car park itself. They really get a kick out of it.

Sure it's not as refined or well made, or nice riding as the Merc, but it is by no means shoddily put together or uncomfortable either.

Even if the agent disappears, I will still buy one. I have no problems servicing the car outside. It's basically a VAG car. Many parts are the same with the Passat/A6.

Reliability wise, no issues at all in the 2 years that I've owned it. Just oil changes and 1 plug/filter change. Brake pads still have life. Maybe it drinks a bit of engine oil, but it's no worse than my ex BMW.

Every time my wife sits in it (she drives the merc most of the time), she says she understands now why I bought it, cos she was dead set against it at first because of the brand (even after I bought it). She now realises that the Skoda is in many ways better than the Merc, in few ways not as good, but the merc is in no way worth double the amount that I paid for it.

I've been made fun of by my friends who say "broke also no need to buy Skoda what?", but when they sit in it, not a single one didn't come away impressed.

I have much more emotional attachment towards my merc, but the Skoda simply does everything so well that I don't often remember it.

It's like a pair of Focal Twin 6 BE studio monitor speakers. Not too expensive, incredibly detailed, high tech, well-built, thoroughly enjoyable most of the time. You turn it on and enjoy the content instead of focussing on the medium of delivery.

My friend who drives one also told me the same.

Edited by Maseratigood

Speaking as a Superb owner, I would buy a Skoda again. I bought it used and no matter how I look at it, the car is extreme value for money.

No one in my family prefers to be in my E class, especially when going out as a family. The legroom is just astounding. Plus there are enough toys to keep the kids happy. Everyone can Bluetooth their phones to the HU and play their music or watch YouTube vids with the audio streamed through the car stereo. Or they can play their favourite dvds on any journey. Not so easy on the Merc.

But the most entertaining thing about the car is the self parking. The kids are always asking me to looking for parallel parking lots so they can watch the car park itself. They really get a kick out of it.

Sure it's not as refined or well made, or nice riding as the Merc, but it is by no means shoddily put together or uncomfortable either.

Even if the agent disappears, I will still buy one. I have no problems servicing the car outside. It's basically a VAG car. Many parts are the same with the Passat/A6.

Reliability wise, no issues at all in the 2 years that I've owned it. Just oil changes and 1 plug/filter change. Brake pads still have life. Maybe it drinks a bit of engine oil, but it's no worse than my ex BMW.

Every time my wife sits in it (she drives the merc most of the time), she says she understands now why I bought it, cos she was dead set against it at first because of the brand (even after I bought it). She now realises that the Skoda is in many ways better than the Merc, in few ways not as good, but the merc is in no way worth double the amount that I paid for it.

I've been made fun of by my friends who say "broke also no need to buy Skoda what?", but when they sit in it, not a single one didn't come away impressed.

I have much more emotional attachment towards my merc, but the Skoda simply does everything so well that I don't often remember it.

It's like a pair of Focal Twin 6 BE studio monitor speakers. Not too expensive, incredibly detailed, high tech, well-built, thoroughly enjoyable most of the time. You turn it on and enjoy the content instead of focussing on the medium of delivery.

SUPERD! You can apply as part-time SE at Harvest

As young men, five or six of us piled into the Samara of one of our friends lucky enough to have his own car. However, its aircon was broken; so were its window winders. Whenever the car came to a stop at a traffic light, we had to open the doors to get some cool air into the car. Comical sight. But hey, it was a set of wheels.

LOL, i have a hunch you can afford to buy them over......

Please! No way...

Just that my life aspirations aren't in the direction of car sales person, so the money needs to be extremely attractive to make up for it, haha...

Looking at Skoda's sales record, it's probably the worst brand of car to depend on for bringing home the bacon...

Skoda, was priced too high. They should have priced it at slightly higher prices than Toyota's they would have sold tons.

Having owned a Superb 1, best car bought and driven. No regrets.

• Praise 1

Skoda, was priced too high. They should have priced it at slightly higher prices than Toyota's they would have sold tons.

Having owned a Superb 1, best car bought and driven. No regrets.

They were prob trying to maintain it as a Premium Brand n not as a poor mans VW.

Honestly like u said, if it was more competitively priced, I wud have got one.

I think highly of the car but for their prices, I might as well add a bit more n get a VW. But now with all the problems with the VW DSG, I think even VW wil take a long time to recover their good name.

As young men, five or six of us piled into the Samara of one of our friends lucky enough to have his own car. However, its aircon was broken; so were its window winders. Whenever the car came to a stop at a traffic light, we had to open the doors to get some cool air into the car. Comical sight. But hey, it was a set of wheels.

U all never keep a lookout for 7Eleven stores? Everytime u see one, stop n buy a big bag of ice to put in the car. Hahaha.

They were prob trying to maintain it as a Premium Brand n not as a poor mans VW.

Honestly like u said, if it was more competitively priced, I wud have got one.

I think highly of the car but for their prices, I might as well add a bit more n get a VW. But now with all the problems with the VW DSG, I think even VW wil take a long time to recover their good name.

Well, thi is my view,

Luxury branded cars are like mistresses, they're expensive, reliablility isn't a concern.

Japanese cars are like maids, they work well when contract is new, towards the end of term, they give problems.

Skoda, well, is a good faithful wife. Looks dull but faithful.

• Praise 1

Well, thi is my view,

Luxury branded cars are like mistresses, they're expensive, reliablility isn't a concern.

Japanese cars are like maids, they work well when contract is new, towards the end of term, they give problems.

Skoda a wife material? I thought Japs are!?

• Praise 1

Well, thi is my view,

I find the Skoda cars quite good looking actually. Maybe cos I ah pek? [rolleyes]

Only thing is the too high prices n I wonder if I can get it repaired at the Jb WS I go to?

I think highly of Skoda but their prices were just too high.

Slightly more than a Toyota can still consider.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wah...sold Pine country club for $218 million profit and nearly declared a bangkrupt the same year! Rich pips sure got many pattern wan! Close here closed there open here open there....am i reading it at a superficial level?

Pines Country Club belonged to Peter Kwee, not Daniel Au.

In-laws lei....if i am working as directir of a company owned by my FIL, the company is as good as mine! Just another family owned business just like our very own u know who. Its just my own simplistic assumption, no need to dwell on it. Edited by Eviilusion

Turbocharged

Skoda a wife material? I thought Japs are!?

more like huge, strong and sturdy like an eastern european woman to me..

more like huge, strong and sturdy like an eastern european woman to me..

Hahahaha. Suddenly I am put off buying a Skoda. [rolleyes]

Like marying a female wrestler or a female sumo wrestler?

Daniel Au is the Son-In-Law of Peter Kwee.

↡ Advertisement