Faint knocking sound

Mikelcy1963

I have this faint knocking sound around my front right wheel area for some time now, when car is moving and especially over rough roads. (Sounds like something loose like that).

Sound seems to be from outside of car. On good roads, it is not audible.

I have just changed my lower control arm (bushing was torn) but makes no impact to the sound.

Car is almost 5 yrs old. Shocks is still okay and tyres are new (sound already there even with old tyres).

Wheel bearings are good.

What else should I check for ?

Added info - Been having it for more than a year. Sound is not getting worst but getting on my nerves more and more...

Edited by Mikelcy1963
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have this faint knocking sound around my front right wheel area for some time now, when car is moving and especially over rough roads. (Sounds like something loose like that).

I have just changed my lower control arm (bushing was torn) but makes no impact to the sound.

Car is almost 5 yrs old. Shocks is still okay and tyres are new (sound already there even with old tyres).

Wheel bearings are good.

Added info - Been having it for more than a year. Sound is not getting worst but getting on my nerves more and more...

Check your front sway bar link pin, these 2 item when worn will produce some sort of knocking sound.

2011-03-12_050128_929862.gif

• Praise 1

Wheel bearings are good.

Best way is fr the mech to raise yr car on a lift n use a pry bar to check for loose or worn joints n bushings.

possible issue... sway links or top strut mount. if either one faulty will have a slight knock sound over small bumps. if shock spoil usually u see height ride drop a lot or keep bouncing when going over bump.

Does the sound increase with speed??

It depends more on the road condition than the speed. So its a no. On smooth roads, can't hear the sound.

Will bring it in for another check to see if its the shock absorber or the "front sway bar link pin" as mentioned.

I have the same experiences on the link bar after I change my damaged lower arm.

As for my mechanic, he refer to L-link on FD2.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1