House Roof Leaking

Altivo

Hi Bros/Sis,

Any good roofing contractor to intro?

I'm staying in a terrace and after wednesday's heavy rain, i noticed a small wet patch on the false ceiling where the bathroom is.

I highly suspect there is a leak.

I think it should be a minor leak since the wet patch is very small despite the super duper heavy rain. My roof is those using clay tiles.

Anyone has experience with leaking roof before? Cos I don't want to be "chop carrot" by the contractor. Any estimate on the cost if it is just to replace a few tiles?

Thanks

Edited by Altivo
↡ Advertisement

Had experience roof leakage before. I called 3 different companies for quote, end up 1 quote $2k for full water proofing and another quote $700 for partial water proofing.

Even though the one that quote $2k seemed a lot more professional when doing the evaluation, I believe he doesn't seem to know where is the exact cause. So end up just choose $700 since they provide 1 year warranty.

There are a lot of companies that provide free quotation. Just look up in green book and ring them up. Standard practice 3 quotes.

Thanks guys.

I have water pipes running above the false ceiling. So my neighbour was telling me it could be a leaking pipe. Not necessarily due to roof. Have arranged a plumber to take a look. And if the pipes are fine, then it is the roof leow

Thanks guys.

I have water pipes running above the false ceiling. So my neighbour was telling me it could be a leaking pipe. Not necessarily due to roof. Have arranged a plumber to take a look. And if the pipes are fine, then it is the roof leow

Pipes that go through the roof are normally ventilation pipes. They seldom leak.

More common leaks occur at the place where the pipe goes through the tiles. The sealant could have hardened and results in a crack between the pipe and the tiles around it!

Just because the wet patch is small may not mean it is minor leak, just that what finally shows through the false ceiling is a small wet patch. Especially if your false ceiling is thick or made of good material or marine wood or something. Just a possibility.

I think it should be a minor leak since the wet patch is very small despite the super duper heavy rain. My roof is those using clay tiles.

Tapping on this old thread.

Noticed recently mold forming on my wall and water patches on the floor.

Turned off the main tap overnite and run off the remainders.

Next day turn it on again and water patches came back few hours later.

Understand that there is a pipe in that wall so it could be leaking.

Will be calling in the contractor to do a survey and quote.

Anyone knows if there will be any hacking involved?

Could glouting or "injection" with chemical do the job?

Thanks

If you want the pipe replaced. definitely will have to hack through the wall. The alternative will be to run a new pipe externally from outside to join after the leak section. And cut-off all supply to the leaking pipe.  

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, bojef said:

Hello. sorry to bother you. I have had a small, annoying but very elusive leak in my roof, which means when there is heavy rain and the wind is strong and in a particular direction, water comes in through my bedroom ceiling. I have lost count of the number of times I have had someone out to look at the roof, and I've spent hundreds of pounds in repair bills. The roof tiles have all been inspected and any that were cracked or chipped replaced, the ridge tiles have been repointed, the mortar on the side of the roof has been repaired were necessary, and there aren't any slipped or missing tiles or anything else untoward. Yet still the water comes in. No one has yet been able to pin point the exact area of entry, even when standing in the loft when its raining and the water is coming in! I got home from work today to discover that the water is coming through yet again. I'm feeling now that enough is enough, and I'm very  reluctant to spend any more money on the roof as it seems to be an impossible case. I'm desperate to decorate my bedroom, but obviously I cant do that until the water stops coming through the ceiling. I've had an idea of buying several metres of a waterproof but breathable fabric (to minimise condensation risks) and spreading that all over the loft in an attempt to stop the water coming through the ceiling below. My question is, would it work? The loft insulation was topped up last year, and I dont go up there or use it for anything. I know its not ideal, but I'm at the end of my tether! Many thanks for reading this

The Queen of England asked me the same question .......... paging   @RadX ............ and look at the GBP 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1