Philips Flattens the Light Bulb

Carmour

Interesting... I din know that a LED bulb can fit into our regular bulb holder.

Phillips_Lightbulb_Redesign-7.jpg
For over 100 years, the light bulb didn't evolve much, generally sporting the same, well, bulbous design ever since Thomas Edison gave us the original in 1879. Lately that's changed as LEDs and CFLs have challenged the conventional bulb, and now Philips is taking light bulb design in a new, flatter direction.

The SlimStyle looks like a light bulb that's hit the gym. It emits light at a brightness equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb, but it's powered by an LED (light-emitting diode), meaning it consumes just 10.5 watts. It also has a rated lifetime of 22 years, so you can count the number of times you'd need to change the bulb in a human lifetime on one hand.

The most novel thing about the SlimStyle, though, is its design. At first glance, it looks shaped like a regular bulb, but when you look at it from the side you can see how slim it is. It still fits in a normal socket, so it's not overly thin, but it's definitely unusual — and easier to screw in.

I got a little hands-on time with the SlimStyle. The light it produces is as warm as an incandescent bulb and it's extremely consistent, with no flicker. It feels more durable, too, with an exterior that's more like hard plastic than glass (though I didn't stress-test it). Unlike some of those twisty CFL bulbs, The LED-based SlimStyle is dimmable.

Phillips_Lightbulb_Redesign-14.jpg

LED lights are considered by many to be the most promising candidate to fully replace the incandescent bulb since they consumer far less power and don't have the trace amounts of toxic mercury found in CFL bulbs. Starting Jan. 1 they'll get a big boost when a federal law goes into effect that will make it illegal to manufacture or import traditional 60- or 40-watt incandescents.

"Right now we're at a really exciting point because LED bulbs have started to break the $10 mark, and fall well below it once you factor in subsidies," says Sal Cangeloso, author of LED Lighting: A Primer to Lighting the Future. "We're still not at the point of mass adoption — it's not entirely clear where that is — but right now we have two significant factors coinciding: dropping prices and the the phase-out of 40W and 60W incandescents going into effect."

The Philips SlimStyle bulb goes on sale January 2 exclusively at HomeDepot.com.

Phillips_Lightbulb_Redesign-4.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

huh ? already have for some time. Philips, Panasonic and some zhap-piao got LED bulbs for E27, saw in NTUC. This - the slim style - is unneccesary if your lamp got space.

• Praise 2

huh ? already have for some time. Philips, Panasonic and some zhap-piao got LED bulbs for E27, saw in NTUC. This - the slim style - is unneccesary if your lamp got space.

Means I dont need LED lamps for LED bulbs?

E27 refers to what bro?

this philips led bulb is good stuff

whether flat type of round type is good stuff

in SG, the 13W round type e27 is going for S$24

in MY, (jalan titiwangsa) there selling about S$18.50

for me i buy the biggest watt available

from what i know, for e27, the current biggest for phillips is 13w

if you guys know of any of those 20w type one, please let me know

Interesting... I din know that a LED bulb can fit into our regular bulb holder.

Phillips_Lightbulb_Redesign-7.jpg
For over 100 years, the light bulb didn't evolve much, generally sporting the same, well, bulbous design ever since Thomas Edison gave us the original in 1879. Lately that's changed as LEDs and CFLs have challenged the conventional bulb, and now Philips is taking light bulb design in a new, flatter direction.

The SlimStyle looks like a light bulb that's hit the gym. It emits light at a brightness equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb, but it's powered by an LED (light-emitting diode), meaning it consumes just 10.5 watts. It also has a rated lifetime of 22 years, so you can count the number of times you'd need to change the bulb in a human lifetime on one hand.

The most novel thing about the SlimStyle, though, is its design. At first glance, it looks shaped like a regular bulb, but when you look at it from the side you can see how slim it is. It still fits in a normal socket, so it's not overly thin, but it's definitely unusual — and easier to screw in.

I got a little hands-on time with the SlimStyle. The light it produces is as warm as an incandescent bulb and it's extremely consistent, with no flicker. It feels more durable, too, with an exterior that's more like hard plastic than glass (though I didn't stress-test it). Unlike some of those twisty CFL bulbs, The LED-based SlimStyle is dimmable.

Phillips_Lightbulb_Redesign-14.jpg

LED lights are considered by many to be the most promising candidate to fully replace the incandescent bulb since they consumer far less power and don't have the trace amounts of toxic mercury found in CFL bulbs. Starting Jan. 1 they'll get a big boost when a federal law goes into effect that will make it illegal to manufacture or import traditional 60- or 40-watt incandescents.

"Right now we're at a really exciting point because LED bulbs have started to break the $10 mark, and fall well below it once you factor in subsidies," says Sal Cangeloso, author of LED Lighting: A Primer to Lighting the Future. "We're still not at the point of mass adoption — it's not entirely clear where that is — but right now we have two significant factors coinciding: dropping prices and the the phase-out of 40W and 60W incandescents going into effect."

The Philips SlimStyle bulb goes on sale January 2 exclusively at HomeDepot.com.

Phillips_Lightbulb_Redesign-4.jpg

• Praise 1

E27 refers to what bro?

e27 means the normal screw type of bulb

e14 is the screw type bluc but the attachmet is smaller

definately no need led lamp

just plug and play

Edited by Mustank
  • Praise 1

E27 refers to what bro?

no need. These LED bulbs are direct 230v fit, no need driver or transformer.

E27 means the screwhead size. Locally the more common are E27 (Big Head) and E14 (Small Head) Pin type called B22

post-1137-0-66462800-1387243223.jpg

• Praise 1

no need. These LED bulbs are direct 230v fit, no need driver or transformer.

E27 means the screwhead size. Locally the more common are E27 (Big Head) and E14 (Small Head) Pin type called B22

attachicon.gifdesc_294437696_00.jpg

my favouriate is the big head one [grin]

because it gives the most firepower [laugh]

i think e14 largest watt is 3w only, never ever buy theose lamps using e14 one

damm restrictive on the avialaibility of watt

at least e27 one got 5w, 7w, 10w, 13w

Edited by Mustank

E27 is the screw in round head connector most commonly used among older light fittings.

E27 LED bulbs usually have their own built in driver. So if spoil just replace the whole bulb.

LED the diode is dam hardy but the driver is fragile...

this philips led bulb is good stuff

whether flat type of round type is good stuff

in SG, the 13W round type e27 is going for S$24

in MY, (jalan titiwangsa) there selling about S$18.50

for me i buy the biggest watt available

from what i know, for e27, the current biggest for phillips is 13w

if you guys know of any of those 20w type one, please let me know

Philips LED bulb is good, and relatively cheap.

Once I bought a Panasonic LED, freaking $50. That's the last time I buy.

As the rest of my CFLs are blown, I will probably replace all with Philips LED.

I won't trust the chapalang chinese made LED either.

• Praise 2

U getting downlight or normal ceiling lights.

Philips LED downlight only have circular one. No square one.

Mine is square. china made but i think its good.

U getting downlight or normal ceiling lights.

Philips LED downlight only have circular one. No square one.

Mine is square. china made but i think its good.

i dont want downlight

because pull the wire very expensive

$50 per pull wire [crazy]

i rather go buy a 12 X e27 crystal light from taobao, then inside i put philips 13w e27 led x 12

ship over all in cost S$350 nia

go and pull 7 wire, already $350 [crazy]

Philips LED bulb is good, and relatively cheap.

Once I bought a Panasonic LED, freaking $50. That's the last time I buy.

As the rest of my CFLs are blown, I will probably replace all with Philips LED.

I won't trust the chapalang chinese made LED either.

dont buy the tiong kok corn type led bulb

my expert firend say inside no driver one, use resistor only

their tiong kok 220v, can use but our 220 to 240v, type cannot

he use for a while jit bah boom liao

waste marnie [smallcry]

i dont want downlight

because pull the wire very expensive

$50 per pull wire [crazy]

i rather go buy a 12 X e27 crystal light from taobao, then inside i put philips 13w e27 led x 12

ship over all in cost S$350 nia

go and pull 7 wire, already $350 [crazy]

dont buy the tiong kok corn type led bulb

my expert firend say inside no driver one, use resistor only

their tiong kok 220v, can use but our 220 to 240v, type cannot

he use for a while jit bah boom liao

waste marnie [smallcry]

Eh almost all the LED lights are MIC leh...

Yeah but downlight chioh. if u are looking for budget then no point.

What crystal light u looking at?

From my biased perspective, I really don't get the crystal lights people keep buying from taobao. They aren't chandeliers which look grand. 2 out of 3 of them look old fashioned.

↡ Advertisement