Little india riot

Vega

I remember in 1984 New Year Day, riots happen at Hougang and Jalan Eunos areas

It was between S Korean and Thai nationals fighting at both construction sites (building HDB flats), ambulance also overturned. Called for duties after midnight and kana standby for 4 days without changing of cloths.

[:|][:|]

The one who "Junked" me, you are [hur][hur] and inmatured. Go and dig out both the incidents and read.... [:|]

I was at the scene in Hougang incident and right in the middle of missiles throwing (bricks, stones, iron rods, wooden pranks, ... etc.) and trying to separate both the Thai & S. Korean workers fighting at the construction sites. After an hours or so, the incident at Hougang had spreaded over to Jalan Eunos and another fight broke out there between Thai & S Korean..... [sly]

Edited by Picnic06
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Unfortunately for the uneducated ones who come mostly from villages, they are also more likely to do funny things like join in a mob.

I mean really, the mob really wanted to lynch the bus driver instead of roughing him up. He would probably be dead. Even if the SOC or Gurkhas were already in position. [sweatdrop]

their mental age will probably remain at 10 years old where they only follow a few 'smarter' leaders.

Edited by Jman888

I'm a sadist. I don't believe in killing. Make them feel pain [sly]

For the rioters? Agreed.

let's not change that. Several factors at play here, alcohol, mob incitement, etc.

there would be bad apples and let's not smear all with a single brush just bcos of this incident.

Peace

first time i see ST a little thicker than usual....hahahahah

Not all the FWs are bad, nor are they all good. But the bad ones, those responsible for this incident, should be punished severely to make sure they either don't do it again, or leave for good and never come back.

For instance, obeying traffic laws in Singapore. This could have been properly addressed a long time ago. The police could've come down hard on jaywalkers. Even if catching and penalising every single one of them wasn't possible, they could've caught enough of them and made a severe example (jail/deportation with blacklisting) to have warned future offenders. Only enforcement of jaywalking I've seen is at Orchard Road esp outside Tangs could be due to more accident?

There are many other steps that could've been taken - banning night time sales of alcohol, severely punishing public inebriation, etc. But the authorities were remiss in not acting on all these potential triggers, and now this incident has ignited everyone's shock and outrage like a spark to a powder-keg. But a dispassionate observer should recognise that the flashpoint was a long time coming. Banning consumption of alcoholic in public places would be a good start, don't forget to target areas like Clarke Quay. Really a sore sight to see youngsters getting drunk and lying around those areas.

Actually, i totally agree with your suggestions.. however, they are not practical in implementation.

When i was at little india, i am always force to walk on the road.. because there there is limited walking space in the pathment.. shops put their good outside the shop.. And if the place is crowded.. you can hardly sequeeze pass the ppl.. that's if you want sequeeze through a sweaty crowd. So, it not practically to ask these FW to stay off the street.. Secondly, how do you want to punish them for jaywalking.? FINE them ? or put them in jail ? send them back because of jaywalking.. ha ha ha .. not practical either..

As for alcoholic as mentioned above, its impossible selling/buying of booze.. they can always buy form them bugis area before heading down to little india to drink. Ban the drinking of alchol, same reason as above.. how do you intend to punish them ?

I just tot that.. we are just as bad as our MP if we start to plan in our ivory towers.. and not see how practical is the implementation.

• Praise 1

Contractor have S class income? Wow.

Then Poh Lian Construction shouldn't have went bankrupt this year right?

Not to mention the 2 MRT related construction companies, Alpine Bau and Samdaiyang Development.

There are many Bkt in sk, S class income or not still drving S class. They just know how to park their $$$.

ha ha ha .. i like your idea..

then..our property prices will go up 2-3 fold... :)

You also drink too much issit ?

land cost/rental/lease is determined by....?

its all about the way its engineered...

I think culturally, bangladeshi and indian nationals express their emotions and joys differently.

They are likely more to break out in dance in joy, more likely to cry mother cry father when in grief and when in pain. Any healthcare worker will know the expression "paining"

Unfortunately for the uneducated ones who come mostly from villages, they are also more likely to do funny things like join in a mob.

I mean really, the mob really wanted to lynch the bus driver instead of roughing him up. He would probably be dead. Even if the SOC or Gurkhas were already in position. [sweatdrop]

ya i know...worked with them before. See the riots in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri lanka. Very easy to egg them on especially when there is a crowd watching. They let their emotion runs riot! Singaporean guys have been trained to check their emotion during ns....no matter how bad the situation/punishment think about the consequences!

You won't get response from them one [hur] , maybe they discuss in their community to junk you more only.

The one who "Junked" me, you are [hur][hur] and inmatured. Go and dig out both the incidents and read.... [:|]

I was at the scene in Hougang incident and right in the middle of missiles throwing (bricks, stones, iron rods, wooden pranks, ... etc.) and trying to separate both the Thai & S. Korean workers fighting at the construction sites. After an hours or so, the incident at Hougang had spreaded over to Jalan Eunos and another fight broke out there between Thai & S Korean..... [sly]

their mental age will probably remain at 10 years old where they only follow a few 'smarter' leaders.

it's like that one lor. The ones who've been here for few years and the "smarter" ones are usually quite urbane, communicate fairly well considering they weren't taught english formally. Some are just blur until cannot blur any further.

U also see a lot of bangla/indian nationals going toilet together or what just hanging around in groups. sometimes they goof around with each other a lot also. Seriously u don't see the PRCs doing that. They hang around together etc but they always respect each other's private space. And PRCs tend to get into fights more often with each other.

chill bro, his/her job is to "discourage" truths that are too hard....

There are many Bkt in sk, S class income or not still drving S class. They just know how to park their $$$.

land cost/rental/lease is determined by....?

its all about the way its engineered...

i like your answer.. everything can be engineered.. i believe our government just engineered a riot.. ha ha ha .. :P like you say.. they are paid so much.. they need to be god.. can control everything.

Edited by ShepherdPie

Very good liao. I got junk for posting YouTube link. :D Edited by Joseph22

Actually, i totally agree with your suggestions.. however, they are not practical in implementation.

When i was at little india, i am always force to walk on the road.. because there there is limited walking space in the pathment.. shops put their good outside the shop.. And if the place is crowded.. you can hardly sequeeze pass the ppl.. that's if you want sequeeze through a sweaty crowd. So, it not practically to ask these FW to stay off the street.. Secondly, how do you want to punish them for jaywalking.? FINE them ? or put them in jail ? send them back because of jaywalking.. ha ha ha .. not practical either..

As for alcoholic as mentioned above, its impossible selling/buying of booze.. they can always buy form them bugis area before heading down to little india to drink. Ban the drinking of alchol, same reason as above.. how do you intend to punish them ?

I just tot that.. we are just as bad as our MP if we start to plan in our ivory towers.. and not see how practical is the implementation.

no need to jail them.

just take their particulars and then inform their company to deduct their pay and pay the fine on their behalf.

after all, they are here to work and earn enough to retire home.

I expressed my sympathism to these poor FW's who came here working hardest in contruction sites for earning enough monies to support family faraway back home.

I believe they're not aware the seriousness in rioting penalty punisments in our country, if they do, they won't lost their mind in mob attacking government property with smashing and burning.

Their jail term shall be long with cannings, by now the charging officer should have cite to all these 27 the grave consequences, their regrets is too late already [smallcry]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2